1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LeFever single trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Holeinmypattern, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I have an opportunity to buy a single barrel LaFever trap gun for $275. It is in pretty good shape considering its age, the lever is pretty loose. Are these guns worth buying just to stick in the safe??
    -John

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This gun, I would guess is similar to the Nitro double gun. These were not expensive guns, (I have one) and your price is in the range.

If it was made earlier in the century it could be worth a lot more.

The first LeFevers were of higher grade and more expensive before Ithaca revived the name.

There's more to the story, I'm sure Google will help you.

HM

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I once owned a 20ga LeFever single barrel marked "Long Range Field and Trap". It was not an expensive gun in it's time but was solid and well made. It was hammerless with a top tang safety and was made by Ithaca. (Should have kept that one). It was the same action as the LeFever trap gun made in the same time period. The blue book I have is a couple of years old and lists $275 as the price for trap version in 40% condition. I would think that if you want to put one away as an investment the it would be best to get one in as near original condition as possible.

4. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I did a little more research on it and it turns out the gun was made in 1929. The blueing on the barrel is perfect and the reciever looks like a nickle finish. The wood is original and in good shape other than a hairline crack in the forearm. I dont need it at all but I kinda like older guns just for the history of it all.
    -john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.