1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

learning to checker gunstocks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Is this something that requires artistic ability, or just practice? I've often thought about trying to learn how to do it (i'm in no rush to checker anything special so i'd take the time to learn how to do it right), but have very little artistic ability beyond stick figures LOL.

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Start on baseball bats.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

gordy- no practice wood as of yet, but the local woodcraft probably has something i can hack on if need be. I really don't have anything as far as tools or instruction materials yet, had been toying with the idea for years, and was inspired to think about it again seeing Dennis Devault's wife, Cindy, checkering section on his website, and was intrigued to read she'd only been doing it since 2005 (and seems to be doing high quality work with only 2-3 years experience,,,although she's probably done as many in a few years as some have done in a lifetime).

4. VNVET

VNVET Member

I saw a power checkering tool on ebay this morning. It may work better than hand tools.

5. Beak

Beak TS Member

Skeetman, I learned to checker (by hand, not power tool) years ago. The man who taught me, made me practice, practice, practice. It does require patience and sharp tools. I use Dembart which can be purchased through Brownell's. I suggest you purchase Monty Kennedy's book "Checkering" (Amazon or Brownells), read it, and see if checkering is for you. There is no better satisfaction than doing one yourself and having it admired by other people. Just my $.02. Beak

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Brownells has checkering tools. Power and hand. You will also need a checkering bench or some type of device to place in a vice to rotate the material. I use to do a lot of checkering, but it's time consuming. Power checkering works best, but you must crawl before you sprint. Start on flat pieces of pine then go to curved material.

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

This is definitely something you better leave to those trained to do it correctly! I've seen nice stocks and guns totally screwed up due to a lack of this knowledge! If you don't believe this, then I encourage you to go ahead a try it yourself!

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

You got the right advice from Beak. "I suggest you purchase Monty Kennedy's book "Checkering" (Amazon or Brownells), read it, and see if checkering is for you"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

learn to checker gunstocks

where to learn to checker stocks