1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Question to ponder?

.....does the shot swarm go downrange in a straight line horizontally relative to the bore line at the instant the shot column exited the muzzle? Or....does a rapid swing of the gun impart a horizontal momentum to the shot swarm causing it to curve in the direction of the swing?

Got me thinking about this, was shooting doubles this last weekend and on the first trap after running posts 1 & 2 I got too careful I guess and started measuring my lead on post three......missed 4 out'a five second targets for a "6", then did the same on post 4 for another "6", then just let instinct take over and ran post 5 for 42 x 50.

So on the second trap I figured "what the hell, just turn off all higher brain function and let it happen, like "let it ALL hang out"..........now even when you're not conciously measuring the lead you have a semi-subconcious perception of when you dropped the hammer and when the gun went "bang" and I could swear I was waaaaay behind the targets when I fired but the targets were breaking for a 47 x 50. So is it all just a fast swing over to the second target vs slow reaction/lock time thing or is there something else at work here? ....like horizontal momentum of the gun while the shot column is traveling down the barrel causing the shot to go in a curved trajectory after it exits the muzzle?

John C. Saubak

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello John,

I watched Gil Ash make a demonstration into a pond with steel shot. This was a reply to a question about " can a person sling shot across the target path ? "

He first fired without moving the barrel & you could see the circle the shot made. Now he says I am going to swing the barrel as fast as I can & see if
    we can sling shot in an arc, just like water out the end of a garden hose.

Both results were the same, he was saying that the shot is moving at 800 mph & that you are not going to be able to sling shot in an arc.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank you, that answers my question.

John C. Saubak

4. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I would think it't no different than trying to curve a bullet, by swinging your arm. Impossible. The shot is just coming out way to fast for any move in your arm to make a difference.

5. Ken@clairton

Ken@clairton TS Member

The shot is in the wad when it leaves the barrel. The shot separates from the wad some distance from the end of the barrel. Maybe if there was no wad and the shot string formed in the barrel it would be possible to sling the shot.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Here is the video.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I would think it't no different than trying to curve a bullet, by swinging your arm. Impossible.</I></blockquote>Hey... I saw Angelina Jolie do that in <I>Wanted</I>; it's gotta be possible!

Keller