1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to shoot trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tekyn gold, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

I can not stop my grandson shooting a trap gun like a rifle, stop. pull the trigger (lost target)
    any ideas

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Gold..........Not unusual with new shotgunners! He just needs to become more conscious of how to shoot a "moving" target. There's lots of good info out there on this! Take him to the bookstore!

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Tell the boy what he is doing wrong and then break him of his bad habit by telling that each and every time he stops swinging his gun your going to wack him with a cleaning rod. Sooner or later he will learn not to stop his gun and will no longer be missing the targets.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I told my grandson; concentrate on the leading edge of the target, never on the barrel, get in front and "trust your eyes". He started breaking targets,(Sporting Clays) when we got around to the rabbit station, he has yet to miss a rabbit target, life is good. Worked for us. GOOD LUCK

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

if he plays base ball or golf, try asking him to hit a ball stoping his swing. This also worked for myself. After the shot, hit or miss. Stay in the gun and follow the target or largest piece to the ground. Stay in the gun and follow through. Just needs to see the relationship. Of follow through and more targets broken. Hes may also be thinking about squeezing the trigger. A problem one of our Jr riffle shooter has. He will shoot riffle for a while squeezing, then pulling on the shotgun. Then going back to riffle starts pulling instead os squeezing

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Take him over to the skeet field, set him up on station 7 with his feeet pointing straight out (that is, 90° clockwise from pointing at the high house), and have him shoot the high house incomer, but don't let him shoot too early. Shoot when its right in front of him.

This may help reinforce gun movement.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Depending on his age tell him that trap is just like good sex ... ya gotta follow threw cause if ya stop in the middle your never gonna ... well ... like I said depending on his age ya might not want to make that reference.

8. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

How about the coke can on a string or rope in the backyard. Follow the can back and forth, pull the trigger right at the bottom (or teach him to get slightly ahead of it). Watch him and get him to pull the trigger with a snap cap in the gun at the bottom of the arc, then make him keep following the can with his follow thru.......don't even recock the gun, just keep dry firing by having him pull the trigger each time the can gets to the bottom of the arc.
    Dennis

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know the next problem the kid is going to have is after he is beaten enough to break him of the habit and begins to learn that ya gotta follow thru and go all the way so that he has something to look forward to in his sex life is he will begin to pick his head up off the stock to watch the target break ...

Start now while he is breaking his bad habit of stopping the gun to avoid the next problem by either cluing velcro to his cheek/face and the stock or get some really kewl looking duck tape and either velcro or duck tape his face/cheek to the stock.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Also, if he's stopping the gun, he might also be looking at the bead.

Reinforce, "head on the stock, both eyes on the target."

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Enforce it all by whacking him with a good stiff cleaning rod each time he does one of the now probably many mistakes he is making ...

Have you thought about buying him a football for Christmas?

12. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

oops forgot to add to my post, you could have him keep the gun and the eyes on the target or a piece of the target all the way to the ground, that way if he broke it, the follow thru is reinforced, if he misses he has the whole target to chase thru the air for a while.

d

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Follow the target (or a chip) to the ground. Good suggestion by ddrsuz. I forgot that one, but we teach it to our SCTP kids. Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

learning to shoot trap