1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Left handers and cast....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trail, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trail

Trail Active Member

I'm looking for a O/U trap gun for my son. He's a lefty. He's 15, so big bucks is not an option. Right now I'm looking mostly at used Citori trap's and used SKB's. So....here's the question....these guns tend to be more "neutral" that most, but they still have some cast off. Some more than others. How big a deal is this to the lefty? I'm sure many of you have shot "right handed" O/U's. I just passed on a good deal because I thought the stock a lot of cast off...more that some I've seen. Am I making too big a deal about this? Problem of course is once you buy it and shoot it it's yours...

thanks to all,

Trail

ps...not interested in an auto.... !

2. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

I am right handed, but left eye dominant, so I shoot left handed. I have a Browning O/U Trap Combo with right hand cast (not much) that I use regularly. I didn't have much trouble getting used to it. Not too many left hand guns out there. If the gun feels good to your son, I suspect he will do just fine with the righty.

3. 682psf

682psf TS Member

find somthing and put a presision fit on it. im left eye dominint and use one

4. kolarroy

kolarroy TS Member

Just some helpful reminders. Make sure you buy a straight cast stock with no rollover on the comb for right hand shooter. Also, check to make sure there is no toe-out for righty. After this, you can install an adj. butt-plate and have a goood stock man cast the wood for a lefty. I have been thru this for 26yrs. Right handed stocks will kick him in the face resulting in him having little interest in shooting. Hope this helps, Roy

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'm a lefty. I've struggled with just plain living in a right hand world. Many will tell you that it's no big deal or "he'll get used to it." It is a big deal.

Improper cast is a very difficult thing to overcome. In order to make it work, he will have to either mount the gun near his sternum or shoot to the left of everything. Neither of these is a desirable choice.

Citoris come from the factory with a neutral cast. Some stocks move over time and some are bent. Still, you are correct to say that the Citori gives you the best chance at a straight stock.

SKB, when they were in business, offered stocks for both left and right shoulder shooters. So, look closely at these before purchasing one.

I was shooting well with an 870 Wingmaster. I got the O/U bug and sold the 870 for a budget O/U. My scores plummeted. Why? Because it was cast for a right shoulder shooter. I didn't realize it at first, then someone pointed it out to me. I sold it and became very well versed in stock cast. I now look very closely at every gun I purchase.

6. Trail

Trail Active Member

kolarroy....please explain toe-out. I'm familiar with cast on and cast off....not toe out.

thanks

Trail

7. Trail

Trail Active Member

kolarroy....please explain toe-out. I'm familiar with cast on and cast off....not toe out.

thanks

Trail

8. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I am a lefty and I shoot a right trap gun.
    The bad think about buying a left hand gun is if you ever want to sale it the life hand guns are some times hard to sell.

9. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

If he just want to shoot it is no problem, but if he wants to win and compete at the shoot a left hand stock is what he needs. I to am a left hand shooter and the proper stock dim. are a must. It will make the work easy to break targets and also has less felt recoil. thanks Ronnie

10. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

If the toe is cast out for the right-handed shooter, it makes alignment even worse for the left-handed shooter who tries to shoot the gun. It will usually be uncomfortable for the lefty, and may also result in too much tilting of the head as well as canting of the gun. Browning made a few lefty Trap XT's, and there are some lefty Browning 525's and 625's. Another option might be a Wenig lefty stock as an after-market option. If you picked up a used Precision Fit Stock it can be converted for right or left-handed use with, and transfer to, certain guns. Bob

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

As mentioned earlier, the Browning Citori's are neutral. I am a lefty and shoot an XT without any problems. The XT's do have a right hand palm swell, and it would be nice if it were left handed, but the palm swell is no big deal. Mine has the adjustable comb as well. Krieghoff K80's are generally neutral, but I recall you mentioned that budget was an issue.

The guns that I have found that typically have a right hand bias are the Perazzi's, Guerini's, Beretta's, and Blaser's. These can be purchased with left hand stocks as an option, if you can find one.

bluedsteel

12. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Its a big deal. I"m a lefty. I've had several LH guns but finally found the right one that fits me. Scores have gone up substancially. If I buy a gun that has cast for a righty, its only temporary and I plan on selling it. I do have one RH gun that I'm considering getting bent. A 16 ga Browning 525 30 sporting model. It was claimed as being neutral when I bought it(online) and as always it was cast off. They don't make a LH one or any for that matter anymore, so maybe Mike Orlen can fix me up. JW

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty. I have an SKB 85tss that I shoot sporting clays with. It has a neutral cast. They are a pretty good bargain, and SKB in Omaha has plenty of parts on hand for service.

14. bob w 1945

bob w 1945 TS Member

Look in snd inrxpnsive winchester Mod 12. buy removing the stoce you can change the cast by taking a file where the woof mated to the reciever, try it in very small increments.good luck

BOB E.

15. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I'm a leftie and I've tried shooting RH stocks. Initially, it looks like it will work. Then I relax a little, ease up, or the like and it turns into a bad dream. Things just get worse and worse. Ultimately, I give up and get a LH stock. This has happened to me several times.

My point here is that a RH stock may seems suitable at the outset, but it won't last, and your boy will get discouraged.

The Wenig LH stock is a good idea. If you don't go for really good wood, it's not all that expensive.

Another approach is to get a used neutral stock (not hard to find) and put an adjustable comb and butt plate on it. That will give your boy a chance to figure out what really works for him.

Ted K.

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The toe is the bottom part of the butt pad. So, "toe out" for a right hand shooter is a pad that is canted or twisted with the toe further to the right than the heel. Opposite for a lefty.

If a lefty shooter were to use a gun that has toe out for a righty shooter, this would put the toe of the pad right in the middle of his pectoral muscle. That would be very uncomfortable to shoot.

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Imma southpaw. Cast is just a plain dumb Euro idea that should have stayed there. Guns should come from the factory with neutral cast. Chubby cheeks can buy a file.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a big deal as others have mentioned. A couple hundred bucks spent on a 4-way adjustable comb will turn a neutral cast stock into something he can work with. Avoid buying a gun that is heavily cast off. (right hander model).

Think of the cast the same way you would the rear sight of a rifle.

I'm a lefty as well and trap guns are the exception to the general industry trend of 'not much out there for lefty's'. Usually the left hand stocked used guns sell for a bit less than similar right hand stocked guns.

Good luck in your search.

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am left handed and if you want your son to shoot well, get him a left hand cast stock. These guys who shoot right hand stocks and are left handed are either a glutton for punishment or fall on their head going to shoots.

You want the recoil of the stock going away from your face, not recoiling into your face. It won't take long to start lifting your head if your stock is cast wrong. Also you do not want him to shoot behind some of his targets.

If you have the cash, do it right, why punish the kid?
    Steve Balistreri

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are a lot of used trap guns for sale. Have your son shoot some of them until he finds one that is user friendly. Shoot it before you buy it is the best way to find the right gun. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can lefthandeders shoot a righthand cast off gun