1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

League Rule

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shark, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shark

Shark TS Member

Just wondering if any you have the "perfect league rules" Currently our club has three to four leagues a year, Spring, Summer, Fall , and Winter. Our biggest league is typically the spring league with shooters falling into 4 classes based upon shooting ability. Shooter are then handicaped based upon their hanicap scores with each class having a maximum yardage. The problem we have is that 1 team typically wins class A there maximum hdcp yardage is 27 most of the shooter on this team are AA/27 ATA shooters.(kind of like ATA shooting the best shooters win)We have expiermented with various methods of allowing shooters to shoot ahead so they can bank scores in the event they miss a week. We have penalized those shooting ahead by deducting targets or moving back 2 yards past the classes max yardage. Problems with both is 1. we penalize shooters who have plans and must miss a week.2. shooters who are on the 27 yd line never receive any penalty.

Any Ideas or have a great set of league rules your club uses???

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"We have penalized those shooting ahead by deducting targets or moving back 2 yards past the classes max yardage. Problems with both is 1. we penalize shooters who have plans and must miss a week"

Kind of sounds to me like if one shoots the league you are talking about. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I have shot a lot of leagues Trap, Archery, and Handgun leagues with in the club. Have never been penalized for shooting ahead always for not being there. As you can't very well shoot after the others have shot. That might be a sandbaggers Paradise.

The best was the Archery league if you didn't show for what ever reason the team got 90% of your average score. Well that didn't hurt your team very much if you were a low average shooter but if you were a high average shooter 10% of your score could break the team.

Also the teams were made up of a high average shooter and various other averages we didn't put classes together. So if your team started the league with a low average shooter that made a big improvement the team usually did well.

Bob Lawless

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Team of 5 shoots from 16 yards.

Their score from the 16 yard line is summed, then divided by 5.

Add 2 to that number.

The team shoots from that yard line, but nobody shoots from closer than the 20 yard line, regardless of their 16-yard score.

This keeps everybody "handicapped" every night of league.

League standings and champions are by team, not individual.

4. Shark

Shark TS Member

Thanks for the replies. The crux of the problem is the "loaded" team is some times accused of shooting ahead on blue bell days to bank scores for a later date when the weather may be worse. As you know it's no problem for regular ATA shooter to shoot a 100 targets in a night whereas the league shooter may not be able or want to shoot a 100 targets in a night. I agree that it doesn't make sense not to allow shooting aheas as life happens and we just sometimes need to shoot ahead. In a very competitive class a target penalty may make the difference of winning or losing. I should have stated in my earlier post that the number of classes we have is dependant on the number of teams. Ertz I haven't had a chance to check out the league software but will do so soon. I'll also add that I'm on the loaded team and shoot primarly for the practice but do have to travel several times in the course of a 10 week league as do others. As for breaking up the team it's guys I've shot ata usually as a squad and league for years. Thanks again i'll check back

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

We allow 2 shoot aheads on the books at anyone time.

Have not followed our trap league that much even though I shoot ATA birds

If you are worried about shoot aheads on bluebird days so you have outlawed shoot aheads,

Why not handicap the weather? say 1 thru 9, this may take a "weather station" set up, I just looked at one site, low price unit of $22.00 hand held up to almost $400.00 that can be mounted.

That blue bird day takes away birds and adds yardage while bad winds, high temps and percepation might add birds or no yardage change.

You might find that shooters look for those days, the type of where everyone would have had something bad to say about the weather is when everyone shows up with extra shells and wants to put a shoot ahead on the books, could lead to some lively discussions about how bad a day it takes to even out the field.

Al

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be allowed to bank scores you shoot one ahead when it is used you can shoot another. We also shot a league on a week night if you shot a score ahead it had to be shot at night not during the day light.

Bob Lawless

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Shark, we do a handicap system. The score the team shoots from the 16 is taken and each team is spoted enough birds to get their score back to 125(5x25). Then a team that had a perfect score (125) would have to spot a team that averages 22(22x5) 15 birds. Also for handicap we add 3 yards to the team average, so if you shoot a 22, you shoot handicap from the 25. We then use a 3 point system, 1 point for the 16, 1 point for the handicap and 1 point for total birds. I am not saying this is fair or the best way, but you could maybe have only two or three classes based on the 16yd scores. John

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

My opinion is that your handicap system isn't working. The purpose of the handicap is to level the playing field. Take the winning team from each class (if you use classes) ( best 5 shooter on that team) and determine the average raw score shot the for the league by this team. Use this as the max handicap for the following season. So if the A class team averaged 24.6 then use this as the max handicap for the next season. You can calculate this for each class or for computation purposes use this for all classes. Arbitrary numbers 24, 24.5, 23.5 etc doesn't accurately handicap and frankly protects the really good teams

Regards

W&W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.