1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Left Hand Trap Gun - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Indydrew1, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indydrew1

Indydrew1 Member

I will be in the market for a new southpaw trap gun in the coming months and I wanted to enhance my research by soliciting some opinions / information from those more experienced than I (which is basically everyone else on this board :)). I just started shooting in late summer 2012 so I am still a beginner.

So here are the issues;
    - I am 6'6" 285
    - Have a 15 1/2" LOP (a knuckle dragger if you will)
    - I shoot a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic left handed due to "jacked up vision" in my right eye - (yes that's the official term from my ophthalmologist)
    - I would like to move to a combo set with an unsingle or O/U to simplify things a bit.

A bit more information about me, I shoot trap only (no skeet or sporting), so far singles and handicap with wobble and doubles in the future perhaps - hence the O/U.

Browning, Beretta and Guerini are the ones that I seem to have it narrowed down to.

I live in Indiana and am targeting the Indiana State Shoot this summer as the time to buy a new gun; that gives me time to save a bit, perhaps shoot before I buy and take advantage of any discounts that may be offered there...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated from my fellow lefty's.

Thanks for you time.

-Drew

2. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Contact Dennis DeVault in Canton OH and get properly fit. DeVault Industries, 330-456-6070. No matter what kind of gun you can afford, the best money you can spend is for proper fit. Below is a picture of my Infinity shotgun with a custom Devault stock for left handed shooter. Dennis DeVault made the gun and the stock custom for me and I went to Canton OH for a personal fitting and a very enjoyable experience. Dennis can do this kind of work on any gun you choose, or if a custom stock is too expensive for you, he can do wonders modifying the stock that comes with the gun you buy. Call him to discuss, but be prepared to learn someting about stock fitting and your own shooting.
    I can't recommend him enough.

Tom Lieb

tomlieb_2008_030332.jpg

3. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

As a lefty myself and a Blaser rep id go for the F3 trap. Lh stock and lh top lever. $6200 delivered and you wont have to buy another gun later. 509-205-0357

4. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Hi Drew. A lot depends on your budget. From your dimensions, you are likely to need an adjustable butt plate and an adjustable comb to get a proper fit for comb height, cast/toe angle, along with LPO/pitch issues. Get a recoil pad that fits your LOP AS WELL AS PITCH. Proper fit is critical with us full-figured guys. LOL. You will shoot much better with good gun fit. One moderately- priced starting point might be a left-handed 32" Browning XT Trap. It has a left-handed palm swell, but not a lot of cast. It is easily modified with butt-plates and pads. I would not get one with a factory adjustable comb, which tends to go out of adjustment. Instead I would have an adjustable comb installed by Graco Corp or other good after-market source. Shoot well and good luck in your search. Bob

5. Bill61

Bill61 Member

My thoughts are this, get the gun that you like as long as it comes with a left handed cast stock, unless you are willing to have a stock made for you. I am left handed and make my own stocks. I believe that the stock fit is more important than the gun itself. I currently have a Browning that I use for sporting clays and field shooting. A Beretta that I shoot trap with and a Kreighoff that I shoot skeet with. All of my guns and stocks are different, but they are all the same, they fit me. Good luck and invest in the stock fit if you want to shoot as well as you can.

Bill

6. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

If you can afford it I would suggest the Blaser only because the O/U has adjustable POI. I have a left handed Beretta 682 Gold E unsingle combo and I love it. But i have heard that the 682 is going to be discontinued. Cannot confirm that and not sure that it makes a difference.

7. clutey

clutey TS Member

Indydrew1, A question, Do you shoot a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic left handed, or is it a left handed Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic?
    Why I ask,
    is that I was led to believe that Remington do not make this model in a l/handed version.
    Regards Clutey.

8. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

The CG's have an adjustible POI as well and you can get LH models as well. I have seen a few for sale on this site. I shoot a CG and love it to death...

9. Indydrew1

Indydrew1 Member

"Proper fit is critical with us full-figured guys" ljuticsscentennialpro wins the funniest thing I have read so far today award - bravo.

I was not familiar with Dennis DeVault, I am sure I would be a "challenge" for a stock fitter I will keep his name handy.

clutey - 1100 Comps were only made right handed as far as I know. I added a shell catcher and shoot it left handed - works ok. Occasionally I do get a snout full of powder smoke as a lefty but I guess that happens with righty's too if the wind is right...

Thanks, keep the info coming guys I really do appreciate any input...

Drew

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The guns you mentioned are very good and you can find all of them in left handed cast on configurations. Short of getting a custom stock built (which would elimiated the need to buy a 'left handed' combo) you can get a high quality 4 way adjustable comb installed for around $200. That should get you a proper fit.

My personal collection of left handed trap guns included two 682x trap combos and the most recent addition af a Kolar TC. The Berettas may not be in the Kolar's league but they served me well and still have plenty of life in them. Your probably swamped with guys trying to sell you a shotgun right now but if you do decide a Beretta 682 is what you want, I would be happy to talk to you about the ones I have.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd get a beretta without the wood and have a stock made. DeVault or Wenig would be some choices.

bigmperazzi_2008_03039.jpg

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty and at 6'-5 and 270lbs I know what you mean.
    I shoot a Kolar with a LH stock, but I have for sale a LH Ljutic Mono made for a person of your and my stature if you're interest, and close by in MI too.

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Drew, I'll offer two suggestions/options. Kolar has an excellent choice in competition guns and their service and fitting are second to none. Next choice, and this may surprise some, is Caeser Guerini, with the proviso that you visit Dennis DeVault and get it stocked. In the long run you'll have less up front with the CG, and their service is excellent, but I consider the Kolar to be a much more solid gun, especially for a guy your size. In any case, I believe, you would benefit from a custom fitted stock, and if it were me, I'd visit the Kolar booth at the Indiana shoot, letting them know you will be be there, along with your measurements, and Jeff Mainland will have a gun there that fits, and for you to shoot.

best....mike

14. Indydrew1

Indydrew1 Member

I checked out Dennis DeVault's website and that is amazingly impressive work, he is a craftsman for sure...beautiful work.

That opens up a world of possibilities, find a gently used high end gun I like without really caring what stocks are on it and go see Dennis.

Because the more research I do, the more comfortably I can state that no gun manufacturer "representative sample percentage chart" had someone like me on it. Guns just don't come in "XXL Tall" it appears.

Keep the opinions coming the more the merrier...

-Drew

15. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Drew
    350k registered as a lefty. I have had every adjustable widget to make my factory stock fit, all are a waste of money. I have tried factory Lefts and none really fit. Have a stock made to fit YOU, Dennis Devault, Wenig, several others, it is going to lessen recoil and improve shooting. A late model used gun K gun, Perazzi, Blazer while expensive, will not loose value. The custom stock will not add value but will be worth it. Indiana Gun Club has a lot of trap guns you can shoot. Another option would be to take a trip to Findlay, Ohio on a weekend, go to Jaqua's you can shoot most any of their guns and they have been in business for over 50 years.

16. Indydrew1

Indydrew1 Member

A Jaqua's trip is in the works sometime soon if for no other reason than just to look around a bit.

I do make a trip to see Phil and IGC about every couple of weeks, I buy shells there just so I don't feel so bad about loitering :). He always has nice stuff and was really good to my wife when she picked up a "present" for me from there and for that he earned my business for a long time...

-Drew

17. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I highly recommend a left handed stock, really left hand.
    I have Wenig Stocks on guns & Kolar T/S Left Handed .

Joe Woods/Ontario

18. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Drew,

The recommendation to visit Dennis DeVault is excellent. You will not do better than Dennis as a stock fitter or stock maker.

With your imensions, you will probably be better off having a stock made rather than having one fitted.

As to a gun recommendation, others are in a better positin to suggest a gun than I am. Dennis might also have something. http://www.devaultind.com

Rollin

19. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Here's another option....

I'm left-handed, 6'2" with very long arms, a long neck and a hard to fit face. LOL! The long distance between my eye and where my face hits the stock means I require a lot of 'drop'.... so much so that every top-end gun with a factory stock I've tried is too high for me even when the adjustable comb is down at its lowest setting.

So.. I went with a Guerini and added a left-handed Precision Fit Stock (PFS) with an 'ultimate comb.' While it ain't all that pretty, my gun is 100% adjustable and I have a nice, recoil reduction system to boot.

You may well be able to pick up a used high-end gun at a great price (even a right-handed one--which means easier to sell later), add a PFS setup and save a lot of money compared to having a custom stock made.

Mark T.

20. gaboy77

gaboy77 Member

I switched shoulders to left handed last year. I know nothing about the new Zoli trap guns as I shoot mostly sporting but I ended up with a Zoli Z Sport with a factory left hand adjustable comb Monte Carlo stock. I am 6'4' 260 and have a long neck (which is why I went for the Monte Carlo). The only changes I have made are to properly adjust the comb and add a 1/2 inch longer pad than the stock one. I could not be more pleased. I looked at the CG's but the Zoli seemed to fit me better. Resale value does suck on the Zoli so be warned but if you plan on keeping it, I think they are solid guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best left handed trap gun
left hand trap gun
left hand trap guns for sale
left hand trap shotgun

left handed trap gun

left handed trap guns

left handed trap guns for sale

lefthanded beretta trap combo shotguns for sale