1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Left or right?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

OK, this should be an easy 2 part question. PIcked up an older Rem 870 trap. It is right hand, Monte Carlo trap stock. Love the gun but was missing hard rights and lefts. Patterned the gun at 25 yards to see POI. Elevation was great but center of impact was a full 18 inches to the left. duh...pattern first, shoot 2nd. Anyway, the fellow running the range said I needed to ADD a pad or foam to the stock. To me that seemed counter intuitive...I would think I would need to move my head more to the right. Then again, my intuition is correct about 50% of the time....at best. So, add material or get ajustable comb so I can move the comb to the right.

2nd Question....has anyone used the black synthetic stock advertised on this site and have you been pleased? Thanks much. RICH

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

RICH

I would look for some other cause rather then a comb adjustment. If what you said is correct Joe's answer would be correct but, I would bet the trouble is something else. When you check for POI you should dead rest the gun and then fire it. You need a good target that is well marked.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Is the barrel straight?

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this but you aren't gonna compensate for a POI 18 inches to the left at only 25 yards with only the comb. That barrel is either bent or has a serious flaw and even a chokesmith can't fix it that much with a choke job. On the other hand you could be that far to the left if you crossfired and your left eye was doing the sighting.

5. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Good question Wolfram....I will take a real close look! Is there an easy way to check? I tried to do a good job of checking the POI. I carefully fired three separate shots at 3 separate targets using my normal, comfortable sight picture.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Put a deprimed empty 12 ga hull in the chamber and hold the barrel up to a source of light. You will see perfectly concentric rings inside the barrel if it is straight.

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Let someone else shoot it and see if it still shoots that far left before throwing money at it. Again in most cases its the Indian,not the arrow. Most of the targets I miss are due to a bad gun mount.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jersey Shooter,

Your eye is pretty good at detecting even minute curves in surfaces. Look down the barrel from the butt of the gun. (set the gun on a chair or in a vise if you have one. Do you see a curve in the barrel? How about the stock? Is it cast to one side or the other?

Take the barrel off and look for the concentric rings that Mike TMX talked about.

If you really don't detect anything perhaps you could borrow another 870 barrel from someone and try it on your gun to see if the POI problem still exists. If it does then you have ruled out the barrel as the problem. Move on to stock modifications or other investigations. If the gun shoots where it is supposed to with another barrel then you know you got a bad tube. The good news here is that 870 barrels are common and reasonably priced if you should need a replacement.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.

9. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Thanks to all...let you know when I git her fixed. Now that it is a bit of a mystery, I am too stubborn not to solve it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.