1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead tape and Lock Time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I am a release shooter. And sensitive to the lock time on my triggers. If the lock time is too slow, I typically "fall on my face" waiting fo rthe gun to go off. And so, I have learend to adapt to a slower trigger with the use of lead tape to slow the gun and have the bbl "be in the bird" when the gun goes off. If the trigger is too fast, I tend to short shoot. So, lead tape for me slows the bbl to the target. And when I get it just right I break a lot of targets. When it is too slow, my cross dominance takes over and I jerk the gun around.

I add tennis raquet lead tape to the underside of the bbl. And continue to add it until the coordination is just right. I guess shooting a couple thou singles targets would provide the same coordination, but the shorter learning curve with the lead tape suits me. I guess I could opt for a "weight" attqached to the bbl but you cannot add the weight in increments as you can with lead tape. My current weight is about 1-1/2 oz.

I'll get a pic of my bbl later today and put it up.

And yes... It is a slow day on my rock

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can you adjust the lock time of the trigger by changing a spring or two. ? HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Yes lock time can be changed with springs. But, most shooters expand the definition of lock time (hammer fall time) to include trigger travel time and the trigger pull force. The trigger travel time is much greater than the lock time and springs will usually not change the trigger travel time. Trying to change the trigger pull force with springs is a very poor idea.

Pat Ireland

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ya'll are thinking too much, just shoot!!!!

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jack, you're kidding, right? This may sound crazy and it's just a quick thought right off the top of my head, but why not just have a gunsmith make the trigger faster? I had the Timney releases for my 870 and 1100 worked on to make their total lock time as close as possible to that of my primary gun. I guess I could have added weight to both guns but for some reason, having the triggers improved made more sense to me.

Ed

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

MIA, I got more tape than you.... Naaahhh

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Folks, not all of us release users are nuts, honest. LOL

8. JACK

Ok. I give. Old guys like me get a bit whacko. Never happens to guys like Ave ED, et al. So here is the tape on the bbl. About 4 layers that adds up to near 2 ounces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is yet another way to speed up or slow down the shot.

This trigger postion is hard to hold onto and is "fast"
    [​IMG]

This trigger position is also fast, but not quite as fast because of finger having more leverage.
    [​IMG]

This 3rd position seems to fit me best but it needs some tape adjustment (a little less)
    [​IMG]

And this full rearward position seems to be too slow. Needs much more tape.
    [​IMG]

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A much more elegant solution...

10. JACK

[​IMG]

You get 2 strips for the bbl from this pkg. About $4. Too, I can tell you that when you weight your bbl in this fashion the additional weight is very usable without hanging 4 ounces down by the forend. So I have $8 in lead on this bbl and the gun definitely hangs in the target better and longer.

11. JACK

Ian is right. But the lead tape has a more natural feel because it is spread over the bbl. I had reducer (old spring/lead type) built into the space on my first DB81 and that worked, but this works for it's intended purpose and tha tis to slow the bbl movement thru the shot. How much are those Ian?

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jack, my MX3 wears a Meadow Industries stick on 3 oz barrel weight so the balance point and swing feel is almost like the high heavy rib TMX. I know all about short shooting the bird when the trigger is too fast and I know about bailing out of the stock when the trigger is too slow!

13. JACK

Mike. absolutely. I think those are the "nuts". But my point is that you can experiment with little bits of lead this way and find some additional targets by slowing the shot when using a release trigger. Will it work wiht a pull? I would think so. The weighting has definitely got me more comfortable wiht hard lefts. Adn too, we all know cross-fires are a "myth" but this little bit extra weight tends to keep the gun in the zone that breaks the target. Is more better? NO, I think you experiment to find your own speed spot with lead strips. And next time I get bored, I think I will try a permanent parker on the lead andsee if it looks more like a blued bbl.

14. JACK

And fo ryou guys that are still non-believers, consider this... How well would this improve a aftermarket back bored bbl? Would return it to natural weight in a flash.

15. JACK

Yoda. My issue is blowing past the bird, and trying to follow thru by "staying in the target. I shoot a bit faster than the average Joe Schmo and the bird is still in it's major elevation mode. But I think you hav e apoint that I hadn't considered. I'll think about how that might work into this comment.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about adjusting the speed of your shells so they are in harmony with your swing speed. Since you need slower shells, you can use less powder in each shell. This will save you money instead of spending your hard earned dollars on lead tape. HMB

17. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

How about waiting til you see the target more clearly than just jumping at it as soon as it leaves the house--sounds to me like you"re jumping and poking rather than swinging.

18. JACK

Comp. Jumpin and pokin is all the fun I have! If I get a better look then my left eye takes over and I crossfire and "stab" at the target. What's an old guy to do?

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

MIA- $60 inc shipping for up to 10" in length (which is approx 4.4oz).

If I recall correctly, birchwood casey cold blue SHOULD blacken the lead tape (maybe someone here can confirm).

20. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

MIA,

I haven't dumped on you for awhile so here goes.

You can make LESS sense using MORE words, and spread MORE CRAP in LESS time, than anyone I know. And, most people can't figure out what the hell you're talking about, anyway.

Best,

Booger

PS I, also use lead tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.