1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lee greenwood

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was on You Tube and I came across 9/11 video's. I can remember where I was like it was yesterday when I first heard that we were under attack. It still upsets me to no end. I remember President Bush so angry that evening and while on the news he had tears in his eyes.

I was never more proud of President Bush and to be an American when he visited the workers at the twin tower site. I remember him holding a bull horn and a construction worker yelled out something and the president said " I can hear you, the rest of the world here's you, and the people who knocked down these buildings will here all of us soon". Then the crowd started shouting USA, USA.

I than came across a video of Lee Greenwood singing God bless the USA, shortly after 9/11. It was hard not to have a tear in your eye.

Where wear you when you were first told of the 9/11 attack?
    Steve Balistreri

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I was on my mail route listening to npr so I got it right away. I immediately called my Mom to make sure she knew and to maybe say goodbye?? I had know idea what was next like all of us. Bad Days Bill

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

I was home and got a call from a friend. Turn on the TV she said. I did and
    saw the burning first tower and then the aircraft hit the second tower. I will
    never forget it. John

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was late going to work I had a dental appointment

But on a side note, there were some libs that said that song was bad, because it promoted that America is better than other countries, Hannity played the tape of them cutting the song down

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I was just pulling out of Carlinville, Illinois after five days of dove hunting when I heard about the attacks. I was listening to St. Louis radio stations as I went back to Chattanooga, TN. All of the airplanes were being grounded and the St. Louis airport was expecting quite a few to land there.

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I was in West Yellowstone, Montanna on vacation. I got up that Tuesday morning and turned on the Today Show, shortly before the jet hit Tower 2, and watched in disbelief. News video did not show everything fortunately, (all of the people jumping to their death). I remember thinking, whoever can get out better get out quick, as I did not see how it was possible that Tower 2 remained standing having what appeared an entire corner and about 1/3 of the center destroyed a little above the mid-way point and bearing so much weight above it.

When it went down I could only pray for those inside or who jumped and hope that Tower 1 would bear the weight to give anyone who could get out more time to do so. It stood longer than I expected and I was thankful that may have allowed more people to get to safety. I remember watching all of this going on, thinking why don't they dump water on it with helicopters or airplanes, like forest fires, or picking people off of the roof with helicopters. I remember that sense of desperation wanting to see more being done, but inwardly knowing that nothing could be done to save those whose exits were cut off. Its a sick feeling knowing people are dying right in front of the camera, so to speak, and you can't do anything to stop it.

Listened to the radio and reports most of the time during the remaining 2 and 1/2 days of the vacation, while touring Yellowstone, Livingston Gardiner, and Jackson. I remember being amazed at how quickly information was released on the terrorists and listening to a lot of press conferences with Ashcroft and Mueller. For a very beautiful area of the Country, and a prime tourist location, it was somber everywhere you went, but you could see patriotism alive and well. I cannot say I got much enjoyment out of that trip, but it made me appreciate life all the more, and noticed how it seem to pull this Country closer together. Fortunately, I was with a large travel group and we were able to fly home about 9 hours later than the original departure time on Thursday. I was never more nervous about flying, than on that flight. I filled 2 air sickness bags and was working on a 3rd one when we landed in Indianapolis, and I haven't flown since. I was never happier to be back home than on Friday 9/14/01 in the early morning hours. I remember it vividly, and don't expect that I will ever forget those images short of Alzheimers.

7. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

I was on my way to the club to do a little shooting, then I turned on the radio. Total disbelief, then sorry for the people. Bob

8. G550

G550 TS Member

I had just hiked to the top of Mt.Passaconaway at the southern end of the White Mountains in NH. There I met two Mass Army National Guard soldiers (Medical Company). I remember we remarked how absolutely clear the sky was. We were talking when one of them got a phone call from his wife to tell him of the tower 1 attack. They thought it was an accident at first. As a career (35 yrs at that time) AF and civilian pilot, I said not possible. Then on the way down a call from his wife confirmed the tower 2 attack. I looked at them both and said "you know what this means!" They both said "we'll be called up soon." The next few days of hiking the White's had a totally different context.

RCH

9. senior smoke

Very interesting comments. I read somewhere that most people will remember exactly what they were doing on the bombing of Pearl harbor, Kennedy's assassination, and 9/11.

I was not born at the time Pearl Harbor was bombed. I was in grade school when the President was shot and killed. The school piped in the radio report and when they announced that he died, my teacher started crying at her desk. They let us out of school early that day. That was also a very sad day.
    Steve

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was working in the National Gallery of Art directly across the street from the Capitol...things got frantic real quick there...F16's and F18's overhead and no way out of town if you rode the subway in like me

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, I think I recall that week.

I was traveling for business and was watching the TV news report that morning from my hotel room in Houston. As the female reporter dicussed the apparent airplane "accident" in New York, the live video feed behind her just happened to catch a second plane slamming into the other tower. She continued babbling, completely oblivious. I found myself yelling, "Look at the monitor, you knucklehead!"

Planes were grounded for days so after days of calling the airline we ended up "stealing" our local rental car to drive cross-country and get home. As I walked into my house after being gone all week, my young son ran up to me, jumped into my arms, and vomited all over me - covering me from chin to shoes. I looked at my wife, puzzled why she wasn't laughing uproariously. She then informed me that my mother had just suffered a massive stroke. She'd have been 87 tomorrow.

Rough week.

-Gary

12. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I was working dayshift, Baltimore County MD Police Dept. When I heard, I went to the PC and we watched the 2nd plane hit the tower. All of us knew we were in for a long haul.

God Bless America!!!

Oscar

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

On my honeymoon in Hawaii. Signed our names in the Arizona memorial guestbook the day before it happened. We'd just watched the story of all the men entombed there in that ship, not knowing that in 20 hours, we'd be watching the same thing on TV. The Honolulu newspaper headline the next morning said it was the "New Pearl Harbor." I still have that paper; for some reason, on that letterhead, it seemed to have an unusual weight to it.

Interestingly...at 9 AM Hawaii time, 7 hours after the attack...hardly anybody knew about it yet except the airport. People were eating breakfast, totally oblivious to it...no kidding. On Island Time, everybody is on vacation, and nobody is watching much TV.

(When I stepped out on the balcony though, every warship in Pearl Harbor was fanning out to sea in different directions...they sho'nuff got the word).

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Steve,

Here is your question posed another way...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fvj6zdWLUuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. senior smoke

Jono2:
    Spell checker is a bit to technical for my pea sized brain. I was also at Fort Sill, as I enjoyed my stay there.
    Steve

Gary:
    I'd say that was indeed a rough week especially for you. Sorry to hear about your mother.
    Steve

16. porky

porky TS Member

Brazil, couldn't get back for a while either.

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

We're still paying the price for that today Steve, big time. They wanted to change our world and I guess they sure did that. God Bless America, especially the one we used to know. Times will never ever be what we once knew. God Bless.

18. senior smoke

Bob:
    I hope you are wrong, but I kind of agree with you.
    Steve

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I was here on our farm, watching the morning news when I saw the first tower on fire. I went to town and heard about the plane hitting the seconds tower. Not long afterword I got a call form my son who was working at Suncor in Fort McMurray, Alberta (the oil sands) and he told me military helicopters and F-18s were patrolling the area. I'll never forget that day. God Bless America.

Ron Burr

Alberta

20. johnboy

johnboy Member

Training session at work. My boss was sitting next to me replied that was no accident.

I was proud of Bush that day at ground zero when he informed the terrorist they would hear from us. He sure screwed things up after that. Took a left wing liberal to get the job done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.