1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning, understanding, adjustable ribs help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

Hi, is there a web site, books, or any place to find out information to help me understand and learn about adjustable ribs? The gun I just purchased has an adjustable rib in the front but it also is adjustable back by the stock (I have never owned an adjustable rib). I like my guns to shoot high and want it to shoot the same as my O/U but have no idea or knowledge about how or which way to adjust it, or how to check or test it. ANY help will be GREATLY appriciated. Thanks in advance.

2. superump

superump TS Member

This gun also has an adjustable comb in combination with the adjustable rib so I am sure it will be an adjustment of both to get it to where I want it to shoot.

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

To raise POI you have to lower the front bead and/or raise your comb. Best thing to do is to adjust it shooting alone on station #3. Have the machine set to shoot straight and adjust until solid breaks occur. I like real life over patterning boards. Just my opinion. Dave T.

4. superump

superump TS Member

Yikes sounds a little complicated. I was hoping there would be a web site that would have some graphics or charts to help. Anybody know of anything? Obviously its going to be some trial and error to.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I just went through this "challenge" learning you must pattern to get an idea where your rib/comb combination are placing your pattern. Then it is "cut to fit and paint to match" to get the pattern where you want it ... suggestions above are good. Just remember that if you lower the front of your rib, the POImpact will go up (and vice-versa). For me, the simplest approach was to set the rib at a "neutral" position and just work with the 4-way adjustable comb, leaving the rib alone. The best advice from this forum was to ignore "stacking the beads" as you look down the rib. Luckily, I got where I wanted and needed to be just before I thought I would have to go into counseling (just joking). Best Regards, Ed

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There are alot of adjustment which all do something to your REAL..POI.. But.. the pattern board is your first place to start..

first.. With the rib neutral..adjust your comb so YOU see the figure 8 many shooters look for.. Pattern it and see if you are dead on center...

second.. shoot it on station 3 with the machine locked for straigh away targets.. Try to get a spotter to see where you are missing.. if you miss.. Over?? under??? Most shooters will be under the target..

third.. raise you comb if you are under.. and continue till you inkball the targets..

fourth.. once you are inkballing.. go back to the pattern board and carefully measure of a distance.. 13 yards.. 15 yards... 18 yards.. anything in there will be fine..but it must be repeatable..so.. really measure.. This is YOUR needed POI.. write it down..

fifth.. adjust your rib till you see your figure 8.. not touching the comb..

sisth.. pattern again.. You should be very close to your pattern on step 4..

sixth..if you don't have your figure 8.. very slightly adjust the comb to get it.. then pattern again.. looking for POI from step 4.. We want that pattern to be exactly what you get in step 4.. as we know that is exactly correct..

seventh..you should be there.. If not..You might be one of the many that perfectly adjusted..you'll see a little rib..not much.. but no perfect figure 8.. You and your barrel.. and polacement of your center bead is a little bit off.. From here.. if it must be perfect.. You DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTING.. Now you look for a larger mid bead to make up the distance your eye sees..(this is basically totally useless because if you are looking at the beads.. you're not looking at the target..)..

eighth... if you need more help.. E-mail me directly..

All Good.. Mike

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Perazzi Big Bore, it appears that if you have a Perazzi manual...you haven't read it or don't understand it. Mine clearly shows POI pictures on all rib positions with the caveat that the comb should be adjusted to show a figure 8 bead configuration. If one follows those directions the gun will shoot exactly where the manual says it will, no matter you physic or eccentricities.

Buz

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Buz.. I respectfully answer.. a piece of paper has never shot 1 target.. This is how I have done it for many years.. It's worked for me.. and countless other people.. Anyone may use what they would like... this is what has worked for me..and for those who want that PERFECT figure 8....

Despite all the pictures in the book.. many people perceive the sights differently...or what they want.. How many people here can really judge 8"..12"..5"...space at 33 moving yards??? I know I can't.. Funny how everything on a Perazzi is metric.. yet the wording is in inches??? Not that I'm splitting hairs..but on comb and rib adjustments.. a very little.. to me.. can be an awful lot.. On my MX14..the difference between me hitting the target.. and inkballing it.. was a 1/16th" spacer..

I invite anyone who reads my post.. not to use it.. I'll sleep the same way tonight either way.. A few might find it useful.. some might find it trash..I hope that the effort I put forth was helpful to someone.. that's really the only reason I post here.. I'm sure each and every one has their own way of doing it.. this is my way..Time proven.. never failed me yet..

As alway.. I invite your reply.. All Good.. Mike

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Just to stir the shit, I used to get a kick out of Kiner raising his comb 1/32 of an inch for caps! Sorry, boys, but this is roughly 1 " at 40 yards! If he is that damn good, I do not ever want to compete with him at a big money shoot!@ Tom Rhoads

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, I adjust my Perazzi's the same as PBB stated. It's always worked fine.

An Alfermann?? I think you stick the barrel between a fork in an Oak tree. Right??

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Does full of shit mean any thing to you camster! Your trig needs a lot of work! Tom Rhoads

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I suspect 1/4 is more like 10" at 40 yards.. but, I'm just guessing...

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yoda.. I was under the impression it was an honest question.. which probably has many answers..All of which are true to an extent.. and false to an extent..

While I'm not saying my answer is 100% right.. and someone else is wrong..this is what has worked for me.. especially setting up PFS stocks with adjustable everything.. on just about every gun they make a grip for.. with every type of shooter.. from young to old.. male and female.. People see things differently... That is why step 3 is so important.. And that step will change as a shooter progresses in the sport.. How many shooters start out at 50/50 and a few years later is shooting 80/20----90/10???

Then again Yoda.. you might be right.. people just play here.. this was all for fun and I've totally wasted everyones time.. to which I am sorry.. Still all good... Mike

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My chokes usually start out at .032 and go up to .052...and I both shoot and teach those who seek my help with 24 gram.. There is little margin for error..You learn to be exact.. not almost.. I suspect with a .020 choke and 1 1/8oz of shot.. it leaves a larger margin for error.. you'll learn from the 27.. that it's not acceptable.. Perfection is a must..

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Your POI on the bench or free hand don't mean squat unless you know what POI you need to shoot good, and then you have to be consistant enough to know your real POI.

Also....to some a bead gap is a good thing.

This thread is getting good. NSEXR's post is the most factual for that gun.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I fully agree.. if the one who started this thread had a MX15.. it would be perfect.. but I see no indication of what gun he shoots.. how many notches in the rib..or.. for that matter.. at what POI the rib starts?? Is it 50/50.. 70/30 ??? so.. I'm left with my silly way.. And you are correct.. if the rib starts out at 80/20 to 130/0 and the man shoots a 70/30.. He'll never get there unless he adds a higher front bead.. to lower the POI.. Like I said.. nothing is perfect..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.