1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lefties

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BrowningGal, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I just saw on the ATA website that they now have Bob Allen gear that you can buy with the ATA logo embroidered. The upland hunting shirt is very nice, but when I got the looking at it, I was once again reminded that, as a lefty, I'm considered a second-class citizen by the shooting garment makers, and as such, not worthy of having shooting shirts available to me.

That got me to thinking. Surely I'm not the only lefty shooter out there. So, who are some of the great left-handed shooters? Maybe we could all band together and petition Browning, Bob Allen, Cabelas, and others to offer shooting garments that we can purchase and use!

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am also left handed, and yes I also feel like a second class citizen. In the gun business, I once purchased a new left hand remington 1100 trap, as well as a new left hand remington 870 trap. The dealer told me left hand guns are a special order item, so I had to pay more than a right hand gun. When I attempted to trade these guns in, I was told the guns are not worth much because they are left handed. So I was given less than a right hand gun. A week later, he had the guns priced higher because he said they are hard to find. we are in the minority, I have heard 20% of us are left handed. OBVIOUSLY OUR MONEY IS NOT WORTH AS MUCH AS RIGHT HAND SHOOTERS! I have talked to most of the manufacturers, my response was a deaf ear.
    Remembefr, we use the right side of our brain.
    good luck,
    steve balistreri

3. KenC

KenC Member

Daro Handy?

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

i am in the minority, i buy all mine from a lady on e-bay with a store named shooting shirts by fran

bill

5. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

there's a lady that has a booth every year at the Mn state shoot who sells shirts, jackets, caps. she sews in the recoil pads (left or right) will embroider your name and whatever else you want on it. don't know if she only does this during the Mn. state shoot or yr round business. don't know the contact info for her but someone on here from Mn. might know and if she does mailorder. very nice person. dennis

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

B-Gal- Different is not the same as second class. You are a first class shooter who just does things on the other side. About 10% of the population is left handed. I have not quantified the availability of shooting clothing made for left handed shooters but it very well could approach 10%.

Now, if you really want to be well dressed, buy some nice shirts and a little polyester backing (I think that is what it is called). Cut out a pad, pin it to a shirt and have a local seamstress sew on the pad. My seamstress does one for me for $3. It takes her about 3 minutes. More advanced sewing shops can photograph an ATA logo and use a computer operating embroidery machine to embroider the logo on a shirt. The logo is copyrighted and you would be using the property of the ATA. In the unlikely event that Neil catches you, all that would happen is a letter asking you to not do it anymore would arrive in your mail box.

Who knows, you might try this and discover a side business you could start. You can, with some work, get shirts rather cheap. Dicks Sporting Goods donated all of their fall/winter hunting shirts to Goodwill last week and they are now selling in a Goodwill store for $3. The retail price of these shirts was between $35 and $65. You would not get rich but many of your shooting expenses would become tax deductible.

Pat Ireland

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Another thought....

My wife is a lefty and a shooter. She has been able to get the left handed shooting shirts, vest, etc. from Dr. Frank Rively's wife (Patti). Check out his website or call his phone # for info.

Curt

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have learned to make many items myself. or just search deep. Shootthemoon shooting vest are nice custom made geared to women.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

heres the site, my wife is petite and figured, was hard finding a vest that fit. Call them talk to them.

10. mirage1

mirage1 Member

check out Pine Tree Sport Clothing
    Sue Fiischer tel no.1-309-754-8468
    She is Great...!!!
    Joe

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I was in an Engineering meeting a few years ago and as I looked around the table, I noticed that 9 of the 11 engineers present were writing with their left hand. (me included) Turns out this is typical and has to do with natural thought processes. So being a lefty doesn't make a person second class but there are significant differences.

In the context of getting shooting vests etc. that work for the lefty, well the reality is that you are not going to find a lot of off the rack solutions and generally have to go the more expensive custom route. This is okay though because special people deserve the best.

12. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks for all these tips, folks. Lefty Guy Coates

13. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

You're right, I'm not second class. It's just that I see these sharp-looking two-toned shooting shirts, and I think that it would be nice to have one cut for adult-sized women that comes with the patch on the left and the pocket on the right. I'm nowhere close to petite. Suffice it to say that because of "the girls," I usually end up having to buy shirts in the men's department and then custom tailor it at my sewing machine. And I have been known to take a knife and remove the pockets off my shirts (sometimes between events or in the dove field!) because the butt of my gun catches on them. It gets frustrating.

Thanks for the links. I've browsed through Fran's work, but it's been a while. I'll check out the others also.

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Can we as a group do anthing about the other shooters moving the pads to the wrong side of the station ????

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try this?

16. kmks5

kmks5 TS Member

Browning Gal

I Specialize in Left Hand Shooting Shirts with shooting pad and Embroidered shooting designs, both Ladies and Mens.

I also specialize in Big and Tall Shooting Shirts. Right and Left Hand

Check my e-Bay store SHOOTING SHIRTS BY FRAN or e-mail me at
    fmurphee@oh.rr.com .

Call me if you want something special and I will custom make it for you.

440 323 6199

FRAN

http://Stores.ebay.com/Shooting-Shirts-By-Fran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.