1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead shot curtain cost?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

rough idea on the cost of a lead shot curtain for 2 trap fields and 2 skeet fields (non-overlay)

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Skeet Man, Are these combination fields? And how are you going to configure the screening of a skeet field with the different angles that it is shot at? It's my understanding that the screening material has a life span,3 to 5 years perhaps. Also some people are putting the screening on a sliding system.That means that they are "opening and closing" each day of use. I hope that you are able to put some good information on here for us all. Thanks, Bob H.

4. skeet_man

Alder- I have no clue as to the setup of the curtains. They are not overlay fields. I'm not even sure it can be done on skeet fields, i was just volunteered to find out costs for my club if possible.

5. skeet_man

devils- thanks for the info. As luck would have it, thats exactly what my guess figure was

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Devils Advocate,

You might be thinking of either the Wrentham Sportsmens Association or the Uxbridge Rod and Gun Club, both of which were told by the Mass DEP that they had to stop shooting trap because the lead shot was falling into wetlands. Uxbridge needed only to re-orient their trap range so that the shot went into a sand pit. They did have to put some kind of curtain at the top of the pit, but I don't think it was more than four or five feet high.

However, Wrentham didn't have that option, and they had to consider installing a shot curtain which would have cost them at least $70K, with no guarantee of its effectiveness. It went to a member vote and was shot down. The only other option they had was to change to steel shot, so they did.

These are both single-trap clubs, so they may not be the one that you referred to.

Porcupine

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

If you have access to a paper mill they regularly dispose of a felt like material that will do a fine job as a shot barrier.

8. Bob Hawkes

Skeet Man, Are you from Mass? It seems that whenever shot screens are discussed, it revolves around Taxachusetts clubs. Not a good situation for us. I can't visualize how you could screen a skeet field, and it would need to be 6-8 times longer than a trap field, and also considerably higher because of the different shooting angles.Are our days numbered within this State? I sure hope not, but the challenges may be to costly and cumbersome to overcome. I was hoping that some positive information might show up here. Bob H.

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Hope Global sells the material. We are a small club in Florida and are looking for help designing the pole system. Sliding sounds like a good idea. Maybe curtains that could be lowered would work. We have some minor wind problems to overcome. If you are interested in working with us, drop me a note. Make you subject line clear as to why the email. I delete a lot of stuff.

A club in Ca hung used conveyor belting. That is a excellent idea if you have access to a plant that uses a lot of lightweight belting. It should last forever. The draw back is weight.

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

That and the fact that conveyer belts are usually about 3 ft. wide. Maybe 4 sometimes. Someone should look into that material they often hang around tennis court fences. It is a pretty tight knit that you can't even see thru at some places. That is what I saw put up at a golf course where one house owner was going to sue if his house got hit with one more golf ball. He was right near a green that people were driving. There is no way in heck that the tennis court material would be many thousands of dollars for only one field!

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The big problem is that the material needs to be UV stable and the weave open enough to allow some air through but no shot. It is esentially heavy duty window screen. If it degrades too quickly, you will be spending a small fortune relpacing the stuff. The paper mill roller stuff does not last. We want a systm that never needs to be lowered. Too much of a P.I.T.A. at our club. I am waiting on a reply from Chuck Warren who was heavily involved with the shot curtain construction in Billerica, MA. We are trying to plan a trip from Michigan out to their club see the results of all of their work close up and personal. I will take as many photos as I possibly can to give a better understanding of their set up. Photo attached.

Jeff

12. skeet_man

our club is in upstate ny actually, with a a problem caused by shooting into "wetlands" (under 1 acre of water, only seasonal, and only cause b/c we are part of drainage for the area and the town has fallen behind on maintaining the water flow like there supposed to).

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Hey Ian, Brett here. What club? I only ask because we are in the same neck of the woods and we all share basically the same concerns. E-mail me above if you would prefer. Thanks Ian.

14. break25

break25 TS Member

Plese keep this post going with anymore information.

CHAZZ

15. break25

break25 TS Member

16. jwsesq.

jwsesq. TS Member

i'm the treasurer of a trap club north of boston that was forced by MA state

DEP to install a lead shot curtain. the material is available from a RI

company called Hope Global. our system works like a shower curtain and is so

far working nicely. please email me directly for more info. i could talk on

the phone if you'd like and possibly email some pix of the setup.

Jared

17. break25

break25 TS Member

Jared, just sent you an Email.

CHAZZ

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

In europe- I have seen shot curtains combined with a tarp ground covering or a cement catchment area-- the shot litterally lays on it-- and the curtains cover all sides of a field

Their shot curtains tend to be close in affairs for limited space--

Here in the US we might use them to just prevent shot from dropping over a certain boundary -- a much more limited use

I have seen those paper mill rolls used on old Telephone polls--

Gene

19. Bob Hawkes

Gene, Do you think that you could get any information on what you saw over there. It's my understanding that distance is critical for the materials used locally here, too close is a real problem. Perhaps they are using a different material over there. Any info would be a great help to those of us that are faced with this problem from governing authorities. Shoot well, Bob H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead curtins cost

skeet field boundry poles