1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead wheel weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tatersaled, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Anyone making shoot out of wheel weights, and if so what are you paying for a 5 gallon bucket of scrap at the tire shop?

2. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

I’ve melted down about 1000lbs in the last few months and have about 1000 more to go this winter. I picked up a few buckets around town this week for $15

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The price should really come down when the lead wheel weight ban takes effect. HMB

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Watch out for the zinc ones mixed in those cheap buckets. Here in Toledo OH area the scrap yards were only paying about ten cents a pound for wheel weights a couple of weeks ago and fifteen for pure lead. JMHO but I would think the price of scrap wheel weights at the tire shops will go up as the complete ban approaches. The old supply and demand thing. Bill

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I am saving all my wheel weights and pure lead to make center fire bullets.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am buying lead for.07 cents a pound, it is good lead and whell weight lead.
    As much as he gets. Right from scrap dealer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Are cast handgun bullets typically made of hardened lead, say as hard as wheel weights? I have 175 pounds of soft lead and would like to harden it up for shot making.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Wireguy, Tire weights will only come to about 12 BN, hard cast bullets will usually run 20+ BN. IF you heat treat the tire weight cast bullets by quenching in cold water when their heated to about 500 deg. you can get the 20 BN.

9. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I believe the receipe for Lyman #2/ Hardball is, and I am not positive without looking it up. 9 or 10 pounds of wheelweights to 1 pound of 50/50 solder.That is recepie Mike Venturino mentioned in an article once. The tin adds flowability and some more hardness to the alloy. Pure linotype is maybe 10 on the scale and it is more than hard enough for 1200 FPS. I don't plan on making bullets for 3000 FPS. Okay I got out the Saeco harness tester and the chart in with it says.
    Pure lead= BHN 3-5 Saeco 0
    Wheel Weights = BHN 9 Saeco 6
    1:20 Tin/Lead= BHN 10 Saeco 6-7
    Taracorp Magnum Lyman #2
    1:1 Lead/Linotype= BHN 15 Saeco 8-9
    Linotype BHN 22 Saeco 10
    Monotype BHN 27-28 Saeco 10

From the Midway USA catalog:
    Hardball is 2% Tin,6% Antimony,92% lead
    Linotype is 4% Tin, 12% Antimony, 84% Lead

Go to "http://www.theantimonyman.com/thermometry.htm " for some more good info. So in answer to the question about hardening up some soft lead, Linotype would be what to use or maybe the right mix of some wheel weights by doing the math.Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

toledo wheel weight scrap