1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lefever double

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Notabagger, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notabagger

Notabagger TS Member

A freind has a Lefever Nitro Special 20 ga. s x s he is trying to sell me.
    Neither of us have any idea of value. Could someone here please give some
    advice to its value? I know it is hard to do without seeing the gun but i have no way to take pics. I would rate the gun as 85%, nothing spectacular but a nice old gun. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I've seen them priced at $750-1350. Don't know what they are actually getting out of them. Factory single trigger is rare and gets a few extra bucks.

3. Notabagger

Notabagger TS Member

Thanks Hitapair it is about what I thought

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It would be more in the range of $250 to $300 for that condition. I bought a 20 and a 12 guage two years ago for $375 in that condition.

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

20 ga. Nitro in 85%--$5-600. MINT--$750-800.

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Pheasantmaster, I would imagine you think you can still buy a sterlingworth for what you could buy it for 2-3 yrs ago too? The old doubles have increased considerably in the last 2-3 yrs, particularly 16 and 20 ga.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

That maybe true hitapair but they aren't gold in my area. The uninformed double owners will buy by name and price. As such a double with Fox attached to it will appreciate in value quicker that a lesser renowned name. A Lefever is every bit the quality of a Fox but the Name alone, Fox will command higher prices for an equivelant model. Lefever's can still be sleepers. Along with the aforementioned, area of location plays a role. Last I knew a local gentleman pawnshop owner has sat on tow 12's for over 5 years with an asking price of $200 and $250 last time I was there. Approximate condition is the same, 85%. These are my opinions which the creator of this thread asked for. You may very well be heading him closer to what he should pay than Iam.

8. gold40

gold40 Member

There is often confusion on these guns.

"REAL LEFEVERS" are high quality sidelock guns made in the 1900 to 1920 (aaprox.) time frame. Later, Ithaca bought the remanents of that company and used the name "LEFEVER NITRO SPECIAL" on their cheap lower-quality box;ock SxS. Big difference in the quality and value between the two.

Probably $400 to $600 is the price range for a Nitro Special in 20 gauge, depending upon condition.

JERRY

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Dad paid $28 for his in 1928. They are pretty much knockabout guns, and nice but not noteworthy. There are a couple single barrel trap models around this area.

Now an Uncle Dan (pre-Ithaca)Lefever is another matter. They bring a lot more.

The name has an interesting history, I read a good article in Shotgun Sports on the subject some years back.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.