1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Shot Recovery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tgm, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgm

tgm TS Member

Has anyone used or heard of a lead shot recovery operation in Chardon OH doing business under the name of Range Services LLC??

Our local club is looking into lead recovery because of the high lead prices these days and has almost spent the proceeds already due the projected high numbers.

I can't find any info on this firm and when a business just has aPO box I tend to get worried.

This guy is quesstimating a 20% split on what they think is there but they don't guarentee anything. Kinda of like a pig in a poke!

What is the concensus of lead recovery these days and has anyone had any lingering issues with local authorities concerning lead runoff, well water issues etc.??

Any help is appreciated,

Tom in PA

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been quoted 34 66 %

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Call DGC in michigan. They just had the harvest done." Scott Benke is the manager

4. smp005

smp005 Member

Tom,

Give me a call - 330.416.9710

They are recovering my range right now...

Scott Powell
    Range Manager
    North Lawrence Fish & Game
    North Lawrence, OH

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Any Lead shot recycling in the North East? Especially rifle and pistol bullets.
    Since 1926 we've been shooting at the same burms. Club built Trap field in the 70's. Never been touched. Thanks, Dave T.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

7. scorpman

scorpman Member

Dave,

Nate and I will bring some shovels and screens to the Spring Cleanup.

~Jeff

8. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

my club is useing this company at our club so far they have missed many deadlines and we have found better deals with at least 1 other lead clean up company lokk around and before you sign up with them.

9. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

We will be working in the east/NE in late 2011/early 2012. Please visit our website or contact me directly.

Dick Gries

262-251-4861

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

Based upon my experience with lead recovery at my club, I suggest you figure a way to insure that every barrel that's harvested winds up on the Bill of Laden of the freight hauler. Most but not all are what I call "fly by nighters" meaning here today and gone tomorrow. You should have a means to monitor every vehicle that leaves your club during the entire process, both night and day. Remember they will have on sight a fork lift to load a barrel a day in their truck to be hauled off sight and sold by them eliminating your cut.

These crews work long hours from daylight till dark and after because time is money and they want to move on to the next job during the harvesting season. This assumes you are doing a "dry recovery". If your club has a locked gate thats a plus to prevent barrels disappearing during the night. A 55 gal. drum will net about 2600 lbs of lead depending on how clean it is.

It does not matter if you have some sort of split arrangement or plan on keeping your share on site, theft will still be a problem during the recovery process. You will will also need to make sure you receive from the recycler who buys the lead, documments that state how much weight they received from your job for each truck load. The contractor will most likely make the arrangements with the lead recycler and will issue a check to your recovery outfit who will then issue a check to you for your cut.

What I trying to tell is there are many oppertunities for you to be ripped off during this process, even if the contractor is honest. Keep in mind this is dusty and dirty work and the work crew will not be college graduates or sing in the church choir. There is plenty of oppertunities for the crew to rip you off and the contractor as well.

Fill in the blanks here and be very cautious.

11. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

VNVET is correct in encouraging clubs to do some "due diligence" when considering hiring a lead reclaimer to harvest their club. Some points to consider:

* Do they visit the club for soil assessments prior to agreeing to harvest?

* Do they have a website and provide a ready list of references to contact?

* What is their method of reclamation? Dry or wet?

* What type/size of equipment do they use? Does it arrive on-site on tractor/trailers or pulled in with a pick-up truck?

* If a proposal is offered, is it written in 'plain speak', clearly written and understandable with full disclosure of revenue share, no hidden charges or confusing revenue share gimmickry?

* Do they give the club a copy of the bill of lading for each load shipped out?

* Do they stay on the job until it is finished or leave if heavy rains commence?

There are a few other points to consider, but these are the biggies. Considering that club payouts routinely hit six figures, choose wisely....

Dick Gries

Gipson-Ricketts LLC

262-251-4861

see website above

12. VNVET

VNVET Member

Dick....I contacted Lynn early in our project but we could not get a schedule that worked for us. I contacted you first because I know lynn and have great respect for him. There are many outfits out there who have jumped on to the lead recovery business who previously ran a gravel business and quickly recognized the money to made in lead recovery and most do a half ass job. They will scrape off the top and easy to reach fruit which will give them the most profit per hour of work and move on to the next easy job. Most will give big estimates of how much lead can be recovered then have excuses when that falls short. If all you want to do is satisfy the EPA by saying you have used "Best Management Practices" and cleaned up your lead, then that's fine. They will process dirt by the yard and the cost is the same if the yeild of lead is 200 lbs or 2 lbs.

The job will be price (your cut) based on the low hanging fruit and will quickly move on to the next low hanging fruit. If I had it to do over again I would inspect every truck that leaves the property during the actual harvesting, and count the barrels at the end of each day and the start of the next day. I would do this every day the crew is on the job. I would also keep the clubs cut of the barrels on site, provided there is a secured place to keep them, and negotiate my own contract with the recycler and deal directly.

This has been my experience and some on here may have a better experience or didn't look close enough and arent aware they were ripped off. I WILL be smarter the next time.

Jim

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Contact Gipson-Ricketts and your cares are over.

Great guys with a great work crew!

Did us a fine job!

Danny Bennett
    Rush County Conservation Club, Inc.
    Rushville Indiana

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Talked to Dick Gries today. Very nice person. Hoping he can do some recovery for my club. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gipson-ricketts shot recovery
lead reclamation services

lead shot reclaimers

lead shot recovery companies

recovering lead shot

shooting range lead recovery plan

trap range lead recovery

trap range lead recovery iowa