1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead shot magnet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A local shooter, always looking for new wheels to reinvent, makes six-inch square wooden frames out of 1"x1" pine and staples a layer of screen over it. He was handing them out a few months ago and said that if you pour the mixture onto the screen and shake it, the powder will pass through, leaving the shot on the screen.

I've not tried mine, having been fortunate enough to not have had to worry with enough of such a mixture to warrant concern. On the odd occasion that I have wound up with one shell's worth of mixed materials, I have just poured it into the trash.

Ed

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It also works without the magnet only the shot rolls away from the powder.

First learned that panning technique using a Pink Floyd albumn jacket and some other kind of mixture ......

3. psfive

psfive Member

There is a hole in my loading bench that I sweep all spills down.
    Screwed to the underside of the bench top is a three sided box.
    In the three sided box are three trays, 8" x 8" x 1-1/2" deep.
    The top tray has a 1/4" hardware cloth bottom in it, it stops primers.
    The middle tray has steel window screen in it, it stops all shot.
    The bottom tray has a solid bottom in it, all powder ends up here. the system has worked for me like this for over fifteen years.
    If this is not a good enough description I guess I could post some pictures. Let me know. Paul in Nebraska.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Just pour the mess through a coarse kitchen strainer or a cheapo sink drain strainer (pictured)...looks like window screen...shot gets caught and powder goes through. Works with #8 shot and Clay Dot.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

Goes to show you:

andybull_2008_25091.jpg

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

Mike, what MK does is the cheapest and easiest way. You can pick up a kitchen drain strainer for a buck or two. Mike. P.S., you have a PM. Mike

7. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

I use a vacuum cleaner...with hose attached and my wifes pantyhose. Only one leg.
    Stuff the leg of the p hose down the hose..turn on and get close enough to suck the powder and not the shot. this same configuration works when you got to clean up a mess of shot when the neck breaks on the shot bottle of a Mec. Been there done that. for the shot put one of those narrow attachments on it too.

good Luck

Dave

8. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

wolfram

I nearly spit water all over the computer and lmao! I've seen the same technique with a frisbee.

Tom

9. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Tom...

I haven't stopped laughing!

10. Jimmmer

Jimmmer TS Member

i just put everything in the shot bootle and shoot it

11. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

Works like a charm! $3 at Walmart in the kitchen department. Powder falls through and shot stays in the strainer.

Joe

joesmoke_2008_030315.jpg

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm with Smoking Joe

13. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Mister Smarty-Pants retired scientist is inventing complicated ways of doing simple tasks.

Sheesh Mike, you must be bored stiff. Don't worry, the trap range opens at the club on Thursday.

Your pal Phil.

14. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I use the exact same thing Unkown 1 uses Red Dot and Clay no. 8 shot seperates great. Cheap tool to.

15. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Wolfram, Pretty funny!

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Was or is that Pink Floyd the Rock Star?

17. rocktire

rocktire Member

Vacuum works great or pour it in your hand and blow the powder away I guess if you had a bunch to do it would be worth the trouble of all this other stuff but for me it only happens once in 500 or so loads.

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I just light the powder.

tony

19. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I have Wad magnets for sale for those that reuse plastic wads.$19.99 if you write in the next 30 minutes. But wait,if you write within the next 10 minutes I'll double the offer! 2 Wad magnets for the price of one and only pay S&H on the second Wad magnet! That's 2 Wad magnets for $19.99 plus S&H. Save big bucks on not having to buy wads. Also available for sale is the California powder gas trap, $29.99 each. Reuse your powder gas and save on powder costs. Just attach to your muzzle and save BIG! I'll combine offers and include the exclusive Patent Pending once fired primer reconditioner. Make once fired primers look and shoot like new. Your friends can't tell the difference from your regular duds! FREE with your combined order of the Wad magnet and Powder Gas Trap. Let your wife help you collect wads and gas. Your wife will think you're SO smart! Mail Credit Card info to: Alcatraz State Prizon, cell #2011 San Fran Ca.999999 or something like that, Attn: Duck Head

20. Peasant

Peasant TS Member

Try a cookie sheet with a small hole punched in one corner...Pour the mix at the opposite end of the corner with the hole... slightly tip the cookie sheet... gently tap the bottom and watch the shot roll away from the powder...

If this process is used...that will be 20 bucks please...30 bucks will get you a cookie sheet with a hole... PM me for an address to send payment... :O)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.