1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lefever shotguns #16773

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PAK, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAK

PAK Member

What can anyone tell me about this Lefever single barrow break open 12 ga.shotgun.
    #16773. Has a rib on the barrow.

Thank you

paul

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some of the early Lefever guns are top quality but later they were made by Stevens (I think) and the quality was not exceptionally good. Just from the number I would not know what you have. There should be some more identification on the gun.

Pat Ireland

3. KK

KK TS Member

ITHACA PURCHASED LEFEVER, I BELIEVE IN 1921, AND FROM ABOUT 1929 ON IT BECAME THE LEFEVER NITRO AND ALSO BECAME A BOX LOCK DOUBLE. IT WAS OF COMPARABLE QUALITY TO THE NEW ITHACA DOUBLE BEING MANUFACTURED AT THAT TIME TOO. THE GUNS MANUFACTURED BY LEFEVER WERE ALL SIDE LOCK ACTIONS AND ALL OF THOSE WERE OF EXCELLENT QUALITY. THE ITHACA MADE GUNS WERE OF GOOD QUALITY BUT NOT TOP OF THE LINE NOR IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE OLD LEFEVERS. KIRBY

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Kirby is almost spot on. However, the early Lefevers were not true sidelocks. They were actually boxlocks with side panels. Those old Lefever doubles were about as good as they got at the time. They still are a dream to hold and shoot. Jake

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dad had a Nitro all his life. Paid 28 dollars in 1928. Still in my cabinet.

HM

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Any information specifically about the Lefever single barrel trap ? I had one once and can't remember much about it except that I was not very favorably impressed wit the gun. I did not remember the gun being made by Ithica but my memory is far from complete.

Pat Ireland

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Made in 1929.

8. Larry Long

Larry Long TS Member

I have a 20 ga Side by side Lefever Nitro special. Here is just a small portion of the information in Wikipedia....that I didn't know.

"The LeFever Arms Company continued to make fine LeFever designed shotguns in Syracuse until 1916 when they were purchased by the Ithaca Gun Company. The Ithaca Gun Company continued to produce LeFever-designed guns under the LeFever Arms Company name in Ithaca, New York until 1921. These were made using primarily left over parts from the Syracuse operation. Shortly after that the Ithaca Gun Company used the LeFever name to market an inexpensive gun, the "LeFever Nitro Special" that was of their own design, having nothing to do with D. M. LeFever except to exploit his name. These were manufactured until the early 1940s."

"Many collectors consider original "D.M. LeFever" guns to be the finest ever produced in America."

9. Larry Long

Larry Long TS Member

This site talks about the first single bbl trapgun and apparently it was made by Uncle Dan in 1905.

10. incognito

incognito TS Member

I might be able to help, but first I need to know if there is a wheel on the barrow?

11. KK

KK TS Member

For Pat Ireland, I don't know for sure if the Lefever Gun Co. ever made a single barreled trap gun but Ithaca did beginning in 1929 that they marketed as a trap and long range waterfowl gun, and they did sell it under the Lefever name. It is a lower budget gun compared to the Ithaca 4E trap or even the Ithaca Victory grade trap gun, but there are still quite a few around which shows that they were a popular and sturdy gun. Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1929 lefever ithika trap gun
ithaca lefever trap shotguns
lefever gun 20 ga side by side
lefever long range 12 ga trap gun
lefever nitro special 20 ga
lefever shotgun forum
lefever shotguns

lefever trap gun