1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to shoot with 2 eyes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MW58, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MW58

MW58 Member

After shooting with 1 eye for over 35 years, I'm trying to make the jump to shooting with both eyes open. Having a very hard time NOT looking at the beads. I know this is gonna be a tough transition, after exercising a bad habit for so long. Does anyone have advice (professional or otherwise)on what I can do to make this easier? Are there any exercises I can practice, or any good coaches who are fluent on this subject?

2. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Great question! I'm right there with you, same struggle.

3. BD457

BD457 Member

I only have 33 more years with the one eye and then I'm right there with ya.

Mike

4. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Lose the beads, knock them or take them off the barrel.

practice, practice, practice

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get rid of the beads. Get on station 3 with the machine locked on straight aways and adjust the comb until you are smoking the targets. After doing this you will have a gun that is shooting where you are looking. That is what you need if you are going to shoot with two eyes. After you're done you can put the beads back if you like. HMB

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Forgedddaaboudit.......SMOKIT

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Initially, try starting out with the "new or other eye" just slightly closed/open with all things being the same. After a few rounds, slightly open up the new eye. This is how I did it. Also the advice regarding locking in the trap thrower is very good. Taking the beads off.... well not so much IMHO.

Have you ascertained which eye is the dominant eye? Hopefully it is the one that you have been using all along. If the dominant eye is the new or other eye, then.... STOP. And stay with one eye open and the other obfuscated with some translucent tape on your shooting glasses.

Lastly, if you wear correcting shooting glasses... (I suspect you do given you have been at the trap game for 30 years... then make sure your eyeglass correction in your shooting glasses is good and current.

Hope this all helps Ya Amigo.
    Art

8. racer

racer TS Member

This worked for me.... I just kept the barrel down on the house so the beads weren't silhouetted in the back ground. Practice looking up from the gun before calling pull- but don't be moving your focus when calling... Dan

9. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Boy have you ever opened up a can of worms here. Here's my opinion on the matter. Everyone has their own ideas and there are multiple ways to fix your problem. At the end of the day, whatever you do, you need to train your brain. Give this technique a try. Put a very small dot (scotch tape) on the left eye lense of my shooting glasses. The dot should be just big enough to block out the beads of the barrel. I know, I know, everyone says not to look at your barrel, right? That is bull. You certainly don't want to look at your beads and 'aim', but the barrel is part of the sight picture....period. People that tell you they don't look at or even see their barrel are the same people that say 'I had four feet of lead on that target?'. How could they possibly know thet unless they know where the end of their barrel is?!?!?!? It's all part of the picture.

At any rate, shoot with the dot for a while. It get's your left eye used to looking for the target and it's not drawn to the barrel since it isn't visible. At first you will notice the dot. After a while, you won't notice it at all. When that happens, you know your eyes are working in unison. They are on the same page so to speak. Now it's time to take the dot off. What you will find is that you will have better focus on the target. You only think you are looking at the target now with one eye. You'll find that you are less and less aware of the barrel in the sight picture. You'll always see it as part of your sight picture, but you will rely les and less on it being there when you go to two eyes. After a while your brain will 'get it' and you'll ask yourself....'why didn't I do this years ago?'.

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,not the same.However,I was an one eye shooter for years,game etc.. When the fella that got me into trap shooting 3yrs ago,I respectfully told him I had heard to shoot trap good,you should use both eyes.Therefore I made my mind up that when I picked up a shotgun again,it was going to be two eyes.All I can say is,I focused on using two eyes,listened when he said don't aim,just look and shoot.That's what I've done now for three years.Seems to be working.The only thing I can say is different is I don't see the beads or barrel once I mount the gun and look for the target.I do have a problem when someone says float the target because being I don't see the barrel or bead,I have No idea what to use to float it.It can be done and being I learned to,anyone can.LOL,,I'm an Ol' dog learning new tricks.

Doug H.

11. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I am on the middle in this. I use one eye to position the gun, open both eyes and call the bird, track it, then shut one eye as I shoot. I also hold high above the house so my gun movement is mostly horizontal.

12. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Do yourself a favor and buy "Insight to Sports: Featuring Trapshooting and Golf" by Dr. Wayne F. Martin (you can order it at Shotgun Sports). It makes a case for two-eyed shooting and explains some of the obstacles you will have to overcome. I made the switch after hearty encouragement from my coach and after reading this book. My coach--and Dan Bonillas--swear by it.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The first thing you do is get your hands on Phil Kiner's video (worth every cent) and the second is is get a video camera, put it on a tripod and film yourself over your shoulder shooting with eyes open, eye closed or taped. Then playback on a large screen paying close attention to your barrel movement. If you have a good clear background you should be able to see the shot as it drives to the target using slow or stop motion it's very informative. This will tell you without a doubt if you shoot best one eyed or two.

Good luck.......

Surfer

14. pjcodner

pjcodner TS Member

I am in the middle of this transition from closing one eye to both eyes open. I took the route of putting a piece of scotch tape on my shooting glasses covering up my normally closed eye. Once I did that I was able to stop seeing the bead with both eyes and I was actually pretty successful the first time out. I shot 24 out of 25 from the 16 but then I shot 12 out of 25 from the 22. So I am still trying to figure out the lead etc with both eyes open.

15. bigben

bigben Active Member

MW58, congrats on your new journey, I know the tendency for looking at the beads, it;s natural, but as you progress into the realm of 2 eyes, move your focus out to about the 18 to 20 yd. distance from the house, now when the target appears above your rib, it will be a visually killable target, looking through, not at the rib or beads, shoot it now! don't let your one eyed focus to come back to the rib, I would suggest to get on a field alone, have someone set just straights, and shoot until you are pounding them , then move to other posts, still on straights until you are confident, do not be discouraged, shooting for some has been 30 plus years, it will take work but it is well worth the effort! incinerate em!

16. MW58

MW58 Member

I want to thank everyone who chimmed in with thier ideas. Let me say a little about myself, I made the decision to shoot with 2 eyes just 2 weeks ago, I've shot 7 rounds of trap and I'm braking 18-19 birds from the 16 yard line. The trouble I'm having mostly is on stations 1 & 5. The birds that require a little bit of lead are the ones that I cant get a handle on. I also shoot 5-stand and Sporting and I cant hit the side of a barn from the inside there. When I miss a target I have no idea why, or where my barrel was at when I triggered that shot. My suggestion to myself is to master 16 yard trap first and then move back from there. I would like to hit 21-22 consisently before I make a move. Your suggestions ???

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Read thread shooting over hard angles, stations 1 & 5 , may give you some insight.

Surfer

18. clayshooter100

clayshooter100 Member

Mike my suggestion is to let your friend from lansing help you when your not turkey hunting Jon

19. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Embrace the one eye shooting. I did.

Bryan

20. Wass

Wass Member

It took me a full year to get used to moving from a one eyed shooter to using two eyes. I think it was worth it in the end, but you need to put your time in and your scores may suffer for a while. In the end, I think it was worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.