1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Left Hand Cast for Right Hand Shooter???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bryce720, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

The title pretty much sums it up. I am a right hand shooter and have been shooting a gun that is cast for a lefty. I'm shooting a Super X1 and had no idea until recently that it was cast for a lefty. I have been shooting lights out with the gun, but do notice a tad more recoil then normal. I do creep way up on the gun (nose is less then a 1" from my thumb). So maybe I'm to "into the gun" to notice?? Could the left hand cast on a right hand shooter cause more recoil???

I am trying to decide whether or not to keep shooting it as is or get a straight stock on there?? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Try to find a rt cast stock if you cn. The lefty stck will cause you to bend your head over the stock more than with a neutral or rt cast stock. This could cause some cheek discomfort, A half inch in the oposite direction could make a world of difference.

3. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Thats the odd thing it's doesn't feel like I'm having bend my head over more?? Maybe I am and just don't notice it??

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

An old shoulder or back injury, and I'm being serious, may cause weird gunfit problems. Happened to me. Assuming an injury wracked you around a bit or if you have a crooked back; I do, but the back deal is subtle.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most SX-1's are cast for a lefty. Their saving grace is a rather thin comb that still allows shooters to align the beads. They're a prime candidate for some custom stock work!!

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Have an adjustable comb installed.

7. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Thanks guys for all the comments. I was out shooting some trap yesterday, I actually shoot sporting clays and a friend noticed the cast. The gentle man mounted the gun and asked how I shot it as he had to bend his head over the stock. I then mounted the gun and he said, "i see you get into the gun about as much as you can" similar to Anthony Matarese Jr. in sporting clays. He thought since I get into the gun so much that the cast was not bothering me. But could the cast for a lefty cause more or would it cause less recoil?? Please see link below to a shoot off between Anthony & Greg. I have a very similar style to Anthony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2oa-olDKA

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Using a left handed cast stock for a right handed shooting person is insane. You always want the stock to recoil back away from your face instead of recoiling back into your face.

With that being said, I suggest hold the gun by the barrel and look back towards the stock. What side is most of the wood on the stock. I bet it is side where a lefty would place his cheak, resulting in you to be able to creep over to shoot the gun half way decent.

I suggest save your money before you do anything. Take the stock off the gun and cut off a small piece of cardboard from a shell box and place that piece below the metal plate on the left side of the gun. When you remount the stock tighten it down good and the stock should have zero cast or slightly right hand cast now.

Then shoot the gun and see if it feels more comfortable recoil wise, plus see if you are breaking targets as good as you were before the adjustment. If not, take the cardboard shim out. With a piece of cardboard you can fix the cast from left to right.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Send it to the Gun Dr/ Doug Braker and have him adjust the cast to what you want.

BR1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cast for left hand shooters

right hand shooter with cast on

shotgun cast for left handed shooters