1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leakers when it comes to buying items

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fly, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fly

fly Active Member

rsikole asked if i would take 2 grand for a gun i had for sale. I accepted his terms, to not hear from him for several days, and then get a response, "i found a different gun and bought it".

Gabe [bmwgabe51@windstream.net], this guy agreed to a price, asked for the mailing address, and I waited for a check that never arrived. Wouldn't man-up and call saying he changed his mind would have been nice.

Whats with these guys? Are there a lot of deadbeat buyers these days, that have a champagne appetite with a beer wallet???

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It takes all kinds. Not very good business practice by either of them. Don't let those two turds ruin your faith in fellow trap shooters. Sounds like you just got unlucky twice.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

uh... sorry, I changed my mind

4. ky4some

ky4some Member

I don't like it when that happens either but we do have to keep in mind we are selling used sporting equipment and not running a retail store. I realize that trap guns hold their value more than most anything else I've seen but the reality is these are person to person transactions of used equipment (I realize not always used, but usually that's the case). In a retail store or even an on-line store there is a transaction close. In a retail store the buyer takes it up to the counter and hands over the item to be rung up. In an on-line store you click a "Buy It" button. Nothing like that in the world of selling sporting equipment be it high end shotguns, regular guns or even golf clubs.

Mike Kamer

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I had a guy who's a poster here string me along for over a month and a half on a Timney 1100 trigger, promising me he was going to buy it. Had to think it over, had to get permission from his wife, had to wait for his paycheck to arrive, ect. Toward the end he stopped responding to my emails. Finally gave up after 6 weeks of waiting for the guy to follow through and relisted it, and it was gone within a day. I'm much less patient now.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have bought and sold a number of items off this site. Mostly, everyone I've encountered have been stand up people. There have been a few tire kickers, but not many. That's the way it is when your selling something person to person. Getting cold feet is common if one waits a week before committing. And they freeze after a month. It's amazing what one will not buy if they wait a week before the purchase. Maybe, the emotional buy wears off and logic takes over.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Don't wait around for any dead beats. Until you have a check/payment in your hand, the item is available for sale to anyone who sends payment first.

8. fly

fly Active Member

i don't mind tire kickers, as I kick them myself, however when you negotiate a price with the seller, and get all the details to close the deal, (FFL-Mailing Address, etc.) don't string the seller along. If you need to back out of the deal, man up and tell the person selling the item you changed your mind.

I have had several good people to deal with on TS, but these two guys give others a bad name.

Retail stores have nothing to do with selling on a forum.

9. fly

fly Active Member

vpr80, you are correct, however when i tell you it's sold to you, i won't sell it out from under you. So we end up waiting 7-10 days on a check that never arrives.

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

This site is generally better than most. I have had a couple of guys here give me their word and then not follow through, but generally that does not happen. I email the forgetful ones to remind them and and then they just stop emailing back. I just shrug my shoulders and sell the item to someone else. If a guy changes his mind, gets laid off or something else, I am pretty undertanding, as long as he lets me know in a timely matter. The internet age has brought in a whole new attitude. Since there is hardly every face to face contact, people do not feel it is important to keep their word anymore.
    Keeping their word is one of the attributes I try to instill in counseling with young men. It appears that value is not taught much these days.

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I have had to turn down 2 others that wanted something I was selling, and after 2 PM's and an email, I have not heard back after a "I will buy it". So from now on, I will not even list it as SPF. I know not everyone on this site doesn't keep their word, but the bad apples spoil it for others.

Oscar Ray

12. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

If someone says they will buy something from me and we agree on price and terms then I mark the ad SPF but I will also respond to others that message me and tell them where they are in line if the deal falls through.

I had this happen once and the item went to the next in line. Oh, the first intended buyer was very nice; he thought he had the money but found out he didn't. He immediately called me and personally apologized which allowed me to go on to the next buyer. All I've dealt with so far are straight-up.

Mark

13. fly

fly Active Member

Mr Flinch, i can deal with people that at least let you know. This gun is a sad story, as a fellow trapshooter/sportsman will not be with us much longer, and I'm trying to meet his request by selling his favorite gun in a timely fashion.

14. fly

fly Active Member

I don't know Gabe's last name, and it really doesn't matter, but for others maybe request a deposit from PayPal immediately from this Leaker.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is that screwed sellers very seldom throw out the names, yes, names, of the guys that screwed them. I have a perfect, 100% positive record with buyers and sellers on this forum and on all three major gun sites, as well as ebay and the auction houses. I may get a bad egg tomorrow, but so far, so good. If I get a bad egg here or anywhere else, I will spread his name all over the internet. Funny how no one else has the balls to do it.

16. fly

fly Active Member

Still haven't heard from Gabe the Leaker, figured he would jump in to defend his BS.

Thanks to all who responded via PM, and good luck to some of you who are waiting for payment from him, next time don't send your merchandise in advance without his payment first.

17. fly

fly Active Member

Gabe the POS is alive and well and buying items he doesn't have money for. He just emailed me and told me i was the deadbeat. That is kinda funny. We know the keypad on his computer works, but apparently not the one on his phone.

Beware when doing business with this person. He still has outstanding debt with another person from Trapshooters that he bought an item from. "The check is in the mail"

18. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Ya, I had an 1100 stock for sale a couple of months ago. A guy (an infrequent visitor to this site) asked for pics and then agreed to buy it. He asked for my home address and said that he could not send the $$ until the next Friday. I marked the item as SPF. Got a couple of more notes asking more questions and assuring me that he would send the $$ the next Friday. Well, Friday came and went so a few days later I asked via email and TS.com PM if he had sent the money. NO reply. Asked again. No reply. He posted an item for sale here and I asked him on his post. It was ignored.

I can understand a person changing their mind, but in that case a little common courtesy would be nice.

Chris

19. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Ya, I had an 1100 stock for sale a couple of months ago. A guy (an infrequent visitor to this site) asked for pics and then agreed to buy it. He asked for my home address and said that he could not send the $$ until the next Friday. I marked the item as SPF. Got a couple of more notes asking more questions and assuring me that he would send the $$ the next Friday. Well, Friday came and went so a few days later I asked via email and TS.com PM if he had sent the money. NO reply. Asked again. No reply. He posted an item for sale here and I asked him on his post. It was ignored.

I can understand a person changing their mind, but in that case a little common courtesy would be nice.

Chris

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have had a dealing with Gabe these last 2 weeks by phone and the transaction was perfect between the both of us . I had a Citori Top single barrel for sale that he wanted and I sent it to him without payment which is not the norm ! It fit his Receiver perfect and he sent a check out the next day which I received today . All went well with our phone conversations and a deal gone right . I would not hesitate doing business with Gabe . I called Gabe that I received his check and we conversed a few minutes on this ongoing situation and that will be between Fly and Gabe . He has expressed his opinions of the situation that I will not discuss on here . I would do business with Gabe again .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.