1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Load All 2 vs MEC 600 Jr. - Beginner

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Cyanzer, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Cyanzer

Cyanzer TS Member

I am pretty new to target shooting and am seriously considering starting to re-load. I have run several calculators and realize that it won't be that cost effective, and while I accept that fact it is still frustrating.

I want to re-load because I believe I will enjoy the process and the pride that comes with making my own shells. Saving money won't be my top priority - learning the ins and outs of reloading will be.

I will probably shoot between 200-400 shells a month when the weather warms up and am trying to determine what loading press I should buy. While I've read that the MEC is a better machine - and much much faster, I'm just not sure if it makes sense for someone like me to shell out four times the money to get a MEC considering the volume of shells I'll be re-loading.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments, and advice.

Thanks - Chase

2. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

This is a no -brainer, get the MEC. Also, there should be plenty of used ones for sale on eBay for attractive prices (sub $100).

Leo, red_barron1976 and Russ-in-Pa thanked this.
  3. Mr. Pump Gun

Mr. Pump Gun Member

I was recently in your same situation , and trust me the mec is the way to go. I absolutely love my mec 600jr.

4. mac1

mac1 Active Member

Mec 600 jr the loadall is all plastic, not any room for speculation on this one

Mac

5. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've owned a used both.
    While the Load-all will load a good looking shell, the MEC is made to last and is worth the difference.
    My Lee broke after a couple of years loading less than a 1000 hunting loads.
    My MEC was in great shape when I sold it after thousands of loads.
    Get the MEC and don't look back.
    Look for a used one in the for sale section. Could find a deal not much more than the Lee.
    Be careful though, it can become an addiction.
    George

Leo thanked this.
  6. mach1cj

mach1cj TS Member

I've got a Mec 600 jr. that's 50 yrs. old this year and still works perfectly! Mec service is outstanding.

7. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I didn't notice you post count. If no one else has done so, welcome to TS.com.

And a quick review of an eBay search for "MEC 600" shows many, many of them, likely in varying condition.

8. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

I recently started reloading myself. I purchased a MEC Sizemaster from a member on here. I love it! Got a good deal as well. Just put a post in the wanted to buy section or just ask if anybody has one they want to sell under this thread. Also I believe someone gas a 600 jr on the for sale tab for $100.00.

9. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Best way to determine "ball park price" is to look at what they have gone for on eBay (under the advanced tab, you can get it to display competed sales). But you have to define the size of the ball park. Is it +-$10, $20, etc. $100 seems to be at the outer edge of the ball park.

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Mec. Don't even look back.

11. 1straightshot

1straightshot Well-Known Member

They show up cheap on Craigslist too.

12. HuffinK5

HuffinK5 Member

Go with the 600 Jr. That's wahat I started on. It will last a lifetime. I've upgraded to a Grabber now, but still use the 600 to load up a new recipe to try out.

13. Dschroeder83

Dschroeder83 Member

Mec all day long. I found a mec sizemaster on Craigslist for $75

14. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

MEC. All day long. Used is very affordable. As an added benefit, you will be familiar with the MEC way of doing things when you upgrade

15. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I own both. Go for the MEC jr. You can buy a used one also at a good price. I wouldn't recommend the Lee for much of anything unless you want to load one or two boxes of special shells.

16. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I was given a Lee in 20 gauge. It was not worth what I paid for it. They are garbage. IMHO

17. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

To help substantiate the above, I've got a 20ga and a 12ga 600JR that I believe we purchased in about 70'.

Buy the JR.

18. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I had a Lee in 20 gauge and I still have one in 16ga. I gave the 20 ga away and bought a used Mec Jr. The 16ga I still use but only rarely because it is such a pain.

19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Guys, original poster is banned.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  20. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I think he was trying to get around the post limitation on communicating with other users. Looks like they caught him.