1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead wheel weights being banned?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

Buddy who owns a semi trailer repair business informed me that the Feds sent him notification that lead wheel weights will be banned shortly. True? Are the home made shot makers worried?

Len

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Here is what I found...

September 9, 2009, 8:23 am
    E.P.A. to Ban Lead Tire Weights
    By JIM MOTAVALLI
    It’s no secret that cars pollute the environment, but not all of that pollution comes out of the tailpipe. The Environmental Protection Agency says 2,000 tons of lead tire weights — used in wheel balancing — are “lost from vehicles and ultimately end up in the environment each year.” Exposure to lead, the E.P.A. said, has a variety of health effects, including brain and nervous system disorders, high blood pressure, reproductive problems and hypertension.

Recently, the E.P.A. reversed previous decisions and agreed to follow Europe’s lead and seek to ban the manufacture and distribution of lead tire weights.

It’s been a long haul. The E.P.A.’s action was in response to a 2009 petition from the Ecology Center, the Sierra Club and other groups. Four years ago, the federal agency, then led by Stephen Johnson, a George W. Bush appointee, rejected a similar request.

“Over the last few years, we’ve gained more information on the effect of lead tire weights in the environment,” said Steve Owens, an assistant E.P.A. administrator. “Also, a number of states have moved to ban these weights, so there’s clearly rising concern.” State bans on lead tire weights have been passed in Washington State, Vermont and Maine, and others were pending, the Ecology Center said, but a national ban would make those efforts moot.

“We requested that the weights be phased-out by 2011, and we think that is feasible,” Jeff Gearhart, research director at the Ecology Center and a longtime campaigner against lead weights. He called lead tire weights “the largest ongoing unregulated release of lead into the environment,” and said a rule-making process could take six to 12 months.

In a press release from the environmental groups, Tom Neltner of the Sierra Club says that lead gets into the environment when “cars and trucks grind the wheel weights into a powder that spreads into the neighborhoods along our busy streets.”

Ironically, most automakers and North American manufacturers of lead weights are not opposing the ban, Mr. Gearhart said. American automakers have largely switched to coated steel weights for new cars, so the ban will largely affect tire shops, garages and aftermarket suppliers. Without a ban, some weight companies say they are reluctant to voluntarily switch to steel because Asian suppliers could then undercut them by offering cheaper lead weights.

According to Mark Aiken, vice president of sales and marketing at Canadian weight manufacturer Plombco, 90 to 95 percent of its present business is in lead weights. But he said that the company has been making lead alternatives for six years. “We have the capacity to completely switch to steel weights if required,” he said. According to Mr. Aiken, zinc weights are widely used in Europe, but American automakers are trending toward steel alternatives. Steel is lighter, so the new weights are slightly thicker and bulkier than lead (and also more expensive).

Tire retailers that had already agreed to phase out lead wheel weights by 2011 include Wal-Mart and Costco. Kory Lundberg, a Wal-Mart spokesman, said that the company has already stopped ordering lead weights, and is phasing in steel replacements. “We thought it was the right thing to do,” he said.

According to a spokesman, Patrick Langsjoen, the United States Postal Service this year said it would get the lead out of its national fleet of 215,000 under-two-ton delivery vehicles, following the success of pilot programs in the western United States Environmental benefits, he said, were “augmented by employee support for the initiative.”

One opponent of lead bans is the London-based International Lead Association, which says in an online fact sheet that “lead is a sustainable commodity when produced, used and recycled in a responsible manner. Efforts to restrict or even ban its use are not backed up by sound scientific evidence, but rather based on emotive comment and misguided public perception.”

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

It is now impossible to get lead wheel weights here in Vermont. Once my stash is used up for casting, I don't really know what I'll do. Getting range lead is extremely tedious and then the smelting is a pain.

cap

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I think banning lead wheel weights is a big HALF-ASSED idea. I don't recall ever finding even ONE wheel weight on the highway. The statement by the EPA is pure Bullshit. Their idea of 2000 tons of wheel weights getting into the environment is equal to just over one pound of lead per square mile of the US. ( (2000 tons x 2000 lbs= 4000000 lbs of lead) this is about 2/100ths of a pound per acre. Not even close to taking shots at a Deer , Duck, Pheasant, etc. The US is about 3-1/2 million square miles in area. If these laws get passed, you can kiss your lead shotshells goodbye soon after. A better idea would be to get the Chinese to not put lead in our children's toys. Larry Evans

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The whole lead scare is pure BS and it doesn't matter what form it takes. They've banned ATVs for children because the child could get lead poisoning from the battery. Do you let your child lick the battery? I don't. They've banned lead weights and I don't remember eating any of them either. I had lead paint on my stuff when I was little and I'm not dead yet.

Don't you find it interesting that we ban bullets, sinkers and wheel weights (none of which has been proven to harm a single individual), but we haven't banned toys from China?

It's all about the money. The wheel weight thing is just another attempt to get small businesses to buy different, more expensive stuff.

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

We need top Ban politicians, EPA, Pita , gun control advocates and many others.. They breath in good air and polute it everytime thay open their mouths with BS and other other things that hurt the environment, small business and the general welfare of the American people.
    Is there a single case of lead poisoning from wheel weights, lead shot or sinkers??

7. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Here's a thought! Will the reduction of lead use for wheel weights lower the demand for lead and reduce the price that we pay?

Ed

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"Here's a thought! Will the reduction of lead use for wheel weights lower the demand for lead and reduce the price that we pay?"

Probably not enough to be significant.
    Every one of my vehicles has about 5 oz. of lead wheel weights in it.
    Every one has about 13 lbs of lead in its battery.
    Wheel weights are insignificant to the big picture.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The EPA is not a bad organization. They've just made a bad move on this particular subject.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yet another blown out of proportion, hysterical, unneeded government ban.

The ultimate goal is a ban on all lead. The water just got turned up a little more on the frog.

11. 25deadbirds

25deadbirds TS Member

What's worse, is some of the other alternatives to lead; tungsten, zinc and other heavy metals are more expensive. So not only will we be paying to get rid of lead, but what replaces it, will cost us more too.

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: The EPA is not a bad organization.

U.S. Air Quality Standards for Lead Now 10 Times Stronger

Release date: 10/16/2008

(Washington, D.C. – Oct. 16, 2008) EPA dramatically strengthened the nation's air quality standards for lead, improving public health protection, especially for children. The new standards tighten the allowable lead level 10 times to 0.15 micrograms of lead per cubic meter of air (ug/m3).

"No later than October 2011, EPA will designate areas that must take additional steps to reduce lead air emissions. States have five years to meet these new standards after designations take effect."

-----

I will be surprised if indoor ranges don't take a hit come October. Hope I'm wrong...

If a member run club with an indoor range, I would not spend a cent on upgrades until after the new standards are released to see if indoor ranges are included and maximum lead levels lowered.

13. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Your all a bunch of dumbasses. You let this happen because they say they are going to do it. Well they said that about duck hunting. Well not me. I still use lead for humane kills. I'll use it any dam time I want to.

If we got a cockamamie dimwitted screwball for a president the we can't see his birth cert. and his college papers are sealed so we can't see them. He can break the law and constitution and get away with it then I'll be damn if I am taking any more bullshit from these stupidass politations.
    Ignore any of that bullshit. The Feds and the Presi. ignore Arizona, Texas and New Mexcio. I call that ingnoring the law.

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I was a teenager when Nixon gave us the EPA and ESA(endangered species act) It was all about trying to calm down the pregressives rioting on the college campus's.

Almost all the weak kneed politions said later that they had wished they hadn't done what they did.

OK Repub's and Tea baggers get off your duffs and repeal the ESA and rid us of the EPA!

CNN I remember being called "Clintons Network News" commies in general!

FYI: the USFW service was in the begining opposed to banning lead shot, but people retired and new people (eco-freaks) were put in their place and eventually the USFW became "FOR" banning lead. Just like you'll find that most members of the USFS "employee union" are greenies and oppose all forms of logging!

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

yea and try to buy some lead base paint to paint the baby's room. How bout leaded gas you say it's not going to happen OK need to find a sand pit

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

How many jobs are going to be lost by banning lead?

Just another reason to say to any progressive, Well done comrade, Karl would be pleased with you!!

17. len loma

len loma TS Member

I imagine there is going to be a lead wheel weight shortage in a year or two. Right now it is competitive aquiring lead wheel weights in my area of Wisconsin.

Len

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder how depleted uranium shot would work?

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

what a load of

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead wheel weights banned

lead wheel weights banned in uk