1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lefthand trap shooter info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is there a good sorce of lefthand trapshooting info, books,web site ect ect. Was reading Remingtons Trap shooting handbook. All good for a righty. I normally just reverse everything. I do like how ever to read info and tips for lefties by lefties in the lefty text.

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Daro Handy is a left handed super shooter that has a dvd out. I am left handed too and just hate the saying, all you left handers just reverse everything. It is NOT exactly that easy. If you can talk Larry McKinnley of Missouri into a personal clinic he is a very good left hander as is Steve Carmichael in Las Vegas. The best advice I can give is to stand with your feet parallel with the most extreme right angle target on each post and to use the Remington hold points to start off with, change what does not work and make the rest yours and do it every time. Good luck, John

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thank you there are few angles that keep giving me a bit of trouble. post 1 right/straight path. 4&5 is the left/straight angles. These are the most consistant miisses. I also agree just reversing every thing is not all that great, its nice to just read or watch something thats in the lefty relm. I've gotten frustrated with people on this and then handed them the gun and SHOW ME.
    Im a TRUE lefty- eye dom , write, eat, throw,fish, golf , hockey....I have a right side shot, the hand on top of the stick controls the stick , true lefty.

4. skrap

skrap Member

maclellan

I am also a "correct-handed" shooter. My situation is dictated by eye dominance, otherwise I am generally right handed. bcnu gives good advice about both your foot position and observing other LH shooters. Being parallel with the most extreme angle allows your body to swing free as you follow the target. Personally, the biggest help I got was from watching other LH shooters, preferably top notch ones. I had the good fortune of living in Vandalia and could go up and watch the best LH's in the country. We also have alot of very good LH shooter in the immediate area. Take time to watch them, note their foot position, hold points, and other setup practices. Don't be afraid to go up and speak to them at the appropriate time. Tell them your situation and most will be happy to explain their game to you. And as bcnu says... observe and practice; keep what works and discard what doesn't.

Skrap

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

What I have learned from other southpaws.....

1. Anyone can shoot right handed.

2. If you are a two eyed shooter, no dots or anything. Hold your gun just under the height the target will come out for an extreme left about a foot and a half to the left of the house on post one.

3. Post two, right on the left corner of the house two feet or so high.

4. post three, a quarter in from the left about two feet high.

5. Post 4, center of the house two feet high.

6. Post5, right on the top of the house a quarter in from the right side. Because if you are holding high on this station, you could lose the right hand angle bird in your barrel.

7. Look under/thru the barrel(s). Lock on the target eyes first, THEN let gun follow it and let your brain pull the trigger and follow through. It is not rocket science. Don't over think the game, and have FUN. Oh, and do it the same way EVERY DAMNED TIME. Not half the time, not most of the time, every time. Watch and see if your scores don't start climbing. And on doubles post three, if you are having trouble with it, try taking the right bird first.

And if the gun does not feel EXACTLY right when you mount it for God's sake, take it completely down and remount it. And read Frank Hoppes article in trap and field, control the little things.

Good luck and that will be $100.00 for a crash course lmao.

John

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Another lefty here (one eyed, thank you very much)...good info BCNU. I'm no where experienced as BCNU or anyone else, but I can relate.

I was taught to hold for the straightaway, stand for the angle and wait for the target to clear my barrel before moving. I'd been having a bit of an issue on 5 straightaways lately and found I was lifting my head (eyes) just enough to sail right over the target. I lowered my hold just a tad and the problem seems to be solved. I recently raised my comb quite a bit on my new gun, but didn't allow for the raised POI. An adjustment on my hold height made all the difference. I could not clearly see the target and when you can't see the target, you can't hit it.

Posts 4 & 5 are our 'natural' sides and targets we miss generally are due to mistakes we may make (lifting our head, stopping the gun, not reading the quarter angle correctly). Post 1 & 2 we can tend to push the gun off of our face on the hard angles. I hold lower on 1 (the only post I actually hold that low), so I can 'lock on' to the target and keep the gun in my face. Easier said than done, but with practice I can honestly say, I don't drop many on 1 or 2 unless I stop my gun or arm shoot (which I do when I get tired).

I definitely agree with BCNU on Post 3 doubles - I couldn't hit the left target first to save my soul. My coach switched me to hitting the right one first, changed where I held my gun and now I regularly shoot 9 or 10 on it.

It takes practice and patience, but you'll get over your problem targets in no time.

Just my experience...YMMV

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

The Remington Trap Shooting Handbook was also issued in a left-hand shooters version. I printed a copy for Remington's web site.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Left handed shooters have an insurmountable problem. They can see the shooter who has just shot. If this shooter lost a bird he might be stomping his foot, tossing a hull and flinging his hat into the air as the left handed shooter is calling for the bird. This is distracting.

Pat Ireland

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Go fish,,,,could you post that web sight, sure would be nice. Thank you.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I,ve been able to work out the distractions quite well. One distraction that still gets me now and then is the closing of the action of the shooter to my right when im preparing to shoot. The missed shots are more of a problem for me

11. skrap

skrap Member

Thank you Pat Ireland!!!!

What you say about Lefties seeing the previous shooter is absloutely correct. All can be said about focusing out front but I can still see that shooter in my peripheral vision, even with an extended blinder. Shooter etiquette is greatly appreciated, some do & some don't. If I experience a severe movement problem, I usually wait until the dust has settled and continue. This will most often send the message.

On the same note I as a lefty also know that the righthander has me in his peripheral vision and I try to stay as still as a statue while he shoots.

Skrap

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

You are getting some great advice here and the best of it is to practice practice practice. If you don't shoot a bunch of shells how would you ever expect to shoot with guys that do? I have gotten some great advice from a lot of shooters with more experience than myself and the jist of it is to find what works for you and put it to work. Dan

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shoot as much as possible. I have reached a level now where it seems to be a few consistant areas in need of attention. I have not shot a lot of ATA targets. The ATA events are limitted to Massachusetts for me do to $$$$. Im at 5000 rnds/20 flats this year practice/ATA combined. We watched a clay shooting how to video at the club, of corse all righthanded shooting no mention of lefty shooting. I have recieved great advice on ts.com. Great help in getting my XT set up patterned and on track and now a bit more on lefty issues. My biggest problem now is how many shooters still tell me im holding the gun wrong!LOL righties. PS i started trap shooting March 06 and started ATA feb 07 like it very much so. I have had the luck of a member who will take the time to track your hits and misses and that has helped greatly.

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Mr. Ireland hit it on the "head". Blinders and concentration help. After 56 years, I've learned to read "upside down".Golf was much harder than trapshooting to learn lefthanded....left is right/right is left....LOL. And I don't advise looking "mirror imaged" at a shotgun.

15. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Shouldn't need anyone to track misses for you. That just reinforces the miss. You should be working on what you did right to make the hit. Phil K says in his articles and class' that 95% of missed targets are low and behind so why focus on that if you already know that 9.5 out of every 10 misses are the same thing? Work on what is right not what is wrong.

And take a clinic. That and Terry Jordans wall chart are the two best values in trapshooting today. I have taken Harlan and Leo's clinics and got a lot from both.

As a side note, I have noticed that when I started shooting less practice and more registered, I have gained several % in averages. Try laying off as much practice every week and shoot a little more registered. With the rising prices of practice everywhere, it is not much more expensive to shoot registered.

John

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

"Left handed shooters have an insurmountable problem. They can see the shooter who has just shot. If this shooter lost a bird he might be stomping his foot, tossing a hull and flinging his hat into the air as the left handed shooter is calling for the bird. This is distracting."

Pat, You are absolutely right. One thing a left hander has to do even more than other trapshooters is reset the routine completely if there is something distracting. Even if it slows the squad or changes the rhythm a little more than usual with all righthanders, it is critical.

Jake

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

LOve to shoot more ATA but time money schedule is very conflicting, My first year shooting ATA. There are only 6 clubs hosting 50 events total 19 during the week,I have shot 6 events so far. I most likely will only make it to 5 more events before target year ends. The summer league at club has 6 more weeks. I plan on taking a break. Will not shoot winter league this year. Next ATA year maybe better. hopefully there will be more clubs not less.

18. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

This is the web site were I found the left-hand version

http://post46.org/trapshooting/trapshooting/Trap%20Shooting%20Fundamentals.htm

tried it this morning and its OK

ED

19. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Hey, Go Fish. I just tried it exactly as you printed it. Didn't work for me. Sure there isn't a www first or Remington or something else? Thnx

20. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

The link worked for me just as it is; a bit short on information though. Gotta love the right handed shooter on the left handed information page!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.