1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Legal Loads???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by John Thompson, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

In the yearbook, page D-15 the last sentence in G-3 leads me to believe that "factory" 3-1/4 Dram shells are not legal. A state delegate says they are legal if the box also states 1290 FPS. What is the answer?

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Winchester Silver Bullets....1150-1350 fps, 510 grains of #7 shot, must be legal...check them yourself.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1200 FPS for a 1&1/8 oz load is the standard. It's what happened next that made it all so confusing. Winchester came out with the Silver Salute neckbreaking handicap load, crowding the 5% allowable variation. Other companies followed suit.

1290 on an ounce shold be legal (3 dram) but 1325 (3&1/4 dr) is not.

Besides, they too, kick like a mule.

Personally I prefer one ounce at 1200 for singles, and a little faster for caps.

HM

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

1 1/8 oz--1290 is legal--1 oz--1325 is legal--7/8 oz--1350 is legal.You are allowed 3% over these limits, also no shot larger than NO 7 1/2 s legal.Also not more than 1 1/8 ounces of shot is allowed.

Trap-4

5. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Looks like halfmile should acquire an ATA rulebook and read it.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Trap4, I believe the velocity numbers you gave are the max allowed, There's no 3% tolerence.

Jim

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jim101 the reference that Trap4 is using is related to shot charges. From the ATA online rule book.

"In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than
    Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%."

This is the only reference I can find to 3%.

Bob Lawless

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Dram Equavilant is a hold over from the Black powder days when powder was measured in "DRAMS". The rules were modified a few yeasrs ago and the new rule is now velocity to weight only. The new limitation is 1290 fps for 1-1/8 oz. 1325 for 1 oz. and 1350 for 7/8 oz. The wording for "Dram Equav." no longer matters, only the velocity in FPS is relevant. Today ATA trap shooting remains the ONLY clay target displine that restricts "speed" . Skeet,Sporting, and Bunker shooting restrict shot size and weight ONLY.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If the guy next to me wants to shoot those thunderclap Super Handicaps, Lord love him! LOL

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is the maximum of 1290 ft/sec the maximum speed of any shot in the pattern or the mean/median/mode of all of the shot in the pattern?

If it were possible to get all of the shot in a shell traveling at 1290 ft/sec 36 inches from an open bore test gun, would this shell be legal in a full choke gun?

Pat Ireland

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- My point is that absolute numbers printed in a book or on a shell box are often not what they seem to be.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.