1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Shot Dust

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mountainsteve, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I have noticed significant dust in my shot lately when reloading. Based on a few random samples I also counted between 8 & 10 percent of the shot is dull looking. I am using Lawrence Brand Magnum shot. Has anyone else had this issue? Also wondering if the rough dull shot may affect performance? Mostly concerned about the lead dust?

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have not noticed a problem of excess dust. Please send me 8 bags of 7 1/2's for testing.

Charlie

3. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Good come back Charlie. I'll just wear a mask and hope it doesn't hurt my scores before I give it away. Plus now I have another excuse for missed targets.

4. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Found the same with my bags of Lawrence. Called Lawrence and the lady said it's bound to happen once in a while as they process so much shot. A lot of the pellets were not polished and looked like reclaim but she said no.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Could be some oxidation due to getting damp. I always wear a mask when pouring shot into my Dillon hopper.

Had my blood lead levels checked recently and was shocked at how high they were. That's not healthy.

6. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jerry944t---- If you always wesr a mask while pouring shot into your hopper and jave high levels of lead in your blood you need to look elsewere to fimd out where you are exposed to lead cuz your lead shot is not doing. It. Just a suggestion. Terry

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have reloaded for years and had serum lead test. It was negative. Maybe if I had lead in the blood I would know where the lead went on those hard lefts.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

When I pour my shot into a container before I pour into the bottles or my Dillon hopper,I do see dust coming out of the shot bag and I use Lawrence mag shot---No mask but the dust settles somewhere in my reloading room...Must be somewhere----Now I wonder---But at my age,guess it's not a problem---I hope.

George@SJB

9. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I appreciate all the input. From these post and advice from my good friend flabigpapa I am satisfied that the dust is graphite used in the polishing process. Also based on big papa's opinion The small amount of unpolished lead shot will not hurt my scores nearly as much as lifting my wooden head off the wooden stock.

10. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Steve, Now Thats Funny..

11. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Bart, See Coach, I do trust your advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead shot and lead dust