1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEAVE MY BEE HIVE'S ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

LEAVE MY BEE HIVE

I have been keeping bee's for about 30 years. It can be fun most of the time but not last night. There was a KA-BOOM near the house about 7:40pm. When I left to go to the store I went up to th barn to see if things were fine. I then saw my bee hive. I thought a bear had gotten in to it. As I looked around I saw that the tree had been it by lighting. The one that hit near the house. It have run down the tree and to the hive. This wwas my best hive. I worked on it for about 3 hours today and got things back together and saved what I couldn't find the queen so I have to wait till this weekend to see if I need to buy one. Parts of the hive was shot 30 feet way.
    auctioneer_2009_050728.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050729.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050730.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050731.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050732.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050733.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050734.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050735.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050736.jpg

2. esetter

esetter Active Member

I'm a beekeeper also and I feel your pain on this one.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You better get going to the scrap yard while metals still high auctioneer.

How much does a queen bee cost and where would you get one?

Nick

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the bad news. Question? Will the worker bees in the hive now follow a new queen bee??? Best of Luck with your hive. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Auctioneer

Esetter, Thanks.

Remstar311, there isn't any metal other then nails and the wire for the queen excluder. As for the queen I can order one through the mail but I have to be home when it gets here. The postman will just leave it in the black mail box in the sun. I can also drive south of where I am and hope I can buy one from another bee keeper. They are about $12.00 each. I will know more this weekend.

Pull and Mark, yes the bee's will make up their queen bee jell and make a new queen. That does take time and I don't think I have that much time. I will open up the hive this weekend and see if I can find a queen and if I can't I will then buy one.

I just got back in and got a big pot of wax and honey in a 24 qt pot. Now I will be draining the honey to save and feed back to the bee's winter. I also saved alot of the frames so I can pull the good parts and repair others. Lost about 25% of the damaged frames and saved about 75% to either rebuild or put back together.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Learn something every day. Didn't know you could buy a queen bee.

What next?

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Auctioneer, I think Nick's comment about scrap metal was about the vehicles in the background. We once had a zillion honey bees swarm in a locust tree next to our house. Thge swarm hung down about 6 feet. We called a local beekeeper, but I don't think he found a Queen. Larry

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Auctioneer.........Is there still a problem with the bees disappearing? I've heard that through out the country bees were disappearing and no one seems to know why.

Hope you get things back together again soon. We get our honey from a bee keeper and as far as I'm concerned there is no comparison to store bought.

9. Auctioneer

When bee's swarm to make a long story short they take the old queen with them. The queen is in the middle of the swarm. She's there thats why all thoses bee's are there.

Right now we have mitts that are attacking the hive and bee's. One is a mitt that on the outside of the bee. The other one goes inside the bee. You have the hive beetle and also fungus which is also called hive colapes(sp). Now its lightning.

I use to give a jar of honey to my gym trainer and someone asked what so great about YOUR honey? The trainer and I just smiled and I asked where he bought his honey. He said the store. I opened the jar and said take a taste. He did and rolled it around and then asked how much for a jar? I gave him a jar and told him that what he was buying in the store was horse piss. They cut it so much they take all life out of it. He now understands how good real honey is. LOL

10. Auctioneer

This pic is of what I was able to save off the damaged frames.
    auctioneer_2009_050737.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050738.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050739.jpg
    The last pic is after I squeezed it down to drain the honey out. It will be a number of days before it is finished. I will save it and feed it ack to the bee's.

11. twotimer

twotimer Member

Auctioneer, the other sad thing is the tree is now dead. Consider moving the hive before limbs start breaking off it and wrecking the hive again. Mike

12. Auctioneer

I'm watching the tree to see how it does. We had a walnut in the yard get hit by lightning about 3 years ago. Its still standing and bearing leaves. I just hope this tree does the same. If not I will cut it down before it does harm to the hive with a limb.

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I think thats pretty amazing. I have seen a few bee farmers but never knew anything about them, much less that ability to purchase a new queen.

Do they usually take her right in? Very cool.

Yes I was referring to your cars in the tall grass.

Nick

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'm ordering 2 italian queens monday, I just got in from inspecting my hives and 2 of them were full of bees but no queen and no brood..???

15. Auctioneer

RemStar311, you first have to find if there is a queen in the hive. You have to go in the hive and look for that one bee in 30,000 other bee's. She is long and slinder. I would have to say like a super model. Once you find her you kill her and drop her back in the hive. You then order a new queen. That will take 2 to 3 days. When she does come in you take the cage and place it in the hive. One end of the cage will be a suger wall. The bee's will eat out the suger and let her out. They will be happy to see her.

Now on the other hand. If you think there isn't a queen in the hive and you bring one in and it turns out that there is a queen the bee's will kill the queen you brought in. Protecting their queen. I have seen this done because the bee's thought they still had a queen. In other words the new queen was brought in to fast and they the bee's didn't know their queen was dead.

Some of thoise cars are for parts to keep one car running. The red one does need to be sent to the junk yard.

Blkcloud, I was very busy putting things back together to notice if I did or didn't have brood. I will say there was alot of honey in the brood box and supers. I will know more this weekend.

16. Auctioneer

Today I'm going to open up the hive and see if I can find the queen. If not I will then have to find one.

17. Auctioneer

Just went through the hive and there is no brood and no queen. Now I have to find a queen some place.

18. avery53

avery53 Member

That honey sure looks good!
    Reminds me as a kid, my father would track down a wild bee tree just about every year and get the honey. Your picture with the honey in the pot brought back that memory. Thanks

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Whats a brood? Please expand my horizons. This is very very interesting.

Nick

20. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Glad to know there are more beekeepers. I have 4 hives and plan on adding some more. I watched a documentary on Colony Collapse Disorder and was amazed by the beekeeper who lost 40,000 hives in 2 weeks. CCD was linked to a long-term release insecticide that since being banned in other countries has put their bees back on the road to recovery.

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.