1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEARNING stock making

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plumbguncrazy, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

Anyone know of any stock makers in WI or some good info as to where to get tips on stock making, love guns love working with wood.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

inletted my first stock (a Fajen thumbhole as I recall) in about 1977....watched a gunsmith do it...bought a set of good Marples carving chisels, some bottoming rasps from Brownell's...made some scrapers from 1/4, and 3/8's spade wood bits with tool handle and got to it...some of the best hours I've ever spent have been doing my own stockwork....get some good tools and have fun!!

Ron Burr

3. ljutic73

forgot to add...get a set of barrel channel tools from Brownell's....you'll never be sorry you spent the money on them!

Ron Burr

4. 100straight

100straight Member

I have quite a few shotgun stock blanks that I would sell, and I'm in Wisconsin. The blanks are mostly seconds, and I bought them to practice on, but I don't have the time. Drop the xx from the front of the e-mail address if you are interested.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. 100inarow

100inarow TS Member

What ever you do DON'T go out and buy a lot of tools. You should accumulate them as you need them and as you gain experience. The ones already mentioned ARE necessary ~ so get a barrel channel rasp and scrapers (or even more fun MAKE them) and keep them SHARP! You'll put that barrel & action in and out 200 times before you get it inletted right (keep scraping the soot ~ where did you think I got my name?).

The most important rule is GO SLOW! You can always take more wood off but you can't put it back on!

6. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

thanks for the replys good advice, still looking for more, whats the best way to clamp the wood still without damaging it

7. ljutic73

I use a piece of foam backed carpet which sits in my vice in a "U" shape and workes great.

8. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

ljutic73 sounds like you know what your talking about, whats the best way to fit a blank to a break action receiver. it seems very difficult

9. ljutic73

plumbguncrazy...I have always relied on a good stock duplicator operator to do a first rate job of copying the inletting and shaping to about 90% and then it's just a matter of using "Prussian Blue" to highlight the high spots and tight spotsw and then very gently removing wood with scrapers, chisels and rasps until it's "right"and not tight. I am am amateur, make no mistake about that but enjoy the challenge of inletting gunstocks. Ljutics and 90T's are on the easy end of spectrum and Winchester 21's are close to the other end and I've done them both, in addition to Model 12's, 870's and a variety of rifles...all my own...for my own enjoyment....plus I am a sucker for nice wood!

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The only way to learn how to make stocks from blanks would be to apprentice with a seasoned stock maker or attend a gun-smithing school with stock making as part its curriculum.

As was mentioned, you might start with the final inletting on a 90% inleted stock from someone like www.wenig.com or have someone with a duplicating machine duplicate a stock that fits you and finish the final 10% of the inletting.

As an aside, there are many more people who can make stocks than can make stocks that fit the owner. If you have a stock made, make sure the craftsman is a seasoned stock fitter so he will make a stock that fits your particular size and shape.

Rollin

11. ljutic73

I agree, Roland....that's why I only do my own stockwork. I leave custom work to the pro's who make thier living from it. Those who can turn a blank into a masterpiece I hold in the highest regard. Thier work ranks right up there with the finest sculptors IMHO.

Ron Burr

12. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

thanks again for the advice, what about checkering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.