1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lenght of Pull - Important???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Of all the gun fit issues do you think that lenght of pull is the most important? Just wondering before I have a gun cut. Thinking that my gun is a little long and may be causing some neck and shoulder issues. Jean

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

It's not the MOST important to me but it's one part of the comb height/offset and butt pad placement trinity. I solved my neck problems with comb offset rather than stock length. It's easier to shoot a gun that's a bit too long than one that's too short unless that "bit" is a "BIT". I'd say that if your cheek is comfortably on the front half of the comb, it's close to where it should be.

The stock should only be cut by a stockFITTER who knows that there is a 4:1 ratio between what is removed and the change in the distance between nose and thumb (Rollin's stock fitting book). Rather than whack off the whole chunk at once, try it in stages to see if it improves your posture each time.

Morgan

3. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Thanks for your imput. Maybe I will try a thinner pad for now. Already have an adjustable comb and butt plate. J.

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

If you use a high rib, the LOP is shorter, the more upright your head position, your LOP can be shorter.----Phil

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can have a thin pad for winter and a thick pad for summer. HMB

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

K80 hopeful,

What makes you thing the stock is too long?

The correct length is influenced by the length of your neck, the height of your gun mount, the slope of your shoulders and your stance.

Assuming you shoot a gun with a parallel comb, changing the length of your stock will not affect the height your your eye relative to the rib and that's good. The check for stock length is the separation between your nose and trigger-hand thumb with the gun mounted - somewhere between 1" and 1.5".

Unfortunately, that separation can be affected by the height of your gun mount, the length of your neck, etc., etc.

I suggest you remove your recoil pad to see what the reduced length does for you. If the stock is too short, add wood in place of the pad to find how much more length you "need".

Remember the 4:1 ratio when cutting a stock to reduce the nose-to-thumb separation. Have the stock shortened only one-quarter of the distance you want to reduce the thumb/nose separation.

Rollin

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I've not found much difference in 1/8" LOP one way or the other.
    I believe that on this matter, close is good enough.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just a change in shirt/sweater thickness with or with out a shoulder pad will change the LOP by 1/8".

Eric

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hopeful......Your question is a bit like asking if 3 wheels are as good as 4. All the things that make for gunfit are equally important....they got to ALL be right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.