1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEFT HAND SHOOTER VS. RIGHT HAND SHOOTER?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have been an ATA trapshooter for a fairly long time. have never been anygood, but love to shoot, and talk about shooting . a long time friend who recently passed away, once told me that he felt left hand shooters may have an advantage in trapshooting over right hand shooters. now this man shot for the us army international team, and at one time he was a very good shooter. he felt most trap machines are set to the right of center in a trap house. as a result of this placement, he felt the hard right from station 5 would favor the left hand shooter. i am left handed, he said station 1 should be more difficult for a lefty and #5 more difficult for a righty. does anyone out there, agree with his theory? in bowling i've heard, a left hander has an advantage, in golf i have heard a left hander has an advantage because the hazards are set for the right handed golfer. what do you think? i am left handed and regardless where the trap is set in the trap house, i still shoot poorly!
    steve balistreri

2. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I am respectable, not great and left handed. I have much more trouble with targets on station 5 than on station 1. It seems to take much more effort to get the gun in front of a station 5 right than on the lefts off of one. Don't know why, just is. Nubs Wagner.

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Senior smoke......your friend was right!

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have shot both sides but eye dom is left. So I shoot left. For the most part I do not see an avantage for left handed shooters at trap. Golf maybe a bit of advantage, unless you have a left to right ball flight. You will have to flert with more trees OB and t box problems. Thats golf though. Left hand trap shooting should only be done by left eye dominate two eyes open lefthanded shooter, this will keep you in your right mind.

5. lefty shooter

lefty shooter TS Member

Steve,
    I'm also left handed and it is true station #1 is is easier for left handed people because your your cheek pushes the gun towards the target, results in staying in the gun a lot better. Station #5 would be harder on the angles becasue your face is going away from the gun stock. As far as the golf and bowling advantage not true, reason being most golf courses are designed by right handed people. Bowling, I have bolwed my whole life and we (Left handed bowlers) are just an excuse for right handed people. On a serious note I just bought a Cesear Guerini trap gun because they make left handed wood, has made a huge difference in may shooting. If you would like to talk more please let me know.

Robbie

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is amazing how many right hand shooters are shooting with a left handed gun and how many left handed shooters are using a right handed gun. Just because someone tells you that a gun is set for a lefty or righty, don't believe them, have someone look at the stock, someone who knows how to tell cast on from cast off. HMB

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

We lefties are in the minority. It costs us more to shoot because most guns need to be customized for us. I see no advantage over the righties regarding Trap. I find station #2, shalow left bird to be a pain, but thats me. I've shot for 10 years with a right-handed gun. The adjustable combs helped slightly. Finally gun makers are starting to make true Left-handed guns. There are a lot of Lefties that could benefit from a well fitted left-handed gun.
    Shoot well. Shoot many. Dave T.

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

The only advantage a left hand shooter has is if the guy following you is moving or mounting the gun while you are shooting you won't see it. Also if the guy in front of you is shooting an auto you can see the cases coming and dodge them.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are there a lot of lefty trap shooters

left hand trap shooting

left hand trap shooting guns

left handed shooters vs right handed shooter

left vs right hand shooter

right handed shooters

right vs left hand shooting

whichboa better left hand or right hand shooters