1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaning in to the shoot!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Time for a survey! When you shoot trap do you lean forward in to the shoot? If so does the lean increase as you shoot from yardage? I think it's a waste of energy and uncomfortalbe

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Many all americans do a bit of flow forward into the shot. NOthing to that.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You should put some weight on your forward foot. How much is up to your tolerance. You should keep weight off your back foot.

4. Barry C. Roach

You should put some weight on your forward foot. How much is up to your tolerance. You should keep weight off your back foot.

5. Barry C. Roach

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

BBBBBBBBary Devoloping a fllllinch? LOL

Never lean back!

Joe

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Best way to find out is have someone sneak you a dud shell.... clean the dirt out of the muzzle afterward...

I think most people after awhile subconsciously lean into the the gun..

8. BMC

BMC Member

I've noticed some good shooters do it, and some good shooters don't, or at least its not very noticable if they are doing it. I started leaning forward with a "slightly" bent knee and it seems my scores have improved somewhat. To me it feels more like I'm attacking the target and can adjust to catch a target I wasn't expecting a lot better.

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

with weight over the forward foot, it is usually easier to pivot the body at the waist and to twist on the knee as well. This is a good cure for arm swinging when making a shot.

Bob

10. Barry C. Roach

Frank Hoppe recently talked about this in his feature in Trap & Field just this winter. I basically said what he said and Frank's da man.

11. Barry C. Roach

Frank Hoppe recently talked about this in his feature in Trap & Field just this winter. I basically said what he said and Frank's da man.

12. Barry C. Roach

13. Barry C. Roach

Sorry, I don't know what's going on with the multiple thread entries.

14. Barry C. Roach

I'm trying again to test.

15. Barry C. Roach

16. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I think you guys have been leaning on the bar to long......LOL........Roger

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Look at the pictures of Herb Parsons in the new American Rifleman.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think the Olympic guys lean into their shot because it's a faster shooting game than trap. Some great trapshooters also lean into their shot but it's not a necessity because we have more time to react to our slower targets. If you want to shoot a tad quicker, that forward lean is a tad quicker if your stock allows such a lean,, and your back/neck. My opinions only when observing different styles of shooting. Hap

19. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Shooting is a very individual situation, but for what it's worth here is what Leo suggests at his clinics.....stand in a relaxed, upright position, well balanced on both feet. Use your foot position to help you pivot from the waist, keeping your shoulders level. You should be balanced before you call for the target, remain balanced during the shot and be balanced after the shot. This gives you more control and a relaxed position requires less energy, allowing you to shoot more/longer before fatigue becomes a factor. Seems to work for Leo.....

20. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

The hard forward leaners do seem to be well anchored. Some fine shooters fall into this class. I've tried it and it uncomfortable for me. I like to take the small step forward with left foot. enough weight moves to it to be on balance. very slightly break the knee.( this allows you to pivot easier to the hardright bird without arm movement. the upper body stays in line up position and you are shooting where you look. The best exercise is to put the Pat on wobbles and crank it up so think time is reduced to nill. No shooting at 50 yard birds . get em quick. If you are shooting where you look You won't have time to look much at front beads. If you get 23 or better you are doing ok with what ever you do. With all that said One of the best shooters stands erect very little lean if any. Shoots a half a beat faster than most and doesn't miss many. Marv White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.