1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Single Stage Reloading Press

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Lee Single Stage Reloading press. The price is definately right and I have read good reviews on it. I wont be doing a whole lot of reloading but looking for an economical way to get started. Any advice would be appreciated. JB

2. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

John, I have no experience with a LEE loader. But for the money you can't go wrong with a MEC 600 JR. They make a really nice shell and are easy to setup.
    I have seen used ones on here for $50 and if you want to upgrade your loader you will get your $50 back. Darren

3. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I will second that opinion find a used name brand reloader. I bought a pacific 150 for 50 bucks and it is still loading today. The lee's are not built as sturdy as my old pacific that's for sure. I have no expieriance to know how durable the load-all really is though.

Nick

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Get a Mec 600 Jr. Don't waste your time or money on the Lee. You can always sell the Mec for $50.00.

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Mec 600 Jr.'s are all over on the used market and ebay. I've never been in a gun shop that didn't have one or two used for sale. And, like others have said, you'll get your money back when you upgrade to a progressive.

Bruce

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

To answer the question you ASKED (vs. several you didn't ask that will probably be answered here, anyhow), yes, the Lee LoadAll will meet your needs just fine and you'll learn a lot about reloading.

The only *legit* reason NOT to choose Lee for a beginner setup is that it does not do taper crimps, so if you shoot a pump or semi-auto, you may have an occasional feeding problem.

The Lee makes perfect shells, easily and as fast as any other single stage reloader.

GS

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bought a Lee single stage for 5 bucks at a yard sale. Actually made money on the thing. Sold it for $7 at my wifes yard sale.

8. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

Goatskin, I am just looking to use the Lee for rifle and piston cartriges. I use winchester 7 1/2 shot target loads for the shotgun. I dont really shoot enough shotgun to justify reloading the shotgun shells right now. I think reloading would be a fun hobby. Thanks for the advice.

9. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

The press I am looking at is actually the Lee Challenger Single Stage Breach Lock Press. The are offering it in a kit with almost everything you need for 89 bucks on midway.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"The press I am looking at is actually the Lee Challenger Single Stage Breach Lock Press. The are offering it in a kit with almost everything you need for 89 bucks on midway."

I know more about Musk Ox mating rituals than I do about metallic reloading, but I trust Midway's user feedback.

Do it.

GS

11. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

John, in the above post everyone was inder the impression that you were going to Load shot shells, which would require the Lee Load All which is a pretty good choice for the beginner because it comes with all of the necessary bushings for shot and powder, and like goatskin mentioned that it does not give the final rolled crinp like the Mec or Hornady, Now about the Challanger it cant be beat for the money !!!! that is for a starter, there are thing that you will have to add to it later, If you are going to just load a few hundered rounds a year go for it. I have one for years and still use it, just one tip ""' if you can afford it buy carbide dies, they save you a WHOLE LOT OF WORK Prepping the shells....

12. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

Flincher, I seem to recall seeing quite a few posts on this forum regarding many other things than shotgun shooting. Sorry for the confustion.

13. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have had a lee load all for near two years and have loaded several hundred rounds on it. I was than given a Mwc 600 Jr. brand new and am usin this one now. My Graand Daughter is using the Lee because shre does nor shoot as much sz I do and she says she loves it. She was at our home whgen my friend brought the Mec over and when it came out of the box my grand daughter exclasimed that it was ot big for her and the Lee was perfect for her. It dosedn't look so complicated to She jus hustles along and loads just as noice of a shell as I do on the Mec. I like it because if you want to take it down off the bench makes for an easy movement. And as I said it just chuggs right along. Don't let the light weight of it fool ya. It's strong rnough to do the job on all sizes of shells. And I might add it has on of the best warranties goinbg. If it breaks or such and it is with in the warrantie period ya jus have to send it in to them an they will either replace it or repair it. If it is out of warranty they will repair it at half the cost as to a new one. (Rich in Phoenix)

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use alot of Lee products.. but if I were looking for a single stage press.. I'd look for an older RCBS/Pacific/Hornady/Lyman/C-H Cast iron press that uses modern shell holders.. They will last forever.. I still load on an old A-2 I bought when I was 14 years old..

15. williray

williray TS Member

Joon: I bought that exact kit about 7 years ago!! I still have and it still works with no problems. That Press is almost bullet proof. Indeed the kit has every thying you will need to load metalic shells.

I probably have one of everything Lee makes and I dont regret using Lee products, the dies are less expensive and they (Lee) gives a little extra, for example they incluse the shell holder, the other manf"s you gotta buy one! I made 3 40 mi round trips when I purchased a RCB die set cause it wasn't complete. On my third trip, the Lee's came in I returned the RCB grabbed a Lee in the cal. I wanted drove home and loaded shells I needed nothing more.

Pick up Richard Lee's reloading book while your at it, good read with good recipies.

I ultimatly bought Lee's 1000 progressive loader, took me about a week to get the hang of it, when I did I can knock out 100 shells in about 20 mins.

Lee products work, they stand behind them. Quite frankly there's not much to break on em either, I broke a component on 1 die cause I was messing with it.

Ya just cant go wrong with Lee.

Regards

Ray Williams

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

John, the Lee Challenger Kit you're asking about got me started metallic cartridge reloading. That kit will pretty much get you started reloading, there isn't much to add. I also bought Lee dies and have had good luck with them. Follow the previous advice and spring for the carbide dies, I'm glad that I did. You will also learn from and enjoy Dick Lee's reloading book. Before you know it, you'll be reloading those tack-driving performers like the 25/20 Win, .43 Spanish or .32 S&W. Have fun and enjoy.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Lee products work absolutely fine and put together very accurate ammo...I use a Terret Press and have my favorite calibers dies permanantly setup in their own turret ..to change calibers in 2 seconds

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

John,

If you are looking for something to do a little metallic reloading with, on an occasional basis, there is nothing wrong with the Lee press kits. Make sure you have a scale to weight the charges. Their kits usually come with one. They even supply the basics for case trimming, all you need is the caliber specific trimmer stud. I would suggest a heavier press if you are looking to do any case forming or other heavy duty operations. RCBS has a couple of kits and they are more expensive and something you'd want to consider if you were to more than a small amount of loading.

Carbide dies are usually only available for straight pistols calibers and rifle or bottleneck cases are not usually available in carbide. When available, carbide are usually well worth the money.

Just be sure to read the instructions and double check your load data. Lee usually supplies some pretty good illustrated booklets, but having an experienced reloader look over your shoulder the first couple of loading sessions would be a good idea. That is, if you are a rank beginner.

19. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I would take a look at the Lee Classic Turret.

Cabelas has it in a kit form http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0044122216337a.shtml
    for about $100.00 more than the kit you were looking at.

The classic turret is a very nice press and you can convert it to a single stage (or back)in 10 seconds. It is possible to load 200 rounds per hour when you get used to it. You would do good to get half that on a single stage.

There are lots of videos on youtube just do a search for Lee classic turret.

Here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SufHZhIs-mc

tom

20. sharf

sharf Member

I just picked up a Lee Challenger press in purchasing a lot of reloading equiptment. If anyone is inteested in the press alone, I'll sell it $25 delivered-that is 50% new and shipping included.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does lee challenger reloading press do shotgun shells too

lee single stage reloading press