1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Length of barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I just started shooting trap in March and use a 28" Browning Sporting Clays gun. I was thinking about getting a 'trap' gun. I notice that a lot of trap guns are 34". What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a longer barrel?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

sighting plane and a bit of shot speed. Which Browning are you using now?

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Longer barrels seem to help make the barres swing smoother and make it a little more difficult to stop the barrel swing just before you shoot.

Pat Ireland

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you're a tall guy like I am, the longer barrel allows you to rest the muzzle on your toe between shots without leaning over uncomfortably as you must with a shorter barrel.

John C. Saubak

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm with John, when I shoot my 30" 3200 I feel like I'm falling over when resting it on the toe. My 32" 3200 is just right for resting between shots.

My scores with both guns are the same as they are twins otherwise, and I do keep detailed records of my scores.

The 2 inches are virtually indistinguishable when looking out over the barrels and when swinging--for me.

I'd suspect everything else being equal a four inch difference would be more perceptible, and might result in the need for platform shoes for those vertically challenged.

Guy Babin

6. glenns

glenns Member

I did get to shoot a 34" Ljutic and it did seem to swing smoother than my 28".

Barry - I have the Browning Special Sporting Clays O/U, 28" barrel.

Guys - you are right about resting the barrel on your toe. The 34" barrel was much more comfortable. :)

7. glenns

glenns Member

Forgot to ask - is there a specific toe that is traditionally used to rest the gun?

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You could tie a chunk of 2X4 OR a 4X4 on your shoe, "for comfort" and not lose a target due to the barrel length being 28". A fitted to you stock is much more important than barrel length! Hap

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

glenns,

I'm right handed and prefer to rest it on my left toe with my shell holder on my left front. I use my left hand to fetch and load shells while I rest my right forearm on the stock. Quite cumfy! Oh, for complete comfort while leanin on your fancy long barrel, ya gotta use some of those Dr. Scholl's massaging gel insoles. Like wigglin yer toes on a fat woman's belly--wonderful!

Try my technique at your own risk. One time the Pheasantmaster told me I strike a handsome sight on the line the way I rest my gun.

He was either:

a. messing with me

b. flirting,

or

c. trying to give me something to feel good about as I had been shooting like crap that day.

Knowing him, I'd bet it was a. It couldn't be c. cause the pheasantmolester just aint very sensitive, and I choose to block the ramifications of choice b.

Guy B.

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I know this will start some controversy, but... Certain guns are considered best with certain length barrels by experienced shooters. 34" is considered generally best for the Ljutic and 35" in the Silver Seitz for most full size male shooters. AJ

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

About 35 years ago when Remington brought out their 34" Trap Barrel for the 1100, I and a friend each bought one. We are both pretty big guys. With that 34" barrel I could not hit near as many as with the 30" barrel. Same with my friend. I shot about 100 shots thru it and it has been in my closet ever since.

A longer barrel will break more clays for you ONLY IF YOU THINK IT WILL. Much of this game is between the ears. A longer barrel (2") will place slightly more weight foreward and perhaps smooth out your swing ever so slightly. If you were to be blindfolded and someone handed you an unloaded gun to heft and swing and then one with a 2" longer barrel, I doubt you could tell the difference.

Lets not forget A LONGER BARREL WILL SHORTEN THE DISTANCE TO THE TARGET. (lol)

Marc

12. glenns

glenns Member

Those pics are totally grotesque.

"Certain guns are considered best with certain length barrels by experienced shooters. 34" is considered generally best for the Ljutic and 35" in the Silver Seitz for most full size male shooters."

AJ - what is a "full size male shooter?" Are we talking length or girth?

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm tall with long arms and shoot a gun with a 34" barrel and an extended choke tube...

What I like....

When I stand on the 27 my muzzle is on the 25...

Curt

14. glenns

glenns Member

AJ - what is a "full size male shooter?" Are we talking length or girth?

15. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Optimum 1100 and 870 barrel length is 30", isn't it? Assuming factory/normal barrel thickness and diameter. And I agree too long a barrel is not benificial. AJ

16. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

An anthropometric test using circumferential measurements of body on male trapshooters would exceed the norm for Ideal Body Measurements of American males by such a substantial margin that, I fear Glenns you have the better of me, however it is evident that day to day and year to year certain trap barrel lengths are accepted as desirable by the majority. Some who are height and waist impaired may argue re the length needed, but like men with inadequate reproductive organs state... "It's not the length of the tube, but rather what you do with it." AJ ...(I have an education, Don't make me use it!)

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

@ 6'1" & 270 lbs I'm a "full size male shooter"

John C. Saubak

18. glenns

glenns Member

The old saying - It's not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean.

AJ - that was hilarious.

19. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Everyone knows a 34" barrel will shoot 4" further than a 30" barrel!

20. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

" Those pics are totally grotesque."

But they are a graphic display of what can happen when basic gun safety rules are violated. Yet even after seeing the pictures, some will continue to rest the gun on their foot/toe.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.