1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What leads should I be giving targets in doubles from each station?

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Are you using a sustained lead, pull ahead, or swing thru method? How fast is your reaction time?

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Approx. the same as a singles target...don't make it difficult.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of leads as specific distances in front of the target you are going to have a hard time with the game of doubles. You really don't want that kind of junk floating around in your mind when shooting, especially when you need to shoot quickly.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Then how should I be thinking about it? I've only shot doubles once but I think that this is the main cause of my misses.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The comparative example I like is to point your finger at a moving car. When you do this normally without really thinking about it the finger goes right to the car and stays with it. You aren't looking at the end of your finger trying to line anything up. Now pretend your finger is a shotgun, point at another car and when you are on it, bang. What you had was a target picture and when it looked right you shot. Same with real shotgunning.

When shooting doubles trap both targets need to be shot with a moving gun. The second target is usually more difficult because it is farther away and if you have wasted time with mental calculations on lead confirmed with some bead checking you will have a falling target by the time you do shoot. All of a sudden this becomes a trick shot of sorts that you really can't duplicate with any regularity. If you get all of that junk out of your head and just look at the target your gun will follow your eyes in an instinctive manner. The correct target picture will quickly be committed to memory and pretty soon you will smoking targets regularly. They key here is that the bead on the end of your shotgun barrel is not the focus of your target picture.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

About two - maybe a bit more - feet ahead of the angle one when you are on one or five.

Just ahead - a foot at most - of the angle one when you are on two or four.

Right at the second bird on three. Even a bit behind it breaks a lot of targets.

Assuming you are making the appropriate vertical adjustment as well which may add "and over" or "and under" to the above recommendations.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.