1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Length of a round of trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blackdogbiz, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackdogbiz

Blackdogbiz TS Member

I was wondering how many minutes the typical round of trap takes?

Thanks,

Blackdogbiz

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It depends on the temperature. HMB

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I go with 15 tics on average when figuring out show times at large shoots.

Guy Babin

5. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

We figure 15min. for for league scheduling and that seems like plenty of time.

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

The clubs that I help at plan on 3 rounds per hour. Sometimes it happens, sometimes - not so much.......

Kip

7. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Alot will have to to with the experience of the squad,the condition of their equipment,the amount 0f blaze orange clothing,the amount of camouflage they are wearing. and the list goes on and on.The lenght of time to start to finish will be in the range of time to when pigs fly.

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Do not have enough experience at enough different places...

But at our club the most experienced, highest scoring squads are by far the slowest.

9. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

When running a shoot the size of the Ohio state shoot I plan 5 squads per hour in 16 yards and about 4 and a half in handicap. If you have kids SCTP shooting in the same program it slows the event down and is hard for me to figure the time 'doubles at fifty to a trap shoot about 4 per hour. Brad

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

When I go to ATA shoots, I figure about 15 minutes per box of shells = one hour for a entry of 100. That includes move and everything. Martinpicker

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Damn Brad, 12 minutes? No wonder I missed my start last year. Thought I had time to eat that apple fritter.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

One time at the Grand, about 30 some years ago, I ended up on a squad of young shooters who about wore me 40 year old butt out.

I'd say they were 1-22 years old and had shot together before.

I finally timed our squad and it was taking us 7 minutes to shoot a round.

I tell you what, it sure didn't give you much time to think about that shot you just missed. lol

If I would have dropped a shell, I'm sure someone would have shot out of turn. lol

It was an eye opener, but it was a little faster than I like to shoot.

Hauxfan!

13. higun

higun Member

5 or 10 per post?

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A good squad with no malfunctions takes about 8 minutes. If you can move four squads per hour through a field thats doing pretty good. A lot of time gets burned up in the transitions from field to field so to minimize that we sometimes have the squads shoot two rounds of 25 at the same house before moving. Not always popular but it does speed things up considerably.

When its just me and a buddy practicing singles we can knock out a round in about 5 minutes.

15. DJSims

DJSims Member

Remember to time this from first shot to the next squads first shot. The time it takes to shoot does not take into account the checking of the score and the confirmation that the yardages and posts are correct.

Brad is on target.

Doug Sims

16. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I understand that to keep a shoot moving, squads need to make every effort to try to keep a round somewhere between 10- 15 minutes.

I don't understand that when there is an equipment malfunction, not any of the shooters mind you, but a trap that is malfunctioning, do I or my squad need to make up the lost time. It's not my or my squads fault that we are behind.

I also have never understood the theory or practice of seeing how fast a squad can finish around. I've seen shooters calling for a bird on their turn as soon as the shooter in front of them fires, and definitely before the previous target or pieces thereof have not even hit the ground.

I am there to compete against the other shooters, not a stopwatch.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

15 minutes

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I never thought we should push shooters either but when you have a squad that should knock off a 100 targets in an hours and takes near 2 hours you have to say WTF?

We have some high school coaches in Nebraska (Omaha) that pride themselves on saying they have developed the 5 point check before every shot.

IDK all there points but it is like this....Gun at rest, CHECK, gun to shoulder, CHECK, Head down, CHECK, Breath CHECK, call for target CHECK, shoot. And I am not bs'ing. Now when you are a shooter next and seriously think there must be a gun malfunction as it takes so long....I mean it was insanely to long.

It is coaches like this that have forced the old "one ruins it for everybody" rule to take place.

So before you think these guys are pushing just to move quicker remember it may not be you they are worried about.

19. James344

James344 Active Member

I always figure on 15 min per rd. Almost always within 10-15 min when reporting to starting bank.

20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

himark,

I also coach youth shooters and we have a "Pre-shot Routine" similar to what you describe for our shooters. Our kids learn it pretty quickly and they are not quite as dramatic as you describe. The only time I have been asked to speed up one of my suads was after there had been trap problems that had nothing to do with the kids.

The kids are learning the sport, give them a break, please.

As with anything, with repetition comes speed. The kids are there to compete against the other shooters whether the competition is also kids or us old farts. They are not there to compete against a clock. There are lots of kids that are enjoying the sport so let them learn the game. All you guys that complain about the kids were kids once, too. I'm sure when you started, you weren't the quickest either.

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

BBB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.