1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead took a dive today !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warpspeed, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Spot Lead started the day @ 0.96 / lb and ended @ 0.88.

The last 30 days, Lead has been at a high of 1.23 and now a low of 0.88.

Today was not a good day for any commodities.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pity the price of ammo won't drop as fast as it went up.

3. Franktri

Franktri Member

Let's see how long it'll take for the price for shot to go down, IF AT ALL!!

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Remember, they have to get rid of the high priced lead first before they get to selling the low cost lead. It all depends now on how much they have at hand and how much is out in the market and or pipe line.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, I thought the price always went up in the fall ("car batteries" 'n stuff)?

Maybe the shipment from our local scrap yard finally hit the market, they were paying $0.10 a pound for "soft lead" and $0.03 for wheeel weights. LOL

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is only temporary

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

It is only the end of the day. It was only a 8cent drop. I wished I could buy wheel weights that cheap too. I bought 2000 pounds over this summer at anywhere from 30 to 50cents a pound.

Jerry Lewis

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Price change??? I'd be expecting years if ever. Once prices go up and the marks, I mean consumers, get burned into that, materials prices have little effect on product prices. Unless of course there is opportunity to screw the marks, I mean consumers, more. Especially in a niche market like shooters who have NO alternatives to speak of..

I call your attention to gas prices and the profit margins by big oil and how is it that they can have historical high profits of mind boggling levels and at the same time the marks, I mean consumers, are paying somewhere between bent-over-to-the-max and almost-bent-over-to-the-max prices. And of course that doesn't count the tax-subsidies that the marks, I mean consumers, are covering for big oil at the same time.

good luck on that price fall

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Remember, they have to get rid of the high priced lead first before they get to selling the low cost lead. It all depends now on how much they have at hand and how much is out in the market and or pipe line. </l>

Ammo jumped up before the lower priced lead was used up.

We're simply being gouged one way or another.

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The only reason the price of lead came down is because it is priced in dollars and the dollar got much stronger this past week. Wih Obama and Bernanke printing money as fast as they can load the ink in the presses it won't be this way for very long. JRM

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

Well one plus here in Northern NY is that one of our convience store chains dropped the price of gas a dime yesterday, all the down to 3.649.

ctreay

12. Donm

Donm Active Member

The dollar is up but also look at the supply of lead. It is the hightest it has ever been.
    Just remember when the price of wholsale unleaded goes up it is up the next day at the pump. When the wholsale price goes down it takes weeks and never ends up down the same as wholesale. Like when it goes up 10 cents wholesale the pump price goes up 11 or 12 in about one to two days. When it comes down 10 cents wholesale it comes down about 8 to 9 cents in a couple of weeks.

13. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

The financial turmoil in Europe caused a flight to the dollar as a safe haven: thus the dollar went up. In addition the world economic slow-down as predicted by the IMF, sent all commodity prices down.

Doc

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Most commodities - lead, oil or gold - are priced by speculators.

Notice the oil produced in N. Dakota is now being trucked to refineries in Louisiana to sell at the price of imported oil rather than prices paid for domestic production.

Buy paper. They need it to produce more dollars.
    bigheap_2008_030346.jpg

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

The drop to 88 cents did catch my eye, but so did the local gas station that had the balls to lower their price from $3.76.9 all the way down to $3.75.9 per gallon this weekend. Now that's some real HOPE & CHANGE for 'ya!

JR

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I bought gas for 3.19 yesterday it was 3.60 or so I couldn't believe it dropped that much

Foggy

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Shot prices have gone down in the past.

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

Foggy where you at? I might bring my trailer and drums to fill. Here in Wi it finally got down to $3.47. Aren't state taxes wonderful. When does the winter blend come in. In spring the price goes up a dime a gallon when the summer blend takes effect. Why don't it go down a dime in the fall?

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

"Remember, they have to get rid of the high priced lead first before they get to selling the low cost lead."

Why? And how do they know which is the high priced lead? Does it look different?

20. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

2 weeks later, it is at 0.89. ( 0.8876 to be exact )

2 weeks it has spent bumping up and down a penny or 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.