1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Shot (Old Lawrence)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by J. Slimmstone, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. Slimmstone

J. Slimmstone Member

I have recently aquired about a ton of lead shot that appears to have been around for years. Apparantly the lead has been subject to moisture and has oxidized. I do not want to use it until I can get the oxidation off and somewhat polished. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. RedScare

RedScare Member

It will kick up dust as you load it. I loaded up 1 bag of it about 2 years ago. I've heard mixed opinions from it is dangerous for near by shooters and an injustice, to others saying go ahead i used it lots of times. Don't forget inhaling that dust can cause lead poisoning. I use an air filter behind my reloader all the time.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Cement mixer, graphite?

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

However you clean it, yer gonna still have to dispose of the oxides some how...into the air or into the ground...one's as bad as the other, I suppose.

Keller

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I clean and polish reclaim all the time. I'll clean, polish, & graphite you lead for one third (1/3) of the shot. Shootrman795@aol.com

6. plinker611

plinker611 Member

reclaim may not be as bad as old (possibily wet,then,dry oxidized shot),the dust is moore washed out when the reclaimed is washed.if i had to do this amount of shot i would find the best way to do the wet method first,to get rid of as mutch of the dust as possible,just dont do it where your living,gardening,or letting your grandkids/pets play.and then finish the dry shot with a cement mixer,and graphite.mark

7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Slim:

If you decide not to mess with it, I would be interested in buying, provided I could figure out some reasonable way to get it here.

Mike

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dry the shot and tumble it in a mixer-borrowed. Then take it outside and use your shop vac. with the hose on the blow side and trickle the shot through the air stream and add graphite and tumble it.

9. J. Slimmstone

J. Slimmstone Member

Thank you all again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.