1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead shot ban in Iowa proposed by IDNR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I just got an alert from NRA stating that the Iowa DNR Commission is going to try to ban lead from Iowa an fishing, hunting, target shooting both rifle and shotgun.
    Hang on!

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Someone needs to tell them that all the lead on the ground shields Iowa's groundwater from the Japanese Radiation.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What did they do, hire some A---hole from California?

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Lead, Iowa DRN at link.

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

IOWA------Idiots Out Walking Around.

Jim

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Well, we have had democratic governors for the last twelve years for one thing.
    I think out last governor thought that diversity was of a higher priority than common sense when appointing people to positions, not unlike our current president I might add.
    Our area is being over run with Canada geese and the people who are in charge of the closed hunting zone will not hear of reducing it's size to allow more of them to be taken.
    I have seen more eagles this week alone than I saw in the first two thirds of my life.
    I know that birds can and ingest lead and that if they do it can be harmful, but I think this issue has been unfairly represented and overblown in the past.
    I believe it is a solution in search of a problem.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I was just talking to a person from the DNR that works in the offices at the Wallace Building about Dove Hunting. He is a trapshooter, hunter and fisherman and didn't mention anything about a lead shot ban.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have to ask... if anyone actually has some insight... the IOWA website explains that lead has been in use in ammunition and fishing tackle for THOUSANDS of years...

In the time of Jesus and the Romans, did they use any lead ammo in their firing arms (did they have firing weaponry?!) I'm sure they used nets for fishing, how they were weighted, I don't know, but Eagle Claw and Mepps are relatively new companies...

regards all,

Jay

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Spiiter - I believe the Romans used a crew-served crossbow that fired bolts (arrow/darts) and lead balls.

10. below 0

below 0 TS Member

In the Iowa website it states that the lead shot is toxic to all animals. I cannot believe that I am still walking around after handling lead shot for the past 45 years. It hasn't effected me toooooo much! I surprised that all reloaders aren't on the wrong side of the dandilions..Odie

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sorry to hear this. Its going to be coming to all our states, Just a matter of time.

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It has already started in many States. We have had the battle in Washington a number of times. It helps to make a lot of phone calls.

Ajax

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The lead issue is no different then the "Alar" scare, Global Warming, Spotted Owl, Wolf reintroduction, etc, etc.

There are people in government positions that are looking for something to "DO" and love the power they have!!!!

Anyone who favors any of the above issues, should be put on the unemployment line!!

They are pushing weird and false science!!!!!

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Al they have to do is mention it now and within 5 to 10 years the younger people will be condition after hearing of this a few times through the years and then it will be passed. Its mainly caused by todays shooters and hunters and outdoorsman not speaking out with serious voice to the liberals and shutting them up permenatly. If they are not pushed out for good they will be back. Wild Bill

15. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

Jim 101; Why don't you try offering something constructive instead of trying to act like a comedian. To label all Iowan's like that is just plain rude. We can only do something about thing like this when we become aware of it. How about giving us a chance before you start throwing around insults.

Ken Brandt

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Any link to the actual proposal?

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I got an email from one commissioner after I got the notice from the NRA and presented it to him. He told me he was the only one who didn't favor a lead ban and for all Iowan's to contact the Iowa DNR commission and express your views.

18. Brian in Oregon

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Link to NRA announcement above.

Quotes from NRA announcement below.

"According to the Commission, the purpose of imposing this ban is to “begin limiting the use of lead for all hunting and fishing on all public areas”. The proposed ban would also designate three wildlife areas as completely “lead free,” including rifle ammunition and fishing tackle"

"The ban will also prohibit the use of lead shot in target shooting."

Note the link and quotes are from NRA. I haven't found anything about target shooting at the IDNR website. If somebody does, please post the link.

20. Brian in Oregon

Thanks. Spreading the word and providing links on other sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.