1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning Double Release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MOP, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOP

MOP Active Member

I have been shooting a release/pull for several years. The time has come to learn to use a double release,if I can (occasional flinch on second shot). I would appreciate advice from double release shooters on the best way to do this and the length of time required to make the adjustment. I had no trouble at all with the change from pull/pull to release/pull.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I will pass on what works for me. When I shoot the first bird and start to come off to the second as soon as my eyes are on the second bird I set for the second shot so that when the barrel catches up to the eyes and target everything is ready to go. I found that for me at least trying to wait and set after I was on the second bird made for very choppy gun handling and broke my concentration just when I needed to be focused on the bird the most. Doing it in the null period when your eyes and gun are not locked on the target makes for an easy smooth transition between shot 1 and 2

I recently picked up another CG that is set up release pull and I envy you folks although for the life of me I can't see how you folks shoot them. Takes more skill and coordination than I can muster. On about 2 out of 5 tries I blew big holes in the sky somewhere between the remains of target 1 and target 2.

--- Chip King ---

3. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I just worked on it while sitting in a chair or walking around the house. Get that finger motion going (without the gun) a 100 times a day for a few days.

If you practice release-set turn(body a bit) then release you start getting that understanding in your head first.

Or count release (one) set (two) release (three) I did that too just with the finger moves first going 1-2-3

Then I did a lot on my chart too, It helps.

Terry.

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I found setting the second release as soon as possible made things smooth out for me and once your eyes lock on the second bird let it go.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I set the trigger for the 2nd barrel immediately after I have released the trigger for the first bird. I visualize this process in my mind until it becomes automatic muscle memory but I don't dare think about it on the line.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

As soon as my finger has opened to fire the first shot it closes to reset the trigger for the second. It's automatic, I don't even think about. It's open,close -one motion.

I think more shooters use this method, then delay in setting for the second shot.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like you could get brain damage during the learning process. HMB

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I got brain damage before the learning process, that is why I use a Release trigger.

9. meruns

meruns Well-Known Member

I was an A/B doubles shooter with the release-pull but got to flinching on the second bird. Learning the double release was 4 years of trial and error and misery. I finally mastered it and now am working my way back to a C doubles shooter. Wish I had stayed a release-pull and may still go back....merlyn

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Around 4 years and still a work in progress!!

11. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Set it on the recoil from the first shot while you are moving your eyes to the second target. You will make a much better move to the second target. Over time this will change into whatever is normal for you. Good luck.

Brownk80

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I set second shot as soon as I shoot first. For practice I went to station 7 on skeet field and shot doubles. Worked for me. Hope it helps. Jake

13. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I think I will just keep my pull/pull trigger!!

Allen

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Go to the easiest post for you on doubles. For most righties it is post 2. Stand there and shoot untill you start getting the hang of it. Then keep shooting from that post until it gets to be automatic. Then start changing posts.

For most shooters it will start to click by the time you shoot from 100-200 targets

15. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I beleive shooting skeet is the best way to learn to shoot the double release trigger. Shoot, and immmediately set the 2nd trigger and release when you get to the target. It teaches you to hold onto the trigger until you get to the bird.

Charlie

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I never used a release-pull. I went directly to the double release from the beginning. But I learned it by doing a dry fire with snap caps for 50 rounds, then when I was comfortable with that, doing what Phil Kiner said.

17. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

If you want to have fun shoot 5 stand with pull/pull after using r/r. I couldn't get my release to work so put in a pull trigger finished 2 more rounds. It was exciting to say the least. Tom

18. Cray

Cray Member

Take Phil's advice!!!!!!
    I've been shooting a double release since '92.Cray

19. bhuber

bhuber Member

MOP, I can't do a release at all. Talk to Uncle Sam as he shoots a double release all the time. I would think you would have to set it on the recoil of the first shot to be fast especially when shooting helice and similar games.

Brent

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why don't target shotguns have a nice adjustable trigger? Like the ones on a target rifle, with little screws to adjust weigt of pull, creep, and over travel. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.