1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Left eye dominent Right handed shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pull Bang Damn, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull Bang Damn

Pull Bang Damn TS Member

I have a friend who is right handed and lost his right eye. Shooting left handed is not an option. He is looking for an offset rig which will attach to his Beretta 682 and align with his left eye while mounting the gun on his right shoulder. He has heard of such a system but doesn't know where to go to buy one. Any help?

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I have heard about the gadget of which you speak (someone else will know more about it) but why doesn't your friend just close his left eye? He would need to hold lower on the trap house shooting one-eyed but depth perception and peripheral vision are of no great value when shooting trap, anyway, in my opinion.

This, of course, assumes that your friend can closse his dominant, left, eye without distorting the vision in his right eye.

Rollin

3. Pull Bang Damn

Pull Bang Damn TS Member

Thanks Jimmy, you are correct, if he closed his left eye he would never see the target. I tried to tell him he didn't need to see, just shoot where the target is but he didn't go for that answer.

4. Pull Bang Damn

Pull Bang Damn TS Member

Sorry my mistake, I just re read my original post and apearantly had a case of "stupid fingers" what I meant was off set RIB.
    I have a friend who is right handed and lost his right eye. Shooting left handed is not an option. He is looking for an offset RIB which will attach to his Beretta 682 and align with his left eye while mounting the gun on his right shoulder. He has heard of such a system but doesn't know where to go to buy one. Any help?

5. tomward

tomward TS Member

Jimmy, You are right. Our friend, Melvin Wiley shoots a crossover stock. Melvin lost all usefull vision in his right eye and had Wenig make the crossover stock for him. He shoots it well. Melvin's office number is 817-284-4000. He is a really nice guy and would welcome the opportunity to help someone with the same situation. Tom Ward

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen two different designs. The first one I saw was an off-set rib used by a fine lady in Maryland. I shot many targets with her and her family. The rib was custom made. It attached to her original rib and was directly off set to the left. The off set distance was equal to the distance between her eyes.

The second set up, and this one seems to be more popular, utilized an off set optical red dot scope (no magnification). It only required a single piece of material attached near the breech end of the rib with two small screws. The advantage of the red dot sight was it could be adjusted. The disadvantage is that the batteries seem to quit without warning.

The red dot sight overall is probably less expensive and more versatile. Making such a change is very much like starting trap shooting over again. That could have some advantages for all of us. Perhaps we would not learn our bad habits if we could start over from the beginning.

Pat Ireland

7. Rollin Oswald

JimmyP;

I will investigate available reading-comprehension courses.

Rollin

8. Pull Bang Damn

Pull Bang Damn TS Member

9. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I believe you want a Side Sighter. They can be seen at the following URL: http://www.fieldandclays.com/carey.htm , Hope this helps...Bill

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you get one please post the results of use.

11. Rollin Oswald

JimmyP;

I have seen the Wenig stocks. They would seem to require a lengthy learning curve because of the unnatural head position required.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.