1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEAGUE SHOOTERS, A DIFFERENT BREED???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    when i first started trapshooting i joined a league. shot 50, 16 yard targets a week. i enjoyed it, met alot of nice people. this past sunday i attended one of the area gun club, club chaMPIONSHIP SHOOTS. INFACT ANOTHER CLUB I BELONG TO HAS IT'S CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP SHOOT THIS WEEKEND. one of the guys at the club use to buy and sell gun's and gun related items a few years ago. he said do you know what the difference is beteen a tournament shooter and a league shooter? I said tell me. he said when i owned my store, a tournament shooter would come in, drop anywhere from $300.00 to 1,500.00 for supplies. they would purchase tournament guns, they would ask what is your best price and pay it. he said on the other hand a league shooter would come in and spend an hour deciding to purchase a $5.00 swievel. i said what about purchasing reloaders, supplies , gun clothing, etc? he said get serious, most league shooters don't spend money compared to tournament shooters. he said look at the guns most use. i told him i did not agree with his anology, and he said did you ever own a gun store? i said no. he said enough said! before he left i told him you can't paint an entire group with one blanket statement. i said i know lots of league shooters that would kick our buts in competition, have plenty of cash, but for some unknown reason they don't shoot tournament targets. as he walked away, he mumbled, they are a different breed. what do you think about his comments?
    steve balistreri

2. senior smoke

i forgot to mention, as he was walking away i told him, league shooters are the back bone to any gun club. he didn't say anything, just walked away.
    steve

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

He is probably right, and you are probably right. League shooters will usually, if possible, pool together and buy their reloading supplies fron someone that deals direct with the club. Possibly a supplier of clay birds that also sells reloading supplies. That would make him right.
    These same shooters are most likely the backbone of a trap club since their funds pay for the normal operating costs in a large part. This makes you right. Bulge.

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Check you PM senior smoke.............

5. DJSims

DJSims Member

I used to think that the Leagues were the training ground for ATA registered shooting, but found that was not the case. Yes, I began by shooting league, and got into ATA soon after, but other league shooters just like the comradarie of an evening away from home with a beer after shooting.

The league shooter may not shoot enough that reloading is even a concern.

Doug Sims

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Steve,

Maybe the reason that "league shooters" didn't buy much from that guy, could have been that his prices were too high or he was just a jerk, or both. Many of the shooters around here shoot both, spend money, and have a good time either way. Some shooters are just cheap, er ah, "frugal", no matter what they shoot. Many shooters have families and bills to pay. Shooting takes a back seat to food and shelter, so they try to get the most "bang" for the buck.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think the league shooter is much more into the fun aspect of trapshooting as opposed to competition...I for one enjoy leagues better

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If its not fun why do it. From what I have seen, leagues that are held @ non ATA participating clubs are just little cliques, of people who are willing to accept second or third rate shooting for personal convenience. They are no longer willing to participate in ATA registerd events for various excuses: distance, expense & the biggest one is all we want to do is just have fun. I guess all the people who go the Grand, Stae & Zone shoots don't have fun.

Phil Berkowitz

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've always said I enjoyed leagues more than registered shooting and when my eye problem forced me to stop shooting registered in 2006,I honestly thought I would go back to it in three to five years. I figured that's how long it would take for the eye to improve or me to accept that my shooting vision is as good as it's going to get. But now that my eye either has improved or I've learned to shoot with the condition, I can say that I will likely never get back into registered shooting to the extend I formerly was, if at all.

During the past three years, I discovered that I have a wife AND two grown children - when did that happen? I found fishing reels that needed new line and needed that line exposed to water now and then. I don't know how they got there but my gun safe was filled with rifles with dust in their bores. Local farmers have groundhogs, doves and deer they want killed off. Two of the best-known sprint car tracks in the country are nearby and both were willing to PAY ME to inspect the cars for safe construction, proper safety equipment, compliance with the rules and perform post-race technical inspections. Through those part-time endeavors, I got to spend a couple of days with two of NAPCAR's few REAL race car drivers, Kasey Kahne and Tony Stewart. And now when I go to a club to shoot trap (which I do two to three times a week), I can shoot 100 targets for $12 (practice) or $20 (league), exchange some lies with my friends and go home to the above in a couple of hours.

By comparison, registered trapshooting seems like work that I have to pay someone else to let me do.

Ed

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shoot at my local club every weekend all year long excepting for the 7-8 registered shoots I attend. Of course I am not worth a crap either.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I do both and often wonder why so many shooters choose to never shoot ATA. True, ATA entry fees are a few dollars more, but not that much higher. I suspect for most people league shoots are closer to home resulting in less time and expense traveling.

Our local leagues (central MD) are limited to 50 targets a shot--25 16s and 25 hcp. While I enjoy these events they always leave me wanting more--not all do however.

There is some aversion to shooting ATA for many and I really don't understand it. Regardless of the sponsor of a shoot the only competition should be with yourself. I seem to do better when shooting the large shoots--I guess I take them more seriously and concentrate that much more.

I really like shooting with my squad in the leagues… they're friends who got me into this great sport. They are all seasoned veterans, but none shoot ATA anymore. That doesn’t matter. They seem to enjoy my progress and enthusiastically congratulate me when I do well at a big shoot.

Different breed? I think not, just different places in their shooting needs.

Guy Babin

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

There are several leagues in my area. I do not think league shooters are cheap. There are are a lot of Ljutics, K-80s, Kolars & Perazzis at league shoots and some of these guys really know how to use them. If you want to see new AA & STS empties on the ground, watch the league shooters. I am Secretary/Treasurer of a league that shoots from Sept thru May and know from experience that league shooters will show up, no matter what Mother Nature throws at us. I also shoot ATA and would not dream of taking my gun out in some of our winter weather to shoot registered targets. I also agree that league/practice shooters keep most clubs in the black. Larry Evans

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just enjoy the sport and shoot. Stop thinking about "them" versus "us" and you will be a lot happier.

14. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

If the store owner had a problem with league shooters coming in and spending an hour deciding to purchase a $5.00 swievel then perhaps he should post a sign that they are not welcome or they should not spend time deciding what to purchase. I have a feeling he will not be willing to do that!

Many times I will spend considerable time in a store browsing around and enjoying the stuff that is displayed. Perhaps have coffee (in Cabelas or BassPro), look at all the wonderful stuffed trophies, enjoy the fish in the tank, etc. Maybe I will pickup something that I really like or is on sale but then many times I have walked out without buying anything. If anyone has a problem with it, they sure haven't let me know.

15. senior smoke

remember what rodney king once said. it would be nice for an ATA shooter to invite a league shooter to shoot ATA tournaments. would be a nice jesture to even pay for his or her first ATA membership. it would also be a good thing for ATA shooters to join a league when ATA season ends. it would help the area gun clubs out, the ATA, and bring in more shooters over all. few suggestions, have the ATA waive the first year of tournament shooting for anyone who is presently a league shooter but has never shot ATA targets? here's a thought, have a non registered tournament, ATA shooters vs. league shooters. the winners join either the ATA or join a league.
    steve

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to have an attitude toward "club shooters" that I now find terrible. I thought that any trapshooter who did not join the ATA and participate in registered shoots was not a serious trapshooter. I think I even said that in public a few times. I also criticized winter league shooters for missing a Saturday's shoot to go deer hunting. I'm now ashamed of myself for both.

Several years ago, I was running the registered shoots at a local club and along with the rest of the help, was waiting out a rainy morning until the entries closed at noon and we could go home. A shooter who I have always considered a friend asked a question that at the time seemed ludicrous to me. He asked, "These ATA shooters use the same shells to shoot at the same targets under the same rules as we do on Thursday evenings (for practice and leagues) - why should I pay the extra money to shoot at 'registered' targets on Sundays?" The club's trap chairman at the time, also a friend and also not an ATA member, responded. He pointed at the Trap & Field magazines on sale at the sign-up desk and said, "I guess so they can see their name in the magazine if they do well."

At that time, I can remember being appalled by both the question and the answer. So I chimed in with points about the travel to and from shoots with buddies, shooting with them at the shoot and the challenge of stiffer competition. It was quickly pointed out to me that they traveled to and from league shoots together, enjoyed shooting together at the shoot and shot against men and women with 98+ averages. I really didn't have a good response to that and was trying to think of one when another person said, "It sounds like all that extra money gets you is a trophy no one really wants and someone keeping track of your scores for you." That REALLY shut me up because even though I am an ATA life member and was enjoying some success at registered shoots back then, I agreed with him to some extent.

Now, I've come around to their way of thinking a little. There really is more in life for those of us with families and other interests than spending entire days, often in succession, at a gun club. But if that's what the recreational time in your life revolves around, and I have several friends in that category, ATA shooting is great.

Ed

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Our league shooters may not spend as much money at the club as the registered shooters do, generally there are just 100 targets for a league day. But these folks are the heart of our club, they are the locals who pitch in and help when ever asked. Need a tractor? Just ask. Need an electrician? There's a couple of them over there, just ask, they are more than happy to help. Their world may not revolve around how much their shotguns cost or whether they have the perfect ammo but they do like to shoot and have a good time with their buddies. Can't imagine the club without them. They aren't a different breed, they are the 'normal' ones.

18. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I agree with Recurvy and Guy Babin in their posts. Guy's post could be mine other than I am in North Texas.

We need to find how we as shooters are alike not different. We need to enjoy our sport and spend money to protect the rights to continue to own and shoot firearms.

I don't have much time for whiners and complainers in my life.

HBT

19. senior smoke

wolfram:
    what you say has alot of truth in it. because of my job situation and recovering from illness, my ATA shooting has been little this target year. i have been shooting anywhere from 25 to 100 targets per weekend. because i have not shot in a league since 1976, i forgot exactly what you said. i am considering joining a league again. most of my friends are ATA shooters, shooting league will be like starting over again. i plan to shoot both in the future.
    steve

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Well Practice in my area is $4.25 for the closest club (45 miles) that is $17 dollars a 100 plus shells . Registerd last night was $38.00 bucks for 200 targets fees and all plus shells . That is two bucks more per 100 .

If I shoot practice the targets may be fair to real bad never as good as registerd (different club) . Also I will be shooting practice with kids and hunters and gun saftey is questionable at best .

In my area I have never in 40 years seen a league been shot at any club . so for me it,s registerd Practice or games . I,v never felt safe with 25 guys on the line so games are out .

Most clubs around here shoot registerd as is the only way to pay the bills

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.