1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving Guns in Cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

How about leaving your gun in the case...hard or soft...between trips to the range? Is this a bad idea?

2. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

I've never done it, but where I live the humidity is a big risk factor. If you clean and wipe down your guns before putting them in a case, you at least reduce the risk I guess... -Ed

3. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Are yu cleaning the gun prior to returning it into the case?
    As soon as I get home I open up all the cases, let them cool, and clean the gun ASAP.
    To me, doing nothing is asking for trouble.
    As an assistant on a high school team, I admire the kids for shooting in the rain. But I have a cow when I see gun cases on the ground getting wet, because I know where that is going...
    dju

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Seen a problem with the foam lined cases. Was a few years back. Shooter came to the range and his gun had rust all over it. Last time he had the case opened was the last time he had shot.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've had sub-gauge barrels rust while stored on a hard case. And yes, they were heavily oiled prior to being stored.

Also depends on the humidity in your storage room.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Never leave a gun in a case

7. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Not a good idea if you have somewhere else. But when I was young and living in cramped apartment they stayed in cases under the bed.

I've never been much a gun cleaner, i.e. running brushes and patches down the barrel, unless they get wet. But I always wipe down the outside, and did so before they went in the cases.

Only rust was in a case that unbeknownst to me got wet in a leaking car trunk.

Canvas and cloth cases are better that plastic covered, "waterproof" cases that were once available.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I bought a shotgun that was in a canvas case in a closet for a long time. The barrel had the pattern of the canvas weave that had actually removed the blue. I once stored a new, clean, well oiled O/U in a "egg crate" foam lined case for a couple months. The bluing took on a patterned discoloration that was an exact match for the pattern in the foam.

My opinion; don't store arms in a cloth or foam case.

9. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Ditto on the prior 3 posts. I also store my guns upside down. A) si any slight oil thats in it dowsnt seep down into the stock. B) Eliminates the recoil pad or recoil system from undue wear. Is THIS silly??

10. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Never store in cases. Some of my soft cases even have a label on them stating that guns should not be stored in them.
    Clean and oil them first then let them breathe.
    Jack

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

In the case until done shooting for season. Then a good ole scrubbing and into the cabinet. Keep in mind this is my main gun. My once in a while shooters cleaned and put away after each time using them.

12. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

how about storing them upside down? overkill?

13. Boehler

Boehler Member

What about in a Americase ? Is that okay to store them in.
    Boehler

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I store mine in the Americases until I clean them and hang them in the safe, we have a very dry climate out here in Arizona so I doubt it matters one way or the other ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

I usually shoot mine twice a week year round so I just clean them and stuff them in my case and I never see any rust but if I was to not shoot for more then that I would pull them out and let em breath.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In general - no I don't keep my firearms in soft cases, those are just for when I take them out on a hunting or plinking trip.

My trap guns however do stay in their Americases all the time. These guns also get used frequently and being as I live in the desert, there isn't a humidity problem. In the freak event of a rain or snow, I clean and oil the shotguns and make sure the Americase is aired out and dry before returning the guns to them.

17. himark

himark Well-Known Member

A guy I shoot with forgot his combo gun in the back of his truck (in the bed) in a browning case only to find it had rained and he had 2" of standing water in front of truck with case. No problems and not a spot of rust.... Took a good cleaning and a oh chit moment but it was ok.

18. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Regarding storing guns up-side down, I used to have an acquaintance who dealt in old British double rifles, high end shotguns, etc, and he would religiously stand them upside down in the rack. He explained that a lot of the old guns that had been used in the tropics were cleaned by in-experienced help nightly to stop rust from occurring. And they would go way overboard on the solvents and oils.
    Imagine having a Holland and Holland Royal in .465 Nitro with a bad stock due to oil soaking into it?
    But back to reality...If I had plenty of room in the safe I would store certain rifles and probably shotguns USD. But that does take more room and presents its own dangers.
    Simply wiping the metal with a lightly oiled rag will go a long ways toward protecting your investment.
    dju

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sadly, as a youth, I ruined a gun by leaving it in a soft case. Never again.

You can get away with it with a hard case that has no fabric, like the green plastic Remington cases, or similar.

But for me there is no security with that, so the guns go into my safe.

20. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I store guns in both hard & soft cases. On soft cases, I wrap the metal in wax paper to avoid the gun metal coming in contact with the case; also leave it partially unzipped. When a gun is stored and unfired for long periods of time, I clean, even with stainless steel, it every 12 months with no exception; also wiping it down with gun oil. I use the wax paper to keep the oil on the metal surfaces versus being absorbed into the case material. Never had any surface rust on any gun over the past 40 years. It works for me. BT100dc