1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead shot check

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bought 1 bag of lawrence magnum shot 7.5. Was my first shot purchase loaded it up shot well with it. Went back bought last 2 bags 1 #8 other 7.5s. I loaded the eights noticeable smaller. Then open 7.5s wow much bigger average of ten measured .11, these where all very uniform round and in size. Then went to get lead at other location bought 2 bags of lawrence brand magnum 7.5 all though they measure .92 .95 in each bag there is a noticable difference in shot. Looking a shot through a class jar you can see about a 30% raw lead looking shot, no graphite. I weighed the 2 different shot types. graphite coated ran 1.5 grains average out of fifty, non grahite ran on average 1.1 with a 1.3 being the high side. Yesterday I got my club order,well sort of. Ended up with 1 bag of Eagle brand chilled shot from Puru? #7.5 pluged out fifty ranged from .88 to .97 with the average beeing .94, but a tad light about 1 grain each ? So NOW what is heavier chilled or magnum. I did count a few of my drops in the begining 1oz was getting about 335 to 350 pellets. I dont think ill count pellet drops again,,,,,,,,bad dreams now. shot every where!

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since antimony is lighter than lead, obviously chilled shot is heavier. Magnum shot has up to 6% antimony depending on the brand.

HM

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

wtf, messages column says 3 and their wer only 2 posts.

Must be the new math.

PS just hit the submit button, still says 3. oh, well.

HM

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is it normal for it to vary as much? I like the 7.5 the best so far just seems to smash targets from 16. I have not shot all that much handicap. I shoot the STS 1 1/8 loads for handicap.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

maclellan1911

The argument of 7 1/2s vs 8s has been going on since before Al Gore invented the internet. Good round hard shot is a good thing. It would be good to have some consistency in size and shape, as well as proper hardness. I have found that Lawrence Magnum Shot has historically been excellent shot. Even their chilled shot has been great. You may occasionally get a bag of ANY brand that isn't quite right. All else being equal, Chilled shot has less Antimony and more Lead in it's composition, so will be more dense and weigh more for a given volume. Magnum shot will contain more Antimony and less Lead, so will weigh less for a given volume, since it is less dense. Antimony is less dense than Lead and will weigh less than Lead for a given volume. A lot of Graphite is not needed. Only just enough for proper lubrication during the loading process is required. Too much makes a mess and too little can cause some drop/consistency issues.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The number stamped on a bag of shot, in many cases, is nothing more than an approximate indicator of the size of shot in the bag. There is some variation in shot size in every bag of shot. With most shot made in the USA, the variation seems to be fairly low. It is much greater in shot shipped from South America.

I did have several bags from one US shot maker that must have been filled with whatever size shot they had around at the time and the bags were stamped with the number 8 because that was the stamp that was available at the time.

So many shooters prefer 7.5 shot for handicap but it would be much more accurate to state that they prefer to shoot shot from bags stamped 7.5 at handicap.

Pat Ireland

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Next- Graphite on shot. When I made my own shot, i did not coat the shot with graphite. In my reloading system, I could never detect any difference between shot lubricated with graphite and unlubricated shot.

I have never been convinced that the graphite on shot has a real function beyond producing a cosmetic coating.

Pat Ireland

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have not been reloading long enough to have any loading results. There has been a lot of talk about shot so I did some checking. I have a stock pile of lead that ive slowly been smelting. Soon to get a shot maker.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Pat: Do you think there is any merit in the theory about the shot being graphited when there was no plastic wad columns, so the shot would slide through the cones and choke better? Thus helping deformation. Could it be a carry over from those days?

I read the theory in a very old Winchester publication. Well before plastic wading. But to carry it one step further, if the shot is still moving against itself in the wad as it goes through the cone wouldn't the effect be the same?

Ajax

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ajax- Your suggestion about the lubricant allowing shot to slide past each other rather than becoming deformed by the contact seems logical. My point was that I have never seen any solid data to confirm that the graphite was important. I would be interested in seeing some pattern data with lubricated shot and shot from the same bag with the graphite removed.

Pat Ireland

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just scored a bag of shot at yard sale called STAR shot imported. 7.5s measured ten when i got home .92 smallest .98 largest. looks uniform and round.
    10bucks. I have not Seen star yet? Should we exspect to see more imported lead?

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

maclellan1911

Star shot is usually made in Peru. It's OK, but not the best. I did find it slightly better than another popular South American product. It's fairly uniform and round. The hardness isn't all that bad, judging from my crude comparison test. At $10 a bag, get all you can find.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

there was only one bag.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I got 20 bags of Star Shot several years ago. I found that the size and shape of the shot was a little irregular. But, both my shooting and bowels are also irregular so it fit my style OK.

Pat Ireland

15. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Pat,

An eight-ounce glass of water into which is placed two ounces of um-popped popcorn and an ounce ounce of kitty litter taken every day for a week will ream your bowels and rreturn their uniformity.

Rollin

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rollin,

Should the kitty litter be new, or used?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.