1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

legal speed for trap shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom Parker, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Parker

Tom Parker TS Member

Can anyone tell me what the legal speed of 1oz shells are for trap shooting

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For 12 ga 1oz it's 1350fps and 1290fps for 1&1/8th oz.

Eric

3. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

1290 for 1 1/8 loads, 1325 for 1 oz. loads,and 1350 for 7/8 oz. loads.

D.P.Reynolds

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Tom.... Without a doubt, shell speed is the most often ignored rule in trapshooting today. The rule is overlooked by most simply due to its ability to be enforced. There is no way to tell if a competitors shell is faster than is allowed without it being disassembled and every component weighed, which, in my 30 plus years of trapshooting, has never happened, that I'm aware of. With the different powders, ported barrels, etc. it is impossible to tell by the sound alone if the shell is legal or not. Personally, I don't care what shell my competitors use. They can use 11/4oz of 6's going 1400fps if they choose to. After 100 rounds or so, they can not stay in their guns due to the excessive recoil. I'm a big believer in the "shoot what you bring" theory. With all the controversy about the ATA doing its job, the handicap system, legal target flights, legal target speeds, etc., shell speed is one of those things the late Frank Little used to call trivial garbage. While I believe one can shoot a shell that is too slow to do the job adequately, I also believe there is a point where a shell that is too fast loses its effectivness and becomes detrimental to your scores. Shoot what you feel comfortable with and don't worry about it, no one else does... Just my observations..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From the ATA rule book, ATA web site:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In my 37 yeas of Trap I've never seen anyone check the speed of a shell, anywhere. Has anyone ever seen the speed of the shell checked or even questioned, do to a complaint or suspected cheater?

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

With the diversity of all the powders on the market and shooters blending powders it is impossible to tell speed from weighing powder from dis-assembled shells. Powders like REDCO or PROCO which is Herco Blended with Red Dot and Promo, I do not mix powders but know quite a few who do.

I like 1200 fps shells in ATA Hdcp but am presently shooting up 5 cases of Top Guns 2 3/4 Dr5am 7.5s on first shot of buddy shoots.

I load Promo for ATA Targets almost exclusively.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longhshot

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You can buy a Pro-Chrono chronograph for around $100, it wouldn't be a difficult rule to enforce.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Shotguns are one of the hardest things to chrono. Gases are comming out a head of the shot, and the first few pellets might not be a good result for the main shot charge. Then, even with shade screens on cheaper chronos, full sun, partial sun, shade can give all different readings.

If that isn't bad enough, you need to set up 8' away with a SKEET, or Cyl. choke to get the best readings. Whos got those chokes at an ATA event? An Oehler 35P is what I would use for shotguns.

Wayne

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

There would be arguments forever if the ATA began using chronographs such as Pro-Chrono. There are so many variables such as the distance from the muzzle, muzzle blast, etc., not to mention the difference between the chronographs used by the shell manufacturers that measure the main shot charge vs the chronographs available to handloaders that measure the first pellet across the screen.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What should be checked is shot weight and shot size. But that will never happen either. Could you imagine what would happen when factory ammo is found to be out of spec. HMB

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

They should have to be checked with commercial equipment certifications....

Otherwise, I've got an old ballistic pendulum and a Hollywood chronograph ....

13. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Another one of the ATA stupid rules.

14. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

What is so stupid about it, RWT?

I don't see the problem. All the reloading manuals have loads that fit this criteria. And, some here complain about the 1250 fps loads, saying 1200 should be the max with 1 1/8 the max weight (and some want 1 oz).

Bob

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bob,

It is stupid because it is not being enforced. HMB

16. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Thanks, HMB.

I did not know that no one ever enforced it. I haven't heard of anyone challenging a shooter based on his/her shells and I guess I never really cared.

Seems that the guys who win, at least where I've shot, seem to be using the same shells I do. They just seem to point their guns a little better than I point mine.

I'm really not sure if faster shells than 1250/Super Handicaps would make a difference or not. Seems you still have to have the gun pointed in the right place.

Bob

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

IMHO, we could take a hint from Olympic trap. They regulate the weight and size of shot but there is no speed limit. Very easy to enforce and they take a couple shells from your pocket before a round as evidence for later.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The ATA has to do it different from the rest of the world. HMB

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

When a rule is put in place as such it is a guideline for which the honest to follow. Cheaters will bend the rules regardless of verbage.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Welcome to LaLa Land. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adt trap shot and speed shells

ata shell speed

legal shells for trap shoot

legal shotshells for trapshooting

legal veliocity for trap shooting

what is the ata limits on shell speed