1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 28, 2013.

1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This year I'm determined to learn & get respectable in shooting doubles. My game plan is to have a trap machine set up just for one straight away & master getting the first shot quickly & accurately--then proceed to shooting the second bird and finally shooting pairs.

Looking for help.

Phil Berkowitz

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I used to be to "methodical" with doubles. Someone told me to get that first shot off so quick you are nearly out of control...but yet under control. I started spot shooting that first bird and this gave me plenty of time on the second.

The other thing I do is pick a spot out where that first bird will be and line it up with a tree, pole, or anything in the straight line of sight on that first bird. I then use that reference to line my gun up before calling. These things work for me that is all I can say.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The best advice I heard about shooting doubles is; "Shoot the first bird, then shoot the second one." :) Mark

4. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Getting some solid advise as to foot position on each station and hold points for the first bird improved my doubles scores immediately. After that, it's all about how fast you get to the second bird, which is really about how fast you shoot the first bird and then swing to the second. If you admire the first break, you'll most likely be late to the second bird.

5. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

An old boy on here a few weks ago posted this message;

There are three basics to shooting doubles....

Foot position

Where to hold on the first target and

Post Three...

You should position your feet to shoot the second target. Next, Concentrate on the path of the first target by picking a spot that the target passes through and hold your gun level at the point. When you call and see the target come just above the barrel, make a small upward movement as you pull the trigger and then lock your eyes on the second target until it's broken.... The key to post three,,,, is somewhat the same..except, take and draw an imaginary vertical line from the right front corner and see where the target passes through that vertical line. Hold the gun a touch under the flight path of the target and just inside the vertical line. THEN, when you call for the target you make a small right movement then lock your eyes on the second target until it is broken... The key word is "Broken". Do not take your eyes off the target...until it's broken.. I have taught three state and national rookies of the year to shoot doubles... My disclaimer is that this may not work for everyone... I'm not tooting my horn... but have broken 25 plus hundreds in doubles...I'm just trying to help everyone to be AA or better and love shooting doubles the same as I do....Bruce

27 YD'ER

And it works for me. Started just this year shooting doubles. First 100 I only broke 73. Came back and read the above by Bruce and shot a nice 85 and got in a shootoff for class. Won the shootoff. My doubles scores are consistently in the high 80's and low 90's with a 97 in there for a teaser. And an 80 2 weeks ago in a thunderstorm, and I have gone from 'D' class to high 'B' class in 1100 targets. Had I just shot another 90 I would have jumped into 'A' class.

Good luck on your training program. If it takes more than 25 straightaways to make them smokeball every time I will be surprised. It is the true pair that makes it doubles shooting. It is not setting up for the angle target and shooting too quickly on one or both shots that keeps a lot of people from having all the fun doubles is capable of giving. It is vary satisfying to make a pair disintegrate.

Don T.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I used to be able to shoot half decent scores in Doubles but it is all over for me now. The worst mistake in my career was getting a Double Release trigger. I wish I could back up the clock and shoot Pull/Pull again.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Exactly what miketmx said! Switching to a double release from release / pull (I didn't have a choice due to 2nd bird flinches) changed every dynamic of the doubles game for me. It doesn't get any better over time either...

JR

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap the first bird, no gun movement. Shoot the first bird using your left eye and the second bird using your right eye. Look under the gun with your left eye, when you see the first bird exit the trap house pull the trigger. Then move the gun to the second bird and pull the trigger.

I use a skeet choke for the first bird, and hit it when it is 5 yards out of the house. I use a IM choke for the second bird. HMB

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I was also told to move your eyes to the second target and the gun will follow. I guess some will follow the barrel as they move across to the second target.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Do not shoot the lead position. Mark the first target and line up at that point.

Most guys shoot straightaway first, but I have seen a couple right bird first shooters who were very competent.

Don't really spot shoot the first bird, a little gun movement will make it easier to go to #2.

If War Wagon sees this He may have a good tip or two.

HM

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Phil, how/where you hold to shoot the first bird depends upon you being a one or two eyed shooter. Kiner has a very good DVD and says you should see and shoot the first bird, then move to the second. He says it's not a sin to see it break. Trapping may be OK; but some machines "dance" and that can mean missed 1st targets if you're spot shooting. I'm still working hard at improving, and suggest you try taking a box of shells (or more) to each post and shoot that post until you're confident, then move to the next and do the same. I tried setting up for right or left singles but wasted a lot of time messing with the machine & settled on throwing correct pairs which gets you used to seeing both, regardless if you shoot the 2nd target or not.

best... mike

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The key to good doubles scores is being able to hit the second bird. Is it rising, falling, or flat? It all depends on how fast you get to it. The POI of your second barrel has to match the type of bird you're shooting at. HMB

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have always enjoyed doubles and I have always sucked shooting them. Left eye dominant right hand shooter. It's obvious to hold a low gun on the first bird and get it as quick as you can. I learned a lot of good info by attending a Nora Ross clinic. However, it's only recently that I started to shoot doubles well enough to win a couple of trophies. What I self diagnosed was that although I shot the first bird quickly, I tend to move to the second bird and shoot fast when in fact I was pulling my cheek off the gun ever so slightly. Now I concentrate on moving everything in one piece quickly then be deliberate in my second shot. It's good enough to put me on the border of moving up a class. I love Doubles!!!

blade819

14. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

Follow HMB's advice on doubles. Its a proven method to shoot a pair. And right
    quick, I might add. Almost like cheating.

Just Sharing,
    Gunnerx11

15. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Hey Phil

Try this;
    Get a truckload of shells (40,000lbs) delivered to Robinson Ranch and have Tom to save a spot for you this winter with Dan, Mike, Terry and the rest of the doubles crew. By the end of they truck load the crew should have you ready to compete with anybody........

Good Shootin

Wildcat Lewis

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Learn how to shoot Singles first!!

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Leo has a doubles video that will answer most of your questions. $60 plus $7 shipping/handling. Let me know if you need one.
    Karla

18. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

My philosophy for Skeet Doubles:

Soft focus -> See the target -> Pull the trigger -> Hunt the second target -> Pull the trigger.

Doubles was at one point my highest average in Skeet. Good luck!

-Wes

Oh, and you can't hit the pair until you hit the first bird.