1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead up $5.00 a bag

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Stopped at G.U in omaha today shot was up $5.00 a bag from monday now $33.50 on 5 bags $34.00 on single bag.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Price of lead keeps going up. $1.12 a pound today. HMB

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I went out and bought a ton of shot yesterday. 25 a bag. New, redropped. I don't see it going down anytime soon either. Jim

4. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Gamaliel now has it at $37 a bag for lawrence magnum on their website.

I'm glad we stocked up last week before the $5 bump!

TNCoach

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I'll take all I can get of the $5 shot.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It's gonna get ugly real soon!!

7. superump

superump TS Member

Out here in the midwest a local gun shop had shot for $29.99 a bag and it went up three dollars a bag to $32.99 this last Monday. Our other local shop is getting $38.99 a bag 25 lb bags of 7 1/2 or 8.

8. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

If Eagle shot is $34 a bag and West Coast is $38 a bag, I'm buying the latter. Neil

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

So what is driving the price up and why do you see this as a continuing trend and not normal fluctuation in prices?
    dju

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

dju, my take is that the war effort is using up a lot of lead. Governments could be stock piling lead along with gold these days. You need a lot of lead to hold onto your gold. Ya know? Jim

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<EM>"my take is that the war effort is using up a lot of lead"</EM>.......

RIGHT....just keep believing that nonsense....we have like 1 lead mine/producer in the US, and it's on the verge of being closed, and millions of speculators world wide.

WE ain't shootin gold bullets, but the price of gold is up, look at the price of corn..

We have been lied to about inflation being zip, these prices we are seeing are just the calm before the storm. Inflation is inevitable. Too many Americans keep thinking that they can survive on yesterdays money and the way it used to be......good luck.

Every day the Chinese and the Indians buy up our debt, we're printing money, and that means the prices have to go up....when you see a price increase it's because your dollar value dropped.

The European gun enthusiasts are in heaven right now.....why......because the EURO has value. One only has to look to Canada, where their dollar is now worth almost as much as ours. All it's gonna take is for that first domino to fall.

12. slodsm

slodsm Member

A few more bucks for a bag of shot and its not going to be worth it to reload anymore for me.....

221, I am inclined to agree with your assessment as well....

13. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

Got Remington Gun Club from Dicks for 4.98 a box

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its simple, any time the government sets it mind to something they never let go!

Between mining regs, EPA assessment about lead, and China still taking every mineral resourse they can get their hands on, PRICE will alway be going UP.

Military has already gone to "green" bullets, saving approx. 200,000 tons of lead. It was on the news last month.

That savings is probaly on its way to China, not to US!

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In Italy on the trap ranges they have a 45 degree angle screen in the shot drop zone. The shot hits the screen, runs down into a rain gutter and flows into a bucket. They recover 96 percent of the shot and it is ready to reload. To bad we are not smart enough to do the same. HMB

16. davidjayuden

"Oh and just an FYI. New shot will go up again within the next 2 weeks. "
    OK Terry, what is your take on the price going up? The military isn't using more than 6 months ago. New EPA regs. have not just kicked in. So is there an ominous reason that lead is going up and why it will not come back down in the near future?
    Last time I was at GU Winchester 209's were up to $34 or so, more than the STS. Is this also a sign of things to come or simply the normal ebb and flow the free market at work?
    dju

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Its really is simple when Gold goes up lead also goes up all you need to do is watch the commodities market every time gold goes up lead goes up.

Unfortunately it never goes back down I remember buying lead for $5.00 to $6.00 a bag then the market(Gold)went up and lead went up to $25.00 or more a bag. After 20 plus years it got back down to $12-13 a bag now look where it is. Cheer up it will never be back to $12-13 a bag you will be lucky this time if it ever comes back down below $25 a bag.

Bob Lawless

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<EM>"LEAD ACID BATTERIES"</EM>....and.....6.9 Billion people. It's really no big mystery. 85-90% of our lead production goes into batteries.

19. davidjayuden

Interesting thread...
    Still not sure just why lead and gold prices are intertwined, but it may be the same as the stock market; rising tides lift all boats.
    dju

20. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Commodities are dollar denominated. When the dollar is weak(against other currencies) it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of any commodity. The stockpile of lead is up yet the price defies demand and supply--it is the dollar. The dollar strengthened in June(which drove lead prices down) due to a rush to safety when Greece, Portugal and Ireland were on the brink of defaulting on their debt(those currencies were sold and dollars purchased to pay for US securities--esp. treasuries). The US Treasury has the authority to intervein on the dollar's exchange rate. A weak dollar makes US goods and services cheap which is good for exports and, thus, stimulates our economy. Don't look for intervention to strengthen the dollar; look for another rush to the dollar as a safe haven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.