1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Left Hand Stock, How can you tell?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winchesterAA, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Hi,
    How can you tell if a gun has a left handed stock? I dont mean to sound stupid, im a right handed shooter, I seen a MX2000 for sale, factory stock adjustable comb, There was no palm swell on either side. The way the comb was set on the gun was pretty much centered with the front slighty cocked too the right, with that when i shouldered the gun the beads were not lined up, i would have to move the comb over to the left a bit for it too line up, So how do you tell if its a right hand stock or a lefty? Thank You Richie

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Put a staight edge running from tip of barrel to butt.If everything is in line " straight".....it's neutral. If there is any "crook" in the stock, left or right, it's customized....i.e. if it is lefthanded it bends to the left of a straight line (viewed from the rear). The adjustable comb doesn't come in to play with this "straight" line ....as it can be moved.I'm a lefty and move my comb to the left a bit...people's facial features will determine where the comb is set. Forget about the comb and "sight" down the length of the stock/barrel to see if the stock is left/right/or neutral (I suspect it is neutral)

3. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Could a right handed shooter, Shoot a left hand stocked gun, By adjusting the comb? If the toe is kicked out for a lefty would that matter much to a righty?

Richie

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

try this, I found it using the SEARCH FUNCTION....

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

First thing to do is to adjust the comb so thst it is neutral with the main part of the butt stock. By that I mean, the bottom of the adjustable comb has no over lap where it meets the butt stock.

Now look at the relationship between the top of the comb and barrel and rib of the gun. Do this by viewing from the rear of the gun. If the comb is off center to the left it is a left handed stock. HMB

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Most modern tournament gun stocks have a cast,cast on or cast off. Normally a cast at heel and toe.
    Cast On for a left hander. Kolar shotguns have a very noticeable cast. On most Kolar shotguns a left hand person will definately not be shooting a right handed gun.

In the 70's tournament guns were common with a neutral stock.

Caesar Guerini has a noticeable cast,Beretta,I am not sure of all.

I am left handed and very quickly notice the cast.Most are right handed.

Good Luck

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

HMB,

I find ity easier to put the toe of the stock on the ground and sight down the barrels to the top of the comb. Cast is immediately evident.

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Do not buy a cast left if you are right handed or visa versa. Asking for problems. Sure you can shoot them , but HOW Well ? I'm left handed and the first time I picked up a Winchester Select Energy....I broke 24/25 from the 16 yd line. Then, I discovered it had a Right hand Palm Swell (only way to get it).I guess I could live with the palm swell...but not a cast stock.

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

easiest way is to take off the recoil pad & see if the bolt hole is in the middle, or off to one side or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.