1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead to Steel Conversion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Conversion for what?

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I can tell you from experience you need to go up 2-21/2 sizes in shot or 500 fps to see the same results at typical 16 yard range targets. If you shoot 8's 6's will work about the same.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No,

Lead shot and steel shot are the same size.

What gun fitter is trying to say is to maintain similar downrange energy, you have to use larger steel shot than you would use for lead shot, or use faster muzzle velocities.

Example:

If you use 1-1/8 ounces of number 8 lead shot for your trap loads, and you want similar performance, you'd use 1-1/8 ounces of number 6 steel shot.

Alternatively, you'd bump the speed up a bunch.

Some of the guys who regularly post here shoot at Naperville IL gun club, which now has a mandatory steel shot rule. Can't use lead.

You might search on older threads, but as I recall, they report good performance for trap shooting using number 7 steel shot, even for handicap.

Not sure what muzzle velocity they're using.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Probably 1 oz @ around 1550fps.

Joe

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There the same size a 6 = 6 7=7 8=8 the weight is different.

the post above MI bad. I forgot to mention that 6's are not legal for ATA trap.

We did quite a bit of testing of steel several years ago when some of the properties that we hold field trials on went to steel shot olny. Our testing was primarly on live birds pigeons and a few targets.

I hope this helps

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

DanFam...

Lets step back for a moment - why do you need to convert lead to steel?!

There are any number of studies relating to the comparability of lead to steel from pellet energy to choke etc... The question is what will you be using steel for - targets or hunting?

The ATA limits steel to #7s - doesn't matter if #7 are equivalent, that's the largest pellet size allowable. As far as buying steel loads - #7 steel are typically the smallest size steel you'll find commercially available, unless you choose to purchase in bulk from a vendor and reload.

#6 Steel shot is the same size as #6 Lead shot, but it has 2/3 the weight - that is the issue. #7 Steel is a touch larger than 7.5 Lead, but there is no 7.5 Steel to my understanding.

Ideally, one would like to bump up at least one, possibly two shot sizes to equate to the pellet energy of Lead (#7 Steel v. 81/2 Lead; #6/6.5 Steel v. #8 Lead), but depending upon your discipline (hunting, trap, skeet etc...) that may not be possible or practical.

From my Club's extensive "real world" experience, we seem to get the job done with #7 Steel from 16-60 yards loaded from 1100-1325 FPS.

Do a search, you'll find previous posts and references to recent articles that provide much of the information you're looking for. If you want other specific information, you may contact me off thread.

Regards,

Jay

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have seen the posting in the past regarding mandatory steel shot. I know my Beretta automatic will handle steel but I thought steel would damage most barrels, i.e. I sure would hate damage my Perazzi.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lead to steel conversion

lead to steel shot conversion