1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Pro 1000

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Anyone have any experience with the Lee Pro 1000 metallic reloading press? I have a friend who is convinced that it's as good as the Dillon machines and a lot cheaper. I love Dillon and wouldn't own anything else.

He is primarily interested in speed...

What do you think?

capvan

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Your friend either has very low intellect or hasn't loaded very much. Lee's are hair pulling junk, Dillon is pretty much the standard for high production reloading.

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

They are better than junk! But i agree with the hair pulling part. I own several-but you get what you pay for. They work ok if you pay attention. The bad part is you cant tell if a primer got seated until the powder is spilling out(too late)!! I dont know what a dillon cost,but the lee are inexpensive. Perry

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I own 6 progressive metallic reloaders and have owned 9. I know a couple of commercial reloaders.

The Lee progressives are junk.

If you have never owned anything better. they may be barely passable pieces of junk - but better than nothing - if that is the only option.

Tell him to save a bit more money and get a Dillon or Hornady LNL.

Don Verna

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Your friend is not serious, right?? Wayne

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ever hear of a Lee Loadmaster . You have no idea what junk is untill to TRY useing one . The Best thing about Lee it,s cheap That is it .

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have loaded a few hundred 44 mags and about 1500 223's on mine and have never had a glitch.. on the other hand after 7k rounds on my 366 I finally junked it and bought 2 mec9000's

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

You have to love the DAs that are out there . I have a dillon 650 and a lee pro. both have problems the Dillon is a nice press at $600 it should be. $70 to convert to a different cal and about an hour to get it set. Lee about $25 and 10 min. If you are a DA dont buy a lee and send it to me. Lee is a good press IF you know how to work on a anvil without ruining it

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The Pro 1000 is just a handful of grief. it's cheap but it also screws up a lot and that brother will piss you off faster than finding your best friend messing with your sister. Hornady or Dillon is the way to go and of rmost guys, the Dillon 550 is more than they will ever need. I've had all three and speak from experience. i even had an RCBS Green Machine.....a loader so bad RCBS discontinued it and has more than once publically said it's a mess.

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The worst part of the LEE is the primer feed, even if you only use Win or CCI primers as they "recommend". I have found that if you keep the primer feed at least half full (the tray) and don't get in any kind of hurry, ease the handle up to full stop to seat the primer and, with both of mine, don't use the case feeder, you can get about 98% good results (that is, no upside down or tipped primers). The powder measure works pretty well--that is throws accurate charges and the sizer is fine. I don't believe Dick Lee when he says his crimper will either roll or taper so with autoloading ammo I have to set up another press to taper crimp after finishing cartridges on the Lee.

I only have them because in a weak moment I bought them from someone who offered them up for fifty bucks each, with dies. My first attempts were disasters...

When we reloaded commercial, we used Star progressives...none better. Next press, Dillon.

I mainly use a Rock Chucker or one of three Lyman turrets for my "precision" metallic ammo.

If you are new to reloading, start with a single stage press.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lee pro 1000 rusted posts