1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Loadmaster press

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapperwads, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Does anybody on here have any experiece with the Lee LoadMaster press? It has so many features and is so inexpensive...I'd like some user opinions. Or how about the Dillon 550b. I'm leaning toward the more expensive Dillon because of reputation and that its made in Arizona...which I want to support. thanks ed nichols

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Dillon is the way to go.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

The Lee is a wonderful machine for some. If tweaking and fiddling and replacing parts is part of your enjoyment - go for it! There should be many available used on Ebay.

I have a number of progressive presses so lets start. What caliber(s) will you load for and how many rounds per week for each? Do you have any metallic reloaders now and if so what type? Is a case feeder important or just nice to have. Do you enjoy reloading or just want to get it done ASAP?

Don Verna

PS There no answers to the above questions that would lead me to recommend a Lee.

4. trapperwads

>40,>357/38,.223,.243,30:06. Don't load many..do enjoy reloading to a point. ed

5. trapperwads

How about the Hornady Lok mn Load? ed

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I know of 2 guys who bought one ... and consider them junk!

Spend the extra money and buy the Dillon 550B ... it will load anything up to a .50BMG.

Changing calibers is a breeze because you simply pull out 2 pins and slide in another toolhead with the dies already set up!

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Lee does a pretty good job with a lot of things, but that press is not one of them. I am pretty mechanical, and had access to a tool and die shop at work, but gave up on that loading system. I gave it to a guy I didn't like. All the flimsey plastic stuff would always misfeed and I ruined a lot of components when the stuff didn't line up. There was a lot of variance with the powder charges. I was always worried about safety when the primers would try to seat crooked. I replaced it with a Dillon 550B and set it up the first day, and the 1st complete cartridge came out perfect as did all the 1000's from then on out. I wore out one little piece on the Dillon powder measure in 15 years, and they would not let me pay for it, they sent it for free.

Entry level single stage equipment, buy the LEE,
    trouble free progressive equipment, buy the DILLON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lee loadmaster press